"Spent The Day In Bed" - new single debuts on BBC Radio 2 / The Chris Evans Show (Sep. 19)

I really love the song. I was surprised at the negative reviews here but then realized there all written by the same two OCD-stricken people.
KEXP has playing playing it a lot. We've got a hit boys!!
Yeah it's the same old blather from the usual Mozzaphobes. It's a great f***ing tune!

Osho_face.jpg

A long time ago this woman I knew played a cassette for me, a lecture by Bhagwan Rajneesh. He was a guru who made it big before the IRS spoiled the fun. On the tape he was advising his followers not to read the newspaper because the news is the same every day, and that you could read any newspaper from any day and get the same effect. He was very popular and had many devoted followers all over the world. When they finally shut him down he had a collection of dozens of Rolls Royces.
Moral of the story: Morrissey is an amateur.

I'd give it another half a star or more. I think it's a solid single, and a total ear worm that could do well on radio if it gets played. The reviews are generally strong. What I don't get is people who are tired of the "chug-rock" who are so offended that he tried something different. It sounds fresh, and surprising. Obvious comparisons to "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" because of the piano, and also a feeling as though "Oh Phoney" finally got reworked into a decent single. Though I will note that the chorus seems largely a rehash of the "Life is nothing left to lose" line from "Mama."

I think people forget how playful Moz can be... is there a huge difference between this and "Girlfriend in a Coma"? We could argue about that endlessly, but at the end of the day (in my opinion) the song ends too soon, and I want to hear it again, just like "Girlfriend...".

And, FWIW, I never liked "Istanbul." It sounded to me too much like "Jack the Ripper" run through a blender. But I know others really liked it. To each their own. But anyone calling this a travesty or a masterpiece are probably each equally guilty of hyperbole. It's a solid pop song, well-crafted. Like it or don't.

Good points. It's grown on me for sure and I think it's an OK song - maybe just not the strongest first single from a fan's perspective - but maybe the most radio friendly?

Average, at best.

I thought he could have made something more of the song lyrically about 'spending the day in bed' but then he strangely, and somewhat artificially blasts into 'don't watch the news...blah, blah, blah, blah.'.....not very courageous for our Mr. Moz. Yes Morrissey, the news is BADDDDDD. The news is FFFAAAAAKE. Everyone's been talking about it for a year now. That part lacked any imagination, or bravery whatsoever.

Should have stuck with the theme of 'no bus, no boss'; because that will hit a lot of people in the heart. That will say something to them about their life. Because 99 % of us do have a boss we don't like, 99 % of us do hate taking the bus. And 99 % of us would much rather lie in bed. And stick with 'time do as I wish'....those things mean more to us lyrically and enter us emotionally than 'don't watch the news'.

Morrissey, you have already admonished us about the news and it fell on an album called Swords. Move on. You were half way there with this song. But you couldn't resist to voice your argggggg anger at the world.

Use your new twitter account for that platform. Hit us emotionally with a hard right, again musically. That's what we want. That's what we crave.

Overall, thank you for the song. And while I wish I could lie in bed all day, there is a part of me that is proud of my work filled day.

That I despise.

Spent The Day In Bed is a nice little ditty. Clean sounding too. Stands out for its chirpiness which is rare for Morrissey in this era (could easily be on Bona Drag). And I can see why it is getting praise from the reviewers and people online who are presumably not Morrissey fanatics who keep tabs on his output.

It is a weak choice for a lead single, sure, but we need to appreciate the bigger picture. The track is creating way more of a buzz than anything off World Peace Is None Of Your Business. (Lead single World Peace... went down like a bucket of cold sick not only with fanbase but the casual listeners Morrissey needs to win over - you have one chance in this world to keep attentions and if you blow it you blow it!) BMG look to be doing a good job so far. So a thumbs up on that front. Let's wait and see for any promotional videos. With Morrissey's mug nowhere to be found on the album artwork, which I personally don't like, it's clear attempts are being made to reach out to a new, maybe younger audience. But I don't mind the crude sleeve providing Low In High School is a solid body of work, which it certainly could be. Let's be positive folks.

Last edited:
After several listenings it could qualify as the worst song ever recorded. However, and lucky for us and moz, I dont think the thing qualifies as a 'song'. Its just downright awful.

I don't. Now I'm only posting this to see if I get the exact reverse ratings you did for saying you do. An experiment. In both speed of action and content.

For a grown man, you behave like such a f@@king child. Is this the going to be the pattern over the LiHS campaign? A product or promo event is announced, you denounce it instantly and counter anyone who disagrees.

For the first time since YATQ Moz has a label prepared to give him a push and to make the music available in a way that appeals to traditional physical format lovers and modern music consumers alike. They've also identified the a very good track to lead into the album.

Honestly, you're acting like a bitter old football fan sitting cross-armed in the away end when the home team has scored.

SOSB

For a grown man, you behave like such a f@@king child. Is this the going to be the pattern over the LiHS campaign? A product or promo event is announced, you denounce it instantly and counter anyone who disagrees.

For the first time since YATQ Moz has a label prepared to give him a push and to make the music available in a way that appeals to traditional physical format lovers and modern music consumers alike. They've also identified the a very good track to lead into the album.

Honestly, you're acting like a bitter old football fan sitting cross-armed in the away end when the home team has scored.

SOSB

Nothing you, or anyone else says, will change what I say, post or feel. I'm going to keep on posting what I like, and there's nothing you can do about it.

As for your feeling on the song - that's up to you. You like it. Great. I don't. You cannot tell people what or what not to like.

I will rail against blind unthinking knackers, and you or anyone else won't stop me.

And finally - why do YOU care? Do you honestly think my postings on this site are going to change anything? You think I'm a threat to the whole campaign? Me? Don't be daft. Why should anyone take notice of what I post on this site? They won't. So why do you care if they do or don't?

Last edited:
The song blows chunks FFS its a fricking :pill:. Get real.
Its a total :bomb: with the funny :musickeyboard: intro. Looking for a melody:leftmagnify: dont bother you wont find it.
Is that :japaneseogre: singing "Patron" when Moz sings "Boss". How clever.:eyes: Embarrasing all the way around.

:hourglass:is running as to how long before BMG gets the:scissors:.:speaknoevil:

A few have and I don't really understand why. I barely notice it
It's merely a way to ensure that he keeps on selling out his most profitable shows in SoCal/Los Angeles. If you don't think it's calculated...

Average, at best.

I thought he could have made something more of the song lyrically about 'spending the day in bed' but then he strangely, and somewhat artificially blasts into 'don't watch the news...blah, blah, blah, blah.'.....not very courageous for our Mr. Moz. Yes Morrissey, the news is BADDDDDD. The news is FFFAAAAAKE. Everyone's been talking about it for a year now. That part lacked any imagination, or bravery whatsoever.

Should have stuck with the theme of 'no bus, no boss'; because that will hit a lot of people in the heart. That will say something to them about their life. Because 99 % of us do have a boss we don't like, 99 % of us do hate taking the bus. And 99 % of us would much rather lie in bed. And stick with 'time do as I wish'....those things mean more to us lyrically and enter us emotionally than 'don't watch the news'.

Morrissey, you have already admonished us about the news and it fell on an album called Swords. Move on. You were half way there with this song. But you couldn't resist to voice your argggggg anger at the world.

Use your new twitter account for that platform. Hit us emotionally with a hard right, again musically. That's what we want. That's what we crave.

Overall, thank you for the song. And while I wish I could lie in bed all day, there is a part of me that is proud of my work filled day.

That I despise.

" Yes Morrissey, the news is BADDDDDD. The news is FFFAAAAAKE. Everyone's been talking about it for a year now. That part lacked any imagination, or bravery whatsoever. "

Yes, but nobody sang about it, as far as I know, and at least not in the way Moz did.
So I tend to slightly disagree with you about this minor point.
I like the song very much.
Regards :thumb:

He doesn't say the news is fake just that it's designed to frighten and shock you which is in part true. I'm a huge fan of reading the news. Online I read two music forums and nothing else but news and it's true that the more shocking and frightening the news is presented as the more people will watch it. News outlets know this and shape there content accordingly. Especially now in a twenty four hour news cycle this can burn people out as they seem addicted to watching it twenty four hours a day and it does have an effect. While I don't agree with morrissey about the news I can't say that there isn't at least some truth in what he's saying either

The only news I read is the Sunday Sport. It's madness to trust any other journalists.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom