"Spent The Day In Bed" - new single debuts on BBC Radio 2 / The Chris Evans Show (Sep. 19)

Great ad placement YouTube
KFC.jpg

Yeah, just what the worlds need more of: Proud self-indulgence, and general apathy.

Give up. Drop out. That'll show 'em. No need to be informed. Folksy wisdom will suffice. You should only receive the news that makes you feel better.

He might as well have called it: "Masturbate, and then kill yourself because nothing matters."

I wasn't talking to you. Respect my opinions or ignore them. You are just another f***ing abuser. Sad person.

Your opinions are f***ing contemptible. I reserve the right to not respect them. That's how tolerance works.

I don't. Now I'm only posting this to see if I get the exact reverse ratings you did for saying you do. An experiment. In both speed of action and content.
Like we didn't know that already even before the song came out. Nothing new here.

Is this a single?

That is one of the worst songs I've heard in his catalogue.

My verification was 'had a great fall'.

Coincidence?

compare the lyrics of this song to "and you can tell I have never really loved , you can tell by the way I sleep all day " Morrissey will never again write lyrics of this beauty again .

On a similar note I used to think Kill Uncle was Morrissey's weakest work but after WPINOYB and this single I would be eternally happy to hear him write anything as good as Mute Witness or Sing Your Life right now
I think Mute Witness is great and Sing Your Life is funny. The low point is "All Over The Place" or whatever it's called. I can't listen to the last record. I like every song on Kill Uncle and if this is as good as that I'll be happy. As long as he's not bleating about Scandinavia or something I'll consider it an improvement.

Mute Witness is bizarre and hilarious. A mute woman is in the bad part of town at 4am and sees a flying saucer or something. (Her memory is fuzzy.) Since she can't speak she is pointing at a Frisbee. Who else would write a song like that? It's got a person with an affliction or handicap, a hint of scandal in a rough setting, and an otherworldly event. It's classic Morrissey. And the music is really good. I've always liked that one. You can find worse.

It's pretty poor IMHO. No melody, crass lyrics and nothing compelling. There are a few witty lines but there again there's loads of cringe worthy ones too. If I didn't know better, this song sounds like something on the dreadful Kill Uncle album. Much too lightweight to really get behind. If this is a statement song, consider it dead on arrival.

At first, I will say that I'm french. But for me the worst single that Morrissey sang in his career was "i'm throwing my arms around paris" ( and I'm so disappointed to recognize that because I waited a lot with that title) . I'm a Morrissey's fan (my first LP" Viva hate"in 1987 and after I listened the Smiths...) but this one (Paris)was f.. shit !!! Ok "spent the day in bed" is not as good as "Mute witness" (in live it was incredible...). But for all who think that it is a prediction for his worst LP, let the time say... For example, I hated "Paris" but in YOR I found gems like " You Were Good In Your Time","When Last I Spoke To Carol". The production in "spent the day" remembers me the one in "Quarry". I hope there will be some good songs like "Irish Blood,English Heart"and "I have forgiven Jesus"... if there are 2-3 very good songs, I will be happy... And I wait something new in Morrissey's direction... The only thing that I regret is his lack of ambition to play with other players. Boz made a good work in 90's but Morrissey had to renew his band for a long time. He's a fantastic singer and author but why can't he open himself with other influences. I'm really happy when I see new players introduced in band like Gustavo Manzur ... He needs new ones around him. So let see.. Viva Moz !

The lyric video hit two hundred thousand views on YouTube now. I dont know how this compares to the world peace videos though. Seems like it's getting some attention which looks like a good sign for the album

Surprised to see so much negativity here. I consider myself as a fairly critical Moz fan, but I think this is his best single for yonks. Funny, frivilous, throwaway, some good lines ("I'm not my type but I love my bed") and a fresh sound. Not the greatest thing ever, but compared to practically anything on World Peace (except Staircase) this makes for a superior single.

Great single in my opinion.

BTW; anyone heart the Norwegian artist Morten abel? The feeling of spent the day.. reminds me of some of Mortens catchy pop-tunes

It's so laughable that I thought it was some kind of joke 'teaser' and the real song was going to kick in at some point. Dear god. I can see comments regarding Kill Uncle, so I listened Mute Witness straight after this and that song, which is poor, still pisses on "Spent the Day.." from a great height. Funny, better melody, better "story"... what has happened to Moz, he used to care.

4 a.m. Northside, Clapham Common
Oh God, what she was she doing there?
will she sketch the answer later?
Well, I'll I will ask her ...

Why dont people like Kill Uncle? Great album.
New member so be kind people...
I must say I have loved Kill Uncle for a very long time. Very underrated in my opinion. Not caught up with the new single yet but if it sounds remotely like anything from WPINOYB then I will be disappointed. That record was really poor.

Just had a wee listen and my first impression is that it sounds OK. Not very inspired but not dreadful either. It may be a grower. We will see I suppose...

Musically it's lightweight but it grows on you. Lyrically it feels it bit over done. He's trying a bit too hard to be Morrissey. But I like it. No budget for a proper video?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom