Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time drops 3 Smiths albums

Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

UPDATE Sep. 23:

Posted by sfchow:

Not sure if this been mentioned, but Morrissey did submit his list of albums to RS

(scroll down; right above Stuart Murdoch!)

I wonder if any of Morrissey's votes made it into the final 500...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

Related item:
Does this make such lists relevant again?

In truth, it probably does. There will be magazines dedicated to bands that have dropped out. It’s the only thing left to do.

Does this make such lists relevant again?
No, lists are stupid. And Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago. However, for this new list the voters included a range of people including other musical artists, music industry folks, and critics. I find it interesting to see what such folks think is "The Best". There are, in fact, many, many excellent albums on the list, but when you see something like Alanis Morrissette at sixty-something, you just have to laugh...

No, lists are stupid. And Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago. However, for this new list the voters included a range of people including other musical artists, music industry folks, and critics. I find it interesting to see what such folks think is "The Best". There are, in fact, many, many excellent albums on that list, but when you see something like Alanis Morrissette at sixty-something, you just have to laugh...
Was it 1991 when Morrissey declared pop music dead? He called it right. The Rain were just starting then.

Gotta make room for Childish Gambino and Lizzo...

Last edited:
Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago.
What have this magazine ever been? Not in my book. Seriously. These lists are the degree zero of intelligence, it stops make people pondering, feeling. We all know which are the ground breaking albums, which are the recordss that changed the face of music, the ones that valuable artists mention, the one that influenced contemporary bands and later acts, the ones that started new genres, the landmark records. I don't see a lot of them in their list very americano centred, the list is full with tons of best sellers, the blockbusters of their time. embarassing

Their top ten albums is all american artists bar the Beatles ! What a joke ?
kraftwerk, one of the most influential bands of all time should have been in the top 5 to start

No, lists are stupid. And Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago. However, for this new list the voters included a range of people including other musical artists, music industry folks, and critics. I find it interesting to see what such folks think is "The Best". There are, in fact, many, many excellent albums on the list, but when you see something like Alanis Morrissette at sixty-something, you just have to laugh...
Then, let’s move it up to “Never trust anyone over 60”. I haven’t even read the list but I know which album you’re referring to and it was pretty f***ing fantastic.

Have you tried mental floss for your selective list-apologist/loathing?

What have this magazine ever been? Not in my book. Seriously. These lists are the degree zero of intelligence, it stops make people pondering, feeling. We all know which are the ground breaking albums, which are the recordss that changed the face of music, the ones that valuable artists mention, the one that influenced contemporary bands and later acts, the ones that started new genres, the landmark records. I don't see a lot of them in their list very americano centred, the list is full with tons of best sellers, the blockbusters of their time. embarassing
Ummmm. Hunter S. Thompson was a hell of a national affairs writer, son. Rolling Stone used to be the BIBLE. ...but you’re far too young and full of avarice to have taken the time to read any of the articles in their back-issues. Some Pulitzer stuff in there.

Carry on then.

Related item:

This ignorance by some ragsheet, is a loss of lyrical and musical artistry to the world. It wouldn't know greatness if it hit them in the head. Yet in doing this, the ragsheet ,Can't break you. They unwittingly make you. " Not 1 Morrissey lp listed must certainly be a credit to Morrissey and his anti-capitalist and anti commercial credit. Well Morrissey, you will always be the most intoxicatingly-melancholic and sincerely thoughtful singer of rock n roll, pop singles and kind to animals as well. Yes ...it's time once again to put on, "You, ragsheet, Are the Quarry." C ya Morrissey xox

This ignorance by some ragsheet, is a loss of lyrical and musical artistry to the world. It wouldn't know greatness if it hit them in the head. Yet in doing this, the ragsheet ,Can't break you. They unwittingly make you. " Not 1 Morrissey lp listed must certainly be a credit to Morrissey and his anti-capitalist and anti commercial credit. Well Morrissey, you will always be the most intoxicatingly-melancholic and sincerely thoughtful singer of rock n roll, pop singles and kind to animals as well. Yes ...it's time once again to put on, "You, ragsheet, Are the Quarry." C ya Morrissey xox
He made the Top-5 in Poland!

Lists are irrelevant. Only fools need to be told what music/films/books to be interested in.
too true,you make your own list.these lists fill a page nothing more.

Taylor Swift's 1989 and Lana Del Ray's Noman f***ing Rockwell deserve their spots tho!
taylor swift,and you want to be taken seriously on here.

the fact it changes at all shows it to be complete tat

How very refreshing to find What’s Going On at number 1, instead of some dreary old Beatles album. Very deserving. Sad, though, that they felt they had to stoop to mob mentality when writing about MJ’s Thriller. “the horrific revelations about him that have surfaced in recent years.“ The ramblings of two uncorroborated witnesses isn’t the same as the truth or “revelations”. The fact that media and people are pissing all over his legacy is just sad.

The same mechanisms are to blame for the lack of Moz/Smiths albums on the list.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom