Rare reference discs (w/Unreleased Bonus Tracks - "Vauxhall and I", "Southpaw Grammar") on eBay

Extremely Rare Morrissey Reference Discs For Sale (w/Unreleased Bonus Tracks)

I’m offering a complete collection of Morrissey Rhino Reference Discs for sale. I previously offered these for sale last year when I was selling a part of my record collection. But after dealing with people who committed to purchases only to back out later (as well as various other time wasters), I opted not to bother. However, I decided to give this another shot since I’m acquiring some incredible rarities in the upcoming weeks and honestly, they’re quite expensive and I need to cover my costs. That’s the only reason I’m even considering offering these again. So feel free to PM me for more specific information. I’ll add some additional info below.

For those not familiar, Rhino planned a series of re-issues to coincide with the release of Morrissey’s “You Are The Quarry” in 2004. All of Morrissey's prior albums (with the exception of Maladjusted) were fully remastered and the plan was to release extra “bonus” tracks along with each album. These extra tracks ranged from unreleased songs and demos to alternate versions and alternate mixes that have never been released officially.

Of course these releases never saw the light of day and only exist now in the form of in-house reference CDRs (of which only very few were pressed). These CDs are labeled as "Internal Review Copies" that were meant for those working on the reissues to check for mastering errors, very few managed to fall into the hands of collectors. The “Legacy Reissue Series” was a hoax, but these are the real deal.

For the past decade, these discs have become among the most coveted Morrissey collectibles in private circles and are rarely even talked about. Not only are they exceedingly rare, they are simply impossible to come across since so few exist in the hands of collectors. You're unlikely to see them offered for sale again.

The complete collection of Morrissey Rhino Reference Discs includes:

Viva Hate
Bona Drag
Kill Uncle
Your Arsenal
Vauxhall And I
Southpaw Grammar

Some have two discs (album on disc one, bonus tracks on disc two), and some have just a single disc with bonus tracks added at the end.

Each album has unique bonus tracks offered and as I mentioned, many of them have never been released.

Currently, I have the reference discs for both Vauxhall And I and Southpaw Grammar on eBay, so you can check those out there:

Southpaw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131351987976?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Vauxhall: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131351997037?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ideally, I’d love it if these discs could all go to one person, but I realize that’s not very realistic given the expense.

Aside from the bonus tracks, it's my personal opinion that the remastering is the real star of these discs. Particularly for Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I, two releases that have always sounded dull and anemic to me in terms of mastering. On the two disc variation, Vauxhall especially shines as all the faults of that initial release are corrected, it sounds fantastic. It even betters the 2014 remaster by a considerable margin. The mastering of Viva Hate and Bona Drag are different from both the original releases and their official remasters, while Kill Uncle and Southpaw sound very close to their re-issued releases.

So feel free to PM me for more specific details and to make an offer. Serious offers only. Please don't waste my time asking endless questions about these items if you have no intention of making an offer, I dealt with too many flakes last time and it was exhausting.

I’m hoping these gems all find good homes.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Re: Extremely Rare Morrissey Reference Discs For Sale (w/Unreleased Bonus Tracks)

Yes if you don't like auctions don't use eBay. However many of you don't appreciate the value of a very hard to find item. Most of you want to pay next to nothing prices on hard to find items listed on eBay. Keep in mind when selling on eBay. There are both eBay fees and PayPal fees that need to be paid by the vendor. Both of which are usually high fees to be paid. I appreciate the value of rarities. I understand what sellers have to go through to to obtain an item that they wish to sell. While many of you want to pay dirt cheap price for such a raritie that you never see on eBay until someone decides to list it on eBay. Good for you Adam taking the money and knocking down the eBay listing. That's showing it to all you cheap customers.

Re: Extremely Rare Morrissey Reference Discs For Sale (w/Unreleased Bonus Tracks)

Maybe I'm clueless of this whole situation but a couple questions still remain,
1.) How could the winner of this auction ever realize a return on investment of this item if the digital form is thereafter available and the CD labels are easily reproduced, and more importantly,
2.) How is selling this material even legal?

Would Tom be so kind as to reveal what exactly is on the Viva Hate, Bona Drag, and Kill Uncle releases? Namely any content which was not available on the recent re-issues.

You know, you can simply report this jackass on eBay for copyright violation, and they'll pull his items from bidding and potentially close his account? It's quite simple. I've done it before to assholes...

Would Tom be so kind as to reveal what exactly is on the Viva Hate, Bona Drag, and Kill Uncle releases? Namely any content which was not available on the recent re-issues.

You can PM me from a real account and I'd be happy to.

As for copyright/legal issues, these are no different than selling a vinyl acetate or test pressing... no law or rule is being broken. If I went ahead and pressed my own vinyl with all the tracks on them, that would be a different story. However, those seem to get a pass as well in the marketplace as evident with releases like "Revelations." These aren't bootlegs, they're in a class by themselves and true collectors know exactly what they are. I spent many, many years collecting and developed relationships with other collectors and various sources. I've spent a small fortune over the years and many days were spent searching through bins, scouring the latest issues of Record Collector or Goldmine just to find the item I wanted. These discs didn't come to me easily and they came at great cost. But nowadays, people just have a sense of entitlement to everything and expect things to be handed to them immediately, it's a bit sad. I suppose people that really don't know about the cost and dedication relating to collecting will continue to be confused.

Last edited:

you can also go on passionsjustlikemine.com under the collector appendix

USA review copy of aborted reissue [Warner Strategic Marketing / Sire / Rhino]
In 2004 Warner Strategic Marketing / Rhino worked on a tentative reissue programme of Morrissey's first five studio albums ("Viva Hate, "Bona Drag", "Kill Uncle", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall & I"). These plans were shelved, but not before review copies were sent to various people involved in the project. The "Viva Hate" review cd features the album's basic 12-song track listing (so excluding American bonus track "Hairdresser On Fire"), plus six bonus tracks: "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name" (acoustic version), "Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness" (demo), "Little Man, What Now" (acoustic), "Bengali In Platforms" (alternate version), "Lifeguard On Duty" (unreleased), "Hairdresser On Fire" (early version). The cd-r has a white paper label with printed information, including release identification at the top, Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, and legal warnings on the left and at the bottom. The disc comes in a regular jewel case with clear tray. There is no front insert. The back white paper insert features the track listing, with Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, next to a legal warning.

In 2004 Warner Strategic Marketing / Rhino worked on a tentative reissue programme of Morrissey's first five studio albums ("Viva Hate, "Bona Drag", "Kill Uncle", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall & I"). These plans were shelved, but not before review copies were sent to various people involved in the project. The "Kill Uncle" review cd features the album's basic 10-song track listing plus 5 bonus tracks: "My Love Life" (full length version), "Striptease With A Difference", "Pregnant For The Last Time", "Trash (live Irvine)", "That's Entertainment (live Irvine)". The cd-r has a white paper label with printed information, including release identification at the top, Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, and legal warnings on the left and at the bottom. The disc comes in a regular jewel case with clear tray. There is no front insert. The back white paper insert features the track listing, with Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, next to a legal warning.

In 2004 Warner Strategic Marketing / Rhino worked on a tentative reissue programme of Morrissey's first five studio albums ("Viva Hate, "Bona Drag", "Kill Uncle", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall & I"). These plans were shelved, but not before review copies were sent to various people involved in the project. The "Your Arsenal" review cd features the album's basic 10-song track listing plus 6 bonus tracks: "There Speaks A True Friend (alternate version)", "Fantastic Bird (demo)", "Pashernate Love (long version)", "Seasick, Yet Still Docked (acoustic alternate)", "Let The Right One Slip In (alternate long mix)", "Jack The Ripper (b-side)". The cd-r has a white paper label with printed information, including release identification at the top, Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, and legal warnings on the left and at the bottom. The disc comes in a regular jewel case with clear tray. There is no front insert. The back white paper insert features the track listing, with Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, next to a legal warning.

In 2004 Warner Strategic Marketing / Rhino worked on a tentative reissue programme of Morrissey's first five studio albums ("Viva Hate, "Bona Drag", "Kill Uncle", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall & I"). These plans were shelved, but not before review copies were sent to various people involved in the project. The "Vauxhall & I" review cd features the album's basic 11-song track listing plus 5 bonus tracks: "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (electric)", "Black-Eyed Susan (alternate)", "Used To Be A Sweet Boy (orchestral)", "Interlude (Harmonium version)", "Swallow On My Neck (alternate)". The cd-r has a white paper label with printed information, including release identification at the top, Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, and legal warnings on the left and at the bottom. The disc comes in a regular jewel case with clear tray. There is no front insert. The back white paper insert features the track listing, with Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom next to a legal warning.

In 2004 Warner Strategic Marketing / Rhino worked on a tentative reissue programme of Morrissey's first five studio albums ("Viva Hate, "Bona Drag", "Kill Uncle", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall & I"). These plans were shelved, but not before review copies were sent to various people involved in the project. The "Bona Drag" review cd features the album's basic 14-song track listing plus 5 bonus tracks: "Get Off The Stage" (alternate version), "Happy Lovers United" (unreleased), "The Bed Took Fire" (early version of At Amber), "Oh Phoney" (unreleased), "Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference" (Electric Demo). The cd-r has a white paper label with printed information, including release identification at the top, Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, and legal warnings on the left and at the bottom. The disc comes in a regular jewel case with clear tray. There is no front insert. The back white paper insert features the track listing, with Sire and Rhino logos at the bottom, next to a legal warning.

Yes if you don't like auctions don't use eBay. However many of you don't appreciate the value of a very hard to find item. Most of you want to pay next to nothing prices on hard to find items listed on eBay. Keep in mind when selling on eBay. There are both eBay fees and PayPal fees that need to be paid by the vendor. Both of which are usually high fees to be paid. I appreciate the value of rarities. I understand what sellers have to go through to to obtain an item that they wish to sell. While many of you want to pay dirt cheap price for such a raritie that you never see on eBay until someone decides to list it on eBay. Good for you Adam taking the money and knocking down the eBay listing. That's showing it to all you cheap customers.

NO! If the SELLER doesn't like auctions, then don't use ebay and waste the bidders time. End of story.

There seems to be a huge amount of jealously surrounding these CDs.

After all Tom can do what he feels free with them, if he wants to sell via EBay then that is his decision. He bought them and has now decided to sell. Ebay is the biggest marketplace = maximum exposure.

Who's to say that the winner of the auctions won't share them.

Trying to ruin the auctions is just wrong.

More power to him. I've dealt with him in the past and he is reliable.

Hell's Teeth, that was exciting! I was having palpitations just watching :eek:

Looks like the same buyer sniped both lots, shelling out £1300 ($2000) in total.

Nice work if you can get it :)

I'll tell you what - if Tom doesn't pull the listing at the last minute like everyone expects him to do - I'll post a few things I have lying around.

So what about this now as Tom hasn´t pulled the listing? A man a word???

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Similar to the Revelation LP from a few years back, I always hoped the Miravel Seissions for Southpaw Grammer would be released in the same fashion.

Or Naughty?

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

;)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Or Naughty?

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

;)

Probably because it didn't go above $150. Why bother putting something on ebay only to remove it if it doesn't hit the amount you would be willing to let it go for. Put a reserve on it if that is the case. Sucks for the person that thought he would be getting it for $150.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom