Rick Astley mentions The Smiths to Rolling Stone

Music journalist Melinda Newman has interviewed 80s superstar Rick Astley for Rolling Stone following his sold out LA concert.

During the interview, Astley mentions his love for The Smiths:

Age has made me think I have to stop giving a shit what anybody else thinks and do exactly what I want to do, so one day I'm going to do a gig in Manchester where I'm going to sing [all] Smiths songs because I absolutely love the Smiths. I'll probably get lynched for it, but I just want to do it. Why not?

The full interview can be read online.

39036_rickastley.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He still looks great. Guilty pleasure x 100

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around
and desert you :guitar:

He's one of those guys that really got a lot better looking as he aged. And no disrespect to Moz for his unavoidably thinning hair (I'm in the same boat!) but Astley's quiff is more Morrissey than Moz has been able to manage in a llooonnnnggggg time! :)

Music journalist Melinda Newman has interviewed 80s superstar Rick Astley for Rolling Stone following his sold out LA concert.

During the interview, Astley mentions his love for The Smiths:

Age has made me think I have to stop giving a shit what anybody else thinks and do exactly what I want to do, so one day I'm going to do a gig in Manchester where I'm going to sing [all] Smiths songs because I absolutely love the Smiths. I'll probably get lynched for it, but I just want to do it. Why not?

The full interview can be read online.

-images-uploads-gallery-pip_ra_468-2780ebde-c6a7-4f11-b310-b4aadefd56c3.jpg

I would 100% go and see this.

Morrissey and rick were obviously quite friendly back then judging by the photo mozz used for the sleeve cover a couple of years ago.im sure Morrissey would approve of rick doing a full show of smiths songs.

He's one of those guys that really got a lot better looking as he aged. And no disrespect to Moz for his unavoidably thinning hair (I'm in the same boat!) but Astley's quiff is more Morrissey than Moz has been able to manage in a llooonnnnggggg time! :)

He's 7 years younger than Morrissey.

I saw him this year! One hell of a voice, still, after all these years and an incredibly down to Earth gig! Very friendly! I'd pay to see that! :)

Morrissey and rick were obviously quite friendly back then judging by the photo mozz used for the sleeve cover a couple of years ago.im sure Morrissey would approve of rick doing a full show of smiths songs.

Jesus.
morrissey and rick were never close friends, that pictures was takes at TOTP.
rick asked if morrissey would have a picture talen with him.
The only reason the picture was used for a record is as a " f*** you " to bowie.
Now it makes me laugh people wanting to see rick do smiths songs. jeez the guy was a shit pop star

He's got a nice deep voice that would suit the smiths music. Aside from a single or two I don't know anything about him

I was never a fan (I did always love "It Takes A Strong Strong Man") but I was actually glad his new album was a big hit in the UK. He has a good attitude about his past.

Last edited:
Jesus. the guy was a shit pop star

I rather see it as he had his place in time. Not everyone is meant to be timeless. He was and is definitely not sh*t.

His music made me happy. Lifted my spirits, and was extremely entertaining.

I expect nothing more from a pop star and appreciate his ability to do so.

Bieber's popularity is something I can't understand and someone that I don't believe deserves the fame he has, but that is the point of it.

If someone is able to create music that moves a large number of people, then they deserve a:tiphat:

I am not defending him. Personally just the fact that people like what they like is something I can't find fault with.

I find it a joy that The Smiths music is so timeless . To me it never seems out of fashion . Glad to see others who were so in love with them !

I think the Smiths should reform with Rick Astley on vocals instead of Morrissey. Just for a laugh, and a few quick bucks. Get the other 3 to agree and they wouldn't need Moz's permission to use the name, surely? :smilingimp:

I think the Smiths should reform with Rick Astley on vocals instead of Morrissey. Just for a laugh, and a few quick bucks. Get the other 3 to agree and they wouldn't need Moz's permission to use the name, surely? :smilingimp:
And all the people that always say The Smiths will reform but don't like Morrissey should be really pleased. I like it.

I think if he were to do as he suggests and perform an all Smiths set it would be an excellent opportunity to see how well he does with the songs.

It would be great to see them perform a one off tour just for the fun of it. Not everything has to be so serious and dire.

Tags
rick astley the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom