"Spent The Day In Bed" - new single debuts on BBC Radio 2 / The Chris Evans Show (Sep. 19)

compare the lyrics of this song to "and you can tell I have never really loved , you can tell by the way I sleep all day " Morrissey will never again write lyrics of this beauty again .

On a similar note I used to think Kill Uncle was Morrissey's weakest work but after WPINOYB and this single I would be eternally happy to hear him write anything as good as Mute Witness or Sing Your Life right now

I'm hoping he's going to go full-on prog-tastic...I wonder which LPs were buried at the bottom of the garden?....LOL!

interesting that you mention "self-pleasure", because i think there are also quite many "self-references" in the song. i collected some with a colleague at work today, and we nailed down three so far
1) no bus, no boss, no.... : reminds me of "no hope, no harm, just another false alarm" as in "last night i dreamt that ..." which reflects the feelings of absence after waking up
2)
"You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on it's head
By staying in bed! "
3) and "be good to yourself" : "You will be good to yourself, And you'll come..." as in the lazy dykes

yeah, it's deffo got a 'be your own Sex Doll' type vibe

How nice to see that Stephen Street likes the song and the wider media reaction generally has been as positive for a Morrissey single than I can remember for years. Though the usual suspects here know better, of course...:)

How nice to see that Stephen Street likes the song and the wider media reaction generally has been as positive for a Morrissey single than I can remember for years. Though the usual suspects here know better, of course...:)

I heard a few folk humming the melody in Morrison's this evening...it's deffo a bop-tastic hit! Great 'modern' beat too!

relax Andy, just enjoy

Interesting that on the day when your cult leader issues a edict in song you can't quite find time to listen to it but have to patrol these boards for dissenting views....interesting...."relax, don't do it, when ya wanna suck it, too it!"...Where's the Morrissey Sex Doll Bundle? Does it come with lube?

We thought it was going to get off to a flying start but....Wow! .....we're off to the races with this nonsense. Absolutely gob-smackingly silly drivel....I've listened to it several times. It just gets worse. In my view, this is easily his nadir....well done, Steven! I was actually in a hotel room in Manchester this morning listening to this and looked out of the window and thought...."imagine if the Morrissey who wrote "Still Ill" was presented with these 'lyrics'? Or this song? Even if you asked Viz to parody him they'd struggle to improve on this song and the LP cover..the music sounds like he's finally discovered Air. Or Supertramp. Or Focus. Total nonsense but bodes well for an absolute car-crash of an album alongside the ludicrious song titles. It's like Xmas has come early.

BB

"as the workers stay enslaved"

(whilst Morrissey is a tax exile in Switzerland)

"in sheets for which I paid, I am now laid"

Does this relate to the lyric for "When You Open Your Legs"? Is it to do with a fear of bed-bugs in the Pestana hotel chain? Does he bring his own linen in case his 5* suite was the scene for some XXX action?

"pillows like pillars"

O...K.....

"life ends in death"

"
a typically existentialist, Eeyoreish song from the former Smiths singer...."

"no emasculation, no castration"

WTF happened in that tax office where he worked?

ps:

Yeah, don't watch the news, have a permanent Duvet Day, don't keep informed about the world because then you don't need to feel afraid about shit....erm....

40757_Morrissey-police-brutality-t-shirt.jpg

Well I guess we can now all agree on one thing !
Steve Barnett completely vindicated :thumb: as of today.

#the police are coming for you Steve

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Interesting that on the day when your cult leader issues a edict in song you can't quite find time to listen to it but have to patrol these boards for dissenting views....interesting...."relax, don't do it, when ya wanna suck it, too it!"...Where's the Morrissey Sex Doll Bundle? Does it come with lube?

Andy, just listen, enjoy

i think the Pitchfork review sums this single up pretty well . I really don't like Joe Chicarelli's production style at all and it really doesn't suit Morrissey , I thought so on the last album as well . Jerry Finn and Tony Visconti were way more suited . all those squelching noises etc are such a turn off

Pitchfork review

“Spent the Day in Bed”
There’s a good idea for a Morrissey song somewhere in “Spent the Day in Bed.” Its title, which he has somehow not used yet, leads to a few cozy, breezy quotables: “In sheets for which I paid,” he sings, “I am now laid.” But the music surrounding him is lumbering and tasteless. There’s an electronic symphony of squelching synths—the type of pseudo-futuristic sound his peers were exploring in the 1990s, while Moz was cranking up the guitars and doubling his track lengths on Southpaw Grammar. “Time, do as I wish,” he commands, before a low-end wobble that sounds like a turntable scratch enters the mix. Time, sadly, does not abide.

The song’s message about finding small comforts in your day-to-day life while you still can, however, does feel somewhat novel. Ignoring Morrissey’s tone-deaf pleas for tuning out the news, his gestures toward positivity feel like a stab at maturity from the 58-year-old artist who has historically preached hopelessness, solitude, and vegetarianism above basic self-preservation. At one point, he even gives a rare shout-out to all his friends, offering advice so that they might, one day, be as content as Morrissey has apparently become. A good way we can all start is by listening to a better Morrissey song.

But you Wild Turkey, of all creatures deserve to have a little nap in your own Wild Turkey bed, after all that Turkey Steppin'.
You must be exhausted but at the same time in a good physical condition. Have a well deserved rest and next day Turkey Steppin' like never been done before! :thumb:

Moz really got me with this one Q. Here he goes and makes a song about stayin' in bed and instead I can't stop Turkey Steppin' to the darn thing!
Believe me, he's probably over there Moz Boppin' to it his ownself.

i think the Pitchfork review sums this single up pretty well . I really don't like Joe Chicarelli's production style at all and it really doesn't suit Morrissey , I thought so on the last album as well . Jerry Finn and Tony Visconti were way more suited . all those squelching noises etc are such a turn off

Pitchfork review

“Spent the Day in Bed”
There’s a good idea for a Morrissey song somewhere in “Spent the Day in Bed.” Its title, which he has somehow not used yet, leads to a few cozy, breezy quotables: “In sheets for which I paid,” he sings, “I am now laid.” But the music surrounding him is lumbering and tasteless. There’s an electronic symphony of squelching synths—the type of pseudo-futuristic sound his peers were exploring in the 1990s, while Moz was cranking up the guitars and doubling his track lengths on Southpaw Grammar. “Time, do as I wish,” he commands, before a low-end wobble that sounds like a turntable scratch enters the mix. Time, sadly, does not abide.

The song’s message about finding small comforts in your day-to-day life while you still can, however, does feel somewhat novel. Ignoring Morrissey’s tone-deaf pleas for tuning out the news, his gestures toward positivity feel like a stab at maturity from the 58-year-old artist who has historically preached hopelessness, solitude, and vegetarianism above basic self-preservation. At one point, he even gives a rare shout-out to all his friends, offering advice so that they might, one day, be as content as Morrissey has apparently become. A good way we can all start is by listening to a better Morrissey song.

To put some context on pitchforks tastes they also gave lil peep a 7.3

Nice to hear him trying something a bit different. Could imagine it slowed down and given a reggae treatment.

I'll give it some more listens before settling on a definitive opinion, but for now I'm giving this a thumbs up. Eyebrows momentarily raised at the keyboard part, but found it actually OK after I got over the surprise. By the end of the first verse, it's the best thing Morrissey has recorded in a good while (i.e. the last 8 years). Similarities with "I Married Myself" by Sparks, although I'm not saying this is intentional. Chorus doesn't quite live up to the verse, though, and has a faint whiff of tinfoil hat about it. But it manages to tread water without sinking the song until the verse comes round again.

'Chorus doesn't quite live up to the verse'

Agree, but the contrast is what's great about it, because after the chorus when that funky verse comes back in it's great.

Back
Top Bottom