Scottish Sun: Footballer Pat Nevin regularly mistaken for Johnny Marr

Peppermint

My news feed on my phone is turning up some strange choices at the moment... Nonetheless, vaguely amusing little piece about how the now bald Mr Nevin was regularly mistaken for Johnny, and a tale involving the real Mr Marr. Judging from the pic (below) there was indeed quite a resemblance.
Note the terrific Sun-style headline, by the way - it's a belter.

Excerpt:

NEVIN KNOWS I'M MISERABLE NOW
Pat Nevin reveals music fans used to constantly mistake him for The Smiths rocker Johnny Marr

FOOTIE pundit Pat Nevin told how he used to get pestered by music fans convinced he was The Smiths rocker Johnny Marr.
The telly favourite, 56, revealed his striking resemblance to the guitar legend meant he was often mistaken for him at gigs in the 1980s.

Pat Nevin has revealed he used to get mistaken for rocker Johnny Marr. The Smiths guitarist and the Scotland star were once at the same gig
 Nevin in his younger days at Chelsea
Nevin in his younger days at ChelseaCredit: Getty Images

And ex-Scotland winger Pat admitted he added to their confusion by sporting a similar floppy hairdo and fashion sense to Marr.
Pat told the Rock’n’Goal podcast: “My friends were musos. I never had footballer style.
“The amount of people that came up to me at gigs and said: ‘You’re Johnny Marr aren’t you?’

Full piece here:

Last edited:
In his fookin dreams...

Ah so maybe this is why Pat got that invite to Beech Mount that time. Moz should've gone to Specsavers...

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/pat-nevin-on-meeting-morrissey.134299/

OT: it's kind of spooky how Moz lived/lives just a few streets away from where Pat & he wrote those very first Smiths songs ~

http://altrincham.today/2018/06/19/...fluences-behind-dramatic-new-album-jam-macca/

View attachment 58175

I KNEW I'd read a Pat Nevin/Moz connection somewhere, but thought I must have got mixed up. Thanks for reminding me, Joe! And yes, it does add a curious slant to that dinner invitation.

Last edited:
I KNEW I'd read a Pat Nevin/Moz connection somewhere, but thought I must have got mixed up. Thanks for reminding me, Joe! And yes, it does add a curious slant to that dinner invitation.
pat used to go to Ms house,looked in a room and there was a gym,he was amazed that M would have that sort of stuff in his house.
think pat nevin was the first footballer to appear on the cover of the nme.

pat used to go to Ms house,looked in a room and there was a gym,he was amazed that M would have that sort of stuff in his house.
think pat nevin was the first footballer to appear on the cover of the nme.
Yeah, I vaguely remember reading that, Gordy, it's all coming back to me now.

Back
Top Bottom