The day Morrissey came to tea: an extract from Dave Haslam’s memoir

The day Morrissey came to tea: an extract from Dave Haslam’s memoir - The Observer
In book Sonic Youth Slept on My Floor, the DJ recalls how the Smiths changed British music, and his charming days spent with Morrissey – on photo shoots, at the Haçienda, and over cauliflower cheese

43092_dave_haslam.jpg

Also, interview with Miranda Sawyer in which the changes in Morrissey are mused upon - Morrissey is now "...uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted..."

Dave Haslam: ‘That music changed lives. It made Manchester what it is’ - The Observer

Excerpt:

What about Morrissey now? How do you feel about him?
In the context of music, the Smiths were so valuable, they made such an impact… But I have no explanations for why Morrissey ended up saying the stuff he does. It is almost as though he’s another person. Everything he was – informed, charming, gentle – he is the opposite now – uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted. It’s a strange one, especially because he says he hasn’t changed. From my perspective, he has.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the nice things about Twitter is you can do searches on various media characters' feeds and see what they're really about. This moron was attacking Julian Assange and WikiLeaks with RussiaGate propaganda hysteria over Putin. He's a #FakeNews victim. You'll never see Morrissey attacking Julian Assange, a political prisoner suffering for years in an embassy in London, where he cannot even see a doctor, and now is denied internet and visitors, just because the powers-that-be despise him for giving the people of the world a glimpse at the TRUTH of what the corrupt scum is up to.
The UK should be ashamed that they are allowing Julian Assange to suffer as a political prisoner while his mother cries out on social media for his freedom. f*** you, Dave Haslam. You sickly looking old goofball.

Last edited:
You can agree with Morrissey or not agree at all, but he is not uninformed. Maybe he's not a disciplined or trained thinker, but he never was and -hopefully- he will never be.

Above all, Morrissey is one of the most charming men on earth.

Bear in mind, the folks calling Morrissey "uninformed" are the ones who still haven't figured out that Islam is not a race. Morrissey is being attacked by ignoramuses.

f*** you, Dave Haslam. You sickly looking old goofball.

Dave Haslam isn't actually responsible for that excerpt btw; it's a quote from a Miranda Sawyer interview. It's poor "moderation", of course. Presumably they just want to highlight a negative quote for some reason...

Progress report: Picked up groceries tonight. Went to two stores before I found Tillamook. They had an special reserve extra sharp so I’m thinking that will do the trick. Got cream instead of milk cause I’m going all out. Am roasting a head of garlic right now. May have to do a little quality control tonight with it smeared on some crusty bread. I’m ready for Operation Cauliflower Cheese to commence tomorrow evening.

I quit cheese for Benny and Brummie Boy but Tillamook is excellent. I liked Kerrygold better, though. The very best is raw milk cheese but I never see it anywhere. I think they've made it illegal in the US. They used to have it at health food stores.

Bear in mind, the folks calling Morrissey "uninformed" are the ones who still haven't figured out that Islam is not a race. Morrissey is being attacked by ignoramuses.

Is Haslam a race ? (did you see what i did there ?)

Hmm. Well, I would but since a great deal of what I eat involves meat, I'm not sure how well it would go down here!
Perhaps a separate thread for carnivores? On the far side of the site? And some kind of nice aromatherapy to kill the scent of roasting flesh? I’m sure we could figure something out to accommodate members like you.

Perhaps a separate thread for carnivores? On the far side of the site? And some kind of nice aromatherapy to kill the scent of roasting flesh? I’m sure we could figure something out to accommodate members like you.
Wow. Meat-shaming. I think I need to start a Twitter campaign #meattoo

I know you don’t know me so you don’t know all the things I do to benefit animal welfare. I’m a good guy who makes the right choices, generally. I’ve been veg for 30 years and never vary. I’m really strict once I make a change. I’m not ready to go Vegan as I’ll not only have to tackle the food aspects but things like wool (and I’m a knitter with a huge yarn stash) and leather shoes I already own, etc. I am likely to let all of that go. I have vegans in my family and I may very well get there. Just not today.

by no means was I attacking you.I never said that you or anyone is bad or imperfect for the choices that they continue to make. Just saw the way the thread was going and wanted to balance it out with some alternative information, things most people don't think about or want to. Yes it takes time, for there is a difference between knowing something and truly feeling something that will force one to make those changes that will benefit ourselves, our friends, loved ones and of course this planet.

peace

:)

another person who expects Morrissey to be stuck in freeze frame for thirty years and is outraged that he isn't the same person.its like meeting an ex who says sarcastically says youv changed.

Not as dull as your journey. Think about it when you are in your local hospice. Lol. He grew, you got stunted. Btw, thought you got sacked :lbf:
It doesn't seem like Morrissey has truly enjoyed his journey.

He certainly hasn't taken advantage of many aspects of it. He seems to live the life of a wealthy pensioner who likes feeding the ducks to pass time until the cruise ship comes by pick him up.

That's the thing about life, it doesn't matter what you did when you were young. You will lose your powers, and relevance at a certain point, and you end up in the same place as everyone else. Your legacy is never as important, or sustainable as you imagined, and Morrissey has crippled much of his.

Let's make one thing clear, Morrissey only has the idea of his legacy to show for his life. He doesn't have kids to carry his name. He doesn't have many friends. His mother will pass soon, and Sam will eventually find love, or come out of the closet, and become a Buddhist. He can't enjoy food. He has no apparent hobbies. He only likes music from when he was fifteen, so modern culture is of no interest, and he's pretty much gone on record as being a proud philistine.

Ultimately, people shouldn't worry about legacies. They should be worried about living. A legacy is useless when you're dead.

He's been married for nearly a decade now so you can get that one off your list.

Yes, that's true.

But also - it's VERY funny - that it has taken one, educated, Anonymous, poster, above, to remove the 'Anonymous Fool.' Bravo.

Hazard
x

by no means was I attacking you.I never said that you or anyone is bad or imperfect for the choices that they continue to make. Just saw the way the thread was going and wanted to balance it out with some alternative information, things most people don't think about or want to. Yes it takes time, for there is a difference between knowing something and truly feeling something that will force one to make those changes that will benefit ourselves, our friends, loved ones and of course this planet.

peace

:)
I’m glad you wrote this. Probably caught me at an off moment. We probably have a lot more in common on these issues than not. Bygones.

Checking Cauliflower Cheese off my culinary bucket list. I successfully made a pretty awesome version last night. Added the roasted garlic which gives it a nice edge. Also substituted cream for the milk because why not?! Also tested how much Tillamook one can force into a Bechamel sauce. Turns out quite a lot! Made for a ridiculously rich Cauliflower Cheese! Thanks for all your help, all! I think you’ll be proud of this one. Even Moz would want some. And Rifke, your’s has been dropped off at the airport for its rush to you! Bon appetit!

Checking Cauliflower Cheese off my culinary bucket list. I successfully made a pretty awesome version last night. Added the roasted garlic which gives it a nice edge. Also substituted cream for the milk because why not?! Also tested how much Tillamook one can force into a Bechamel sauce. Turns out quite a lot! Made for a ridiculously rich Cauliflower Cheese! Thanks for all your help, all! I think you’ll be proud of this one. Even Moz would want some. And Rifke, your’s has been dropped off at the airport for its rush to you! Bon appetit!
Bravo TAT, sounds like a triumph!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom