Shirley Manson (Garbage) Attacks Morrissey For Defending K.Spacey & H.Weinstein - Alternative Nation

Iconic 90’s Rock Singer Attacks Morrissey For Defending Kevin Spacey & Harvey Weinstein - Alternative Nation
By Brett Buchanan - Nov 19, 2017.

Excerpt:

"Garbage frontwoman Shirley Manson has reacted to former Smiths frontman Morrissey defending Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein following the sexual assault allegations against the two Hollywood titans.

Manson tweeted, “Morrissey has lost the f***ing plot. Weinstein + Spacey unfairly attacked? For rape, sexual abuse+coercion etc. f*** U Morrissey! f*** YOU.”"

Regards,
FWD

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit rich from Shirley, considering she and Rubbish played rock n roll to the Scottish Parliament. Money changes everything, doesn't it Shirley. The point that Morrissey was attempting to make is that since these mass allegations have gone public, he is replying in a very public kind of way. Why who knows? But he is! Maybe they are true, maybe it's simply Borderline women making up stories.
You shouldn't comment on a sensitive topic that you clearly have read little about. None of Kevin Spacey's victims were women...

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/charlie-rose-off-the-air-over-alleged-sexual-misconduct/

This is getting out of control. I find it hard to believe all of these men are doing this. Its seems like woman are using the sex thing to get back at people. Why dont they bring it up when it happens? #imwithmoz
Yes, and there are plenty of people who find it hard to believe that the Holocaust happened too. A lot of horrible shit has happened and continues to happen in the world.

But some folks thinks that is is better to pretend otherwise. It's easier that way than taking on entrenched systems of oppression. Especially if you benefit from said systems...

Yes, and there are plenty of people who find it hard to believe that the Holocaust happened too. A lot of horrible shit has happened and continues to happen in the world.

But some folks thinks that is is better to pretend otherwise. It's easier that way than taking on entrenched systems of oppression. Especially if you benefit from said systems...

My reaction when a my 70 year old boss walks around naked in front of me "put your damn pants on, i dont want to see your old saggy ass you freak". Why wait 5 years and cry about it.

I'm not sure anyone is going to say "Hey, let's go get that new album by the guy who defended Spacey and Weinstein". I suppose you could think that any press is good press, but I'm not sure that's going to prove true of a record release these days. All of this being too bad I think. He's making provocative and interesting songs in an age where "more of the same" seems to be more common. Unfortunately, as usual, he can't seem to get out of his own way.
The long and short of it is that he's burned through his remaining goodwill like a hippy burns through a bag of weed. Up in smoke. If he were invested in his career, he may want to focus on singing for a bit. He can say and do whatever he pleases, of course, but he's the only one that will deal with the fallout.

Bit rich from Shirley, considering she and Rubbish played rock n roll to the Scottish Parliament. Money changes everything, doesn't it Shirley. The point that Morrissey was attempting to make is that since these mass allegations have gone public, he is replying in a very public kind of way. Why who knows? But he is! Maybe they are true, maybe it's simply Borderline women making up stories.

What exactly are Borderline women?

He says he abhors rape.
He also says that women who complained about dealing with people like Harvey Weinstein are just mad because they didn't get the benefits to their careers they hoped for.

Those statements are not incompatible. He'd saying rape is bad but it's not rape if you're simply told that you can have sex or lose your career.

And when he talks about the boy he blames everyone except Kevin Spacey. "Where were the parents?" and "You should know what you're in for when you go into someone's bedroom."

Everyone who makes comments that 14 year olds can expect to be raped when they are alone with an adult should consider what they're writing.
And people try to say that the actor who told this story is somehow wrong for telling it. I don't see why. I imagine that he has heard many stories about Kevin Spacey. Lots of people have. And to tell your story is very therapeutic. When someone is molested they blame themselves. They wonder why they were picked. They feel guilty it happened. They feel guilty that they didn't tell. They keep it a secret.
Telling it takes a giant weight off of their shoulders.

There are a bunch of f***ed up people here that think that because you like a person's songs that they are your friend or that their opinions shouldn't be doubted. When you try to defend what he said here you're defending rape, molestation, and sexual assault.

People say "well violence wasn't involved" ot "he let the kid leave his room." So you can go grab someone off the street and try to rape them and it's okay if you let them go when they say they want to leave?

Not even getting into the part about the people that "fought so Germany could be German."

Another round of ubermensch- level trolling from dear old Moz. I hope.

He says he abhors rape.
He also says that women who complained about dealing with people like Harvey Weinstein are just mad because they didn't get the benefits to their careers they hoped for.

Those statements are not incompatible. He'd saying rape is bad but it's not rape if you're simply told that you can have sex or lose your career.

And when he talks about the boy he blames everyone except Kevin Spacey. "Where were the parents?" and "You should know what you're in for when you go into someone's bedroom."

Everyone who makes comments that 14 year olds can expect to be raped when they are alone with an adult should consider what they're writing.
And people try to say that the actor who told this story is somehow wrong for telling it. I don't see why. I imagine that he has heard many stories about Kevin Spacey. Lots of people have. And to tell your story is very therapeutic. When someone is molested they blame themselves. They wonder why they were picked. They feel guilty it happened. They feel guilty that they didn't tell. They keep it a secret.
Telling it takes a giant weight off of their shoulders.

There are a bunch of f***ed up people here that think that because you like a person's songs that they are your friend or that their opinions shouldn't be doubted. When you try to defend what he said here you're defending rape, molestation, and sexual assault.

People say "well violence wasn't involved" ot "he let the kid leave his room." So you can go grab someone off the street and try to rape them and it's okay if you let them go when they say they want to leave?

Not even getting into the part about the people that "fought so Germany could be German."

Another round of ubermensch- level trolling from dear old Moz. I hope.
What a drama queen. Modern day witch hunters. How does it feel to be the thing you have abhorred your whole life?

Borderline Personality Disease, and also men can have it

[got the T shirt and listens to the Diva M fom NY, singing 'borderline']

'Disease'? - I think you mean Borderline Personality Disorder. It's not a disease. It's often criticised as s social / cultural construct and learned behaviour with no real basis in fact...

This is not a "gotcha" situation. The interviewer didn't make Morrissey say what he said. It wasn't one comment either. Morrissey clearly sides with the accused over the accusers in these incidents. Disgusting...

Should we 'side' with either side? What about 'siding' with truth and common sense?

You shouldn't comment on a sensitive topic that you clearly have read little about. None of Kevin Spacey's victims were women...

What about Walt Whitman's 'victims'? He liked a boy or two as well by all accounts...Cos all 'children' are victims aren't they and all 'adults' are abusers?

'Disease'? - I think you mean Borderline Personality Disorder. It's not a disease. It's often criticised as s social / cultural construct and learned behaviour with no real basis in fact...

Disorder, you're right...though not what you wrote or added, it's basicly several disorders, and one can;t treat one without the others, lot's of women have been abused or social self esteem problem which they outed in self damaging [cutting ] and stop eating,...but you wrote mainly that it's not that simple as written lots.

men have mostly an addiction or a criminal list, and ofcourse the personality disorders...

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Weinstein not only pressured women to meet him alone (in his hotel room or elsewhere) under false pretenses, he destroyed the careers of the women who stood up to him and said "no."

We are not talking about him "hitting on" a woman or making "unwanted advances," we're talking about a big guy forcing himself physically on someone who was often unable to fend off his attack. If his victim threatened to tell anyone Weinstein hired lawyers and investigators who would make sure that the woman would be smeared in the press as "unstable" and "promiscuous."

Weinstein was a serial sexual predator who used his money and his power to assault and rape women. What he did was an abuse of power. Full stop.

Anyone who thinks that these women were "asking for it" is either a sociopath, a misogynist or clueless to the point that they have no idea how the real world works.

Morrissey is a troll (it's been said any number of times, and it's true). The tragedy of it is that Morrissey was so widely seen as someone giving voice to the powerless, the outcast and the victimized (especially in The Smiths). Now he's on the side of the abusers. Shirley Manson is correct: he has lost the f***ing plot.

Last edited:
Shirley Manson is a goddess and don't start saying you've never heard of her just because you want to defend Morrissey so much. As a goddess, she can say whatever she want to whomever she wants.

Also, I can't defend moz on this one, he shouldn't have said it

SPIEGEL: Since we're in Hollywood, have you followed the debates about Harvey Weinstein , Kevin Spacey and #MeToo ?

Morrissey: All at once everyone is guilty. Anyone who has ever said to someone else, "I like you," is suddenly being charged with sexual harassment. You have to put these things in the right relations. If I can not tell anyone that I like him, how should he ever know?....Of course, there are extreme cases, rape is disgusting, every physical attack is repulsive. But we have to see it in relative terms. Otherwise, every person on this planet is guilty. We can not permanently decide from above what we are allowed to do and what we can not do. Because then we are all trapped. Some people are very awkward when it comes to romance anyway. They do not know what to do and then their behavior is aggressive.

Morrissey is trivialising sexual predation that doesn't lead to violent physical rape. His disgust at violent rape is used only to try and defuse the allegations against Weinstein and Spacey. He also seems to be suggesting that his own romantic clumsiness could potentially open him up to harassment charges. If he really thinks saying (or singing!) 'I Like You' is in any way similar to the behaviour alleged against Weinstein and Spacey, he needs counselling. However, even in this warped view of things, romantic ineptitude isn't a reason to absolve someone if 'their behaviour is aggressive'.

He also appears deeply confused about the purpose of legal restrictions on sexual behaviour when he claims 'we can not permanently decide from above what we are allowed to do and what we can not do'. Society explicitly mandates this through legal restrictions on sexual behaviour. Why is Morrissey railing against the ongoing evolution of a legal code of sexual decency in society? On what basis did he then complain of sexual assault at LAX airport by a TSA security guard? If he demands a zero tolerance of sexual assault in his life whilst he travels to/from his gigs, why does he have issues with others who have complained of sexual assault by Spacey and Weinstein whilst in employment-related environments? The hypocrisy is staggering.

Shirley Manson is a goddess and don't start saying you've never heard of her just because you want to defend Morrissey so much. As a goddess, she can say whatever she want to whomever she wants.

Also, I can't defend moz on this one, he shouldn't have said it

A goddess that can’t read and ignores his very clear, strict and explicit statement only wants to read in it what she wants to read in it and is no goddess by any account.

Back
Top Bottom