Rank(ed)! The Smiths’ 50 Greatest Songs - MOJO

Rank(ed)! The Smiths’ 50 Greatest Songs - MOJO
Does the mind rule the body, or the body rule the mind? Songs that wrestle with that conundrum and more, as featured in the new issue of MOJO.

By PAUL STOKES JULY 1, 2016

Excerpt:

In the new issue of MOJO (August 2016 / #273), on sale in the UK from July 28, we celebrate The Smiths’ unique universe by presenting their 50 greatest songs.

...Get the new issue of MOJO for the full Hatful, but for now check out MOJO’s bare-bones rundown of The Smiths’ 50 Greatest Songs.

38825_273-cover-tease-no-type-smiths-770.jpg

Related item:

What's number one?

How Soon is Now. An obvious choice like Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. The great thing about the link is that you can watch and listen to each if you want. I quite liked This Night has Opened my Eyes.

Lists like this are inevitably flawed in their construction, but it does show how many great songs there are to enjoy. A catalog any band would be thrilled to have.

PS. How handsome he is in this picture. I think I must have this shirt. Retro cool :cool:

The have the lyrics incorrectly sequenced in their attempt to quote Still Ill. For me, that brings a massive veil of illegitimacy to the whole list, or rankings...I haven't looked yet, but most top 5s will include one or two of the same, but even a top ten is hard. It's personal- for me: Still Ill, I Want the One I Can't Have, The Headmaster's Ritual, Reel Around..., Handsome Devil/ This Charming Man... So there!

Lists are about all they can do in magazines now.
I wonder what overly-subjective tool was used to gleam the 'greatest' aspects of a song.
Throw in a bit of 'edge' by ranking clearly popular singles below tracks their average readers won't know.
There are just over 70 Smiths tracks - They may of well just 'ranked' them all.
This is just the physical world's version of click bait.
Regards,
FWD

Some of those videos are homemade by fans...but it was still funny to see a young Dick York from Bewitched pop up in #30.

I stopped reading when they put 'Well I Wonder' in at 29. That is the best song The Smiths ever wrote and they put it at number f***en twenty nine?

I think our [Morrissey-solo] list, Houdini made and did with help, was far more better, but Morrissey songs were also included.

This one is , well, good PR for the Smiths.

What Difference Does It Make? Best Smiths song ever. Period.

Flicking through it in the newsagents today, there is one mildy interesting sidebar which examines the 'best' Andy Rourke basslines, with comments from Andy confirming that he wrote at least some of them ('Barbarism' being a riff he'd had in his head for ages, 'The Queen is Dead' being a bit directionless until he came up with the bassline, etc). I know there has been a bit of controversy in these parts, from some who think that because he never got writing credits everything was already written and presented to him by Johnny.

Flicking through it in the newsagents today, there is one mildy interesting sidebar which examines the 'best' Andy Rourke basslines, with comments from Andy confirming that he wrote at least some of them ('Barbarism' being a riff he'd had in his head for ages, 'The Queen is Dead' being a bit directionless until he came up with the bassline, etc). I know there has been a bit of controversy in these parts, from some who think that because he never got writing credits everything was already written and presented to him by Johnny.

I could see that about the queen is. I really like his baseline in rusholme

These lists are for filling pages in magazines.
They are to make people post opinions. I think they used to be more effective but everyone has seen so many lists now people don't care as much.
You could basically put 50 random Smiths songs in a row and number them, and that's probably about what they do. But at least it's about The Smiths and I'm not sure how much new information there is to print, so you can't really blame the magazine completely.

€11 to learn nothing new and revisit old photos we've seen before. Do magazine publishers think everyone has Alzheimer's? I can't remember.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom