The greatest frontman

MOODYBLUE

BITTER,TWISTED,AND PROUD
With too much time on my hands,due to the festive break,i had a little think about what makes a great "frontman" in a band.
Obviously,you expect him/her to have charisma by the bucket load,but the ability to make the audience feel that they are witnessing something special,i feel is paramount.
The frontman is always the focal point,and is the catalyst for the whole performance.
I feel that the "great frontmen" who are usually mentioned {liam gallagher,michael hutchance,and even jim morrison},although having amazing stage presence ,do not have that unique "something" that morrissey has.
For 3 decades,he has mesmorised audiences throughout the world,and i cannot think of a singl performer who has meant so much,to so many people for such a long time !!!!!
The number one since 1984,except no imitations !!!!!
Mr morrissey,once again,i salute you !!!!
Best wishes to each and everyone !!!!!
Keith.
X!

Re: The greatest frontman ???????

morrison for sure fits the bill as he for sure had it. he had people listening to him on the street before he did any music. lydon was also really really good at being a frontman as was kurt cobain

I was watching PIL's performance at Rockpalast and it occurred toe that while Lydon had zero stage presence, he still commanded the stage. If that makes sense.

What was different about Moz is that he was awkward- the glasses, weird dancing, etc. Before him an ideal frontman was overtly sexy, with swagger.

I was watching PIL's performance at Rockpalast and it occurred toe that while Lydon had zero stage presence, he still commanded the stage. If that makes sense.

What was different about Moz is that he was awkward- the glasses, weird dancing, etc. Before him an ideal frontman was overtly sexy, with swagger.

it does though id say in the pistols he had great presence. he did the whole squatting thing with the mic in his left hand and his right arm at an angle back and up

With all these men being mentioned,i must apologise for missing a lady who,although being small in stature,would enchant a concert hall,and transport you to another world !!!!..........liz frazer,from the cocteau twins.
Best wishes to all !!!
Keith.
X!

im gonna add manson to the list. his performances during anti christ were spectacular and the level of hate he inspired with all of the fake testimonies and protests were a sight to see. still remember him at the pulpit tearing out pages of the bible and throwing them at us while singing.

H.R. from Bad Brains
Milo from Descendents (the anti-frontman as they say in Filmage)
Henry Rollins
Bono (sorry, but it's true)

I'm thinking of a frontman as someone who just SINGS on stage, in my eyes.

edit: in addition to Moz of course, who is my favorite.

Last edited:
man cant believe i didnt put milo in there. if so im gonna have to offer up chad as well. he threw a neat spin to it. the kinda country everyman attitude he brings to all was really interesting. i was also thinking of you when i though of ian since he was so copied everywhere. youre also correct about rollins

Morrissey, Ian Curtis, Jim Morrison, Dave Gahan, Freddie Mercury, Bono

----

underrated: Michael Stipe, Robert Smith

That's a great version of that tune.....

I know people hate him but Bono is up there. Generally to be a lead singer, you need to have the balls to think you are the best in the world....and I think he has that.
Also, Michael Hutchence, David Lee Roth and how about Deborah Harry?

With all these men being mentioned,i must apologise for missing a lady who,although being small in stature,would enchant a concert hall,and transport you to another world !!!!..........liz frazer,from the cocteau twins.
Best wishes to all !!!
Keith.
X!

:love: :love:

frontman?? :rofl:

she's a siren :love:

Ian Curtis was the anti-frontman frontman. But you can't help but get carried away at how involved he was in the music when he performed.

I know people hate him but Bono is up there. Generally to be a lead singer, you need to have the balls to think you are the best in the world....and I think he has that.
Also, Michael Hutchence, David Lee Roth and how about Deborah Harry?

I am an avowed Bono-hater, but I'll give you that. I agree on DLR and Debbie Harry, too. I don't know enough about Hutchence onstage to say.

Siouxsie, of course, is also phenomenal frontperson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The greatest frontman ???????

Fred from the B-52s has a certain air about him.

im gonna add brett anderson also as for a while there he was awesome on stage. still is really

Back
Top Bottom