Rate Your Moz/Smiths Song Part 5: ALL THE LAZY DYKES

How do you rate All The Lazy Dykes?

• Total voters

Johan de Witt

Houdini can't be here today, so he asked me to post today :)

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100. And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.
Song for Today: All The Lazy Dykes.

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Moz/Smiths by numbers
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-4 so far (voting will remain open):
1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, average rating : 8,90
2) A Swallow On My Neck, average rating: 8,04
3) Accept Yourself, average rating: 7,41
4) A Song From Under The Floorboards, average rating: 7,33

Last edited:
I'm afraid this song is my least favourite song of YATQ. :o

Really? I have always considered "How can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" to be the weakest spot. Allthought I wouldn't count this as a strong song I find it very representative for the poor production of YATQ. I can see the pontential but it fails halfways. It's like "Come Back To Camden"'s little sister (that's a song who will get a high rating).

would have voted a 2 if not for the "and I never felt so alive, in the whole of my life" bit.

That brings it up to a 4

I love this song. It’s one of my favourites.

would have voted a 2 if not for the "and I never felt so alive, in the whole of my life" bit.

That brings it up to a 4

yep that is the best part,

when quarry first came out i use to skip this track, although now i find its one of the most enjoyable. The best part is moz's singing towards the end, beautiful

I can't believe all the hatred for this song! Someone once even described it as sounding like a Kill Uncle b-side!

I think it's beautiful, and my second favourite from Quarry (after Jesus). It's understated, and the singing is beautiful.

I would give it two but It's Morrissey so showing up to the recording automatically gives him a 4...

This song makes no sense to me..It Says NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE...A Bunch Of Moped Riding Lesbians???? I'm sorry but this song is more BORING than The Lazy SUNBATHERS...What is it about LAZY people? I don't find it an entertaining subject...This song is the reason that I find Ringleader to be a better CD...Every song on THAT album is enjoyable..

I think Quarry would have been better served by 4 Minutes of Dead Air between Tracks 9 And 11

Or better yet ANY Of The B-sides...Especially The Never Played Symphonies or Friday Mourning

Where are all the people who LIKE this song?

Interesting that few have posted comments on it?

Where are all the people who LIKE this song?
Interesting that few have posted comments on it?

As I can see, I gave it a 7. On certain days it could be 8. There are lyrics much less original than of this song, but I like it mostly because of permeating sadness. He sings encouraging, but it still seems there's no way that certain persons could free themselves from the slavery of normal life.

I'm sorry but this song is more BORING than The Lazy SUNBATHERS...What is it about LAZY people?

If you find Lazy Sunbathers boring, so it's really unlikely we could get along, brother...
Perhaps you must be born in a town where children's summer camp was bombed in the eve of the war to enjoy it. And the land which was left alone, and WWII ended seventeen years ago due to the global interests.

Yeah, so it goes, blending politics and music.

I love this song, I think it's one of the strongest on the album. I love the way the chords progress like a waltz, I love the lyrics; I remember the first time I heard it, and the line "and when you look at me you actually see me" really jumping out at me. I'm not a dyke either, or a lazy one at that.

couldve gone with 7 becos of some of the production details that plague the entire album, but ido love this song and ifigured icould help balance off some of the ill will that iknow this song courts. really, idont understand why so many dislike this song so much- it's another brilliant lyric and is uniquely touching in that Mozesque way.

As a Lazy Dyke myself, I can appreciate the lyrics of this song... except for the line "All the Lazy Dykes" itself. I find that a bit disrespectful. I mean, would he ever write a song called "All the Lazy Fags"? I somehow doubt it. But I know he means well... so I can forgive him. The song is pretty dull though... the melody is barely there and musically, as Morrissey once said about someone else, one would get more passion from an anesthetized ape. Only a 6 from me.

Back
Top Bottom