The new Photography thread

after my home-office session i went to the garden today. lots of people around at the river, mostly mums and dads suddenly having time for their kids during the week, all looking pleased in a way, enjoying a fine day. probably, when we get back to the tedious normal, if, they will all remember these corona spring weeks as the best time in their life, maybe even decades later, and wonder, why life couldnt simply be continued like this.
DSC_0336.JPG

lotsa birds around...
DSC_0340.JPG

yellow bunting hiding behind a purple deadnettle...
DSC_0339.JPG

a starling on the cherry tree...
DSC_0333.JPG

two goldfinches...
DSC_0313.JPG

a beautiful hybrid mallard, with its shiny black feathers and whitish breast looking a bit like my lil t.
DSC_0119.JPG

a grey goose shortly after take-off
DSC_0147.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
after my home-office session i went to the garden today. lots of people around at the river, mostly mums and dads suddenly having time for their kids during the week, all looking pleased in a way, enjoying a fine day. probably, when we get back to the tedious normal, if, they will all remember these corona spring weeks as the best time in their life, maybe even decades later, and wonder, why life couldnt simply be continued like this.
View attachment 55190
lotsa birds around...
View attachment 55191
View attachment 55192
a star on the cherry tree...
View attachment 55193
two goldfinches...
View attachment 55194
a beautiful hybrid mallard, with its shiny black feathers and whitish breast looking a bit like my lil t.
View attachment 55195
View attachment 55196
Wow, beautiful pics! Nice birds ya got there!

View attachment 55190
lotsa birds around...
View attachment 55191
View attachment 55192
a star on the cherry tree...
View attachment 55193
two goldfinches...
View attachment 55194
View attachment 55195
View attachment 55196

Birds is the word!

you know, sweetie, it's gonna be another 3 days of arctic temperatures way below zero degrees celcius. don't you think you could, just for a change, find another place to warm up and spend the day?
20200324_170944~2_copy_640x1076.jpg

noh, coz it's my lap.
20200324_171532~2_copy_640x1280.jpg

oh my, oh my. these cats...it's hopeless.

as i reported in another thread, the thinking one, i think, it is a spoilt day bc of this disorganized and lackadaisical handyman i met in the garden this morning at 8 am. had to get up at 5:30 am for that. result: zero.
i am so tired that all i can do is sit around and wait for better times.

as it was arse-cold, i had to get up and move around. first thing was a new bee hotel that i squeezed inbetween the wisteria's curved boughs and added a very charming rain shelter on top of it that i had found behind the tool shed ... hope you like it.
DSC_0409.JPG

magical. lookin forward to the first bee guests.

then, all of a sudden, a nuthatch,
DSC_0418.JPG

the texture of the feathers around his or her belly is simply enchanting...

and finally: the amazing hairy-footed flower bee, always a pleasure to look at in these dull days of early spring,

DSC_0406.JPG

its face was emitting infrared light, a phenomenon nowhere else to be seen but here in the garden.

hey folks, where are your photos?

Being a Bird -
DSC_0438 (2).JPG

in this case, a northern shrike!

Being a bluetit -
DSC_0467 (2).JPG

DSC_0457 (2).JPG

DSC_0447 (2).JPG

DSC_0466 (2).JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

and once more...

DSC_0474.JPG

"blow-dry, please!"

DSC_0458 (2).JPG

"Thank you!"

the tulips at the bird spa are blooming ...

DSC_0482.JPG

my quince tree is sprouting. there were no quinces in the past three years, mostly because of the heat waves and some late frost that had destroyed the blossoms, but with the help of the buddha quincey might be able to leave behind the past and gather new strength...
DSC_0484.JPG

Rain is the medium to the sound part of my mind which is unclouded rainality.
20200430_112940~2_copy_1280x640.jpg

Yesterday we had a few drops only, but today there was a real heavy rainfall, the first since march 11.
20200430_113110_copy_512x1024~2.jpg

While i was dancing through the depeopled garden premises thanking the gods of forgiveness and rejuvenation, the rain barrels filled up fast all according to plan... Thick layers of gluey pollen were washed away from vegetation, roofs and human faces.
20200430_112953~2_copy_640x1049.jpg

I am healed now and so is mother nature, at least here in this tiny spot of the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
My new tele lens arrived today. Couldnt resist. It's big. I dont give a shit what freud wouldve thought. He only knew his own lil dick.

20200430_151224~2_copy_908x512.png

Here it is, the lens, in comparison to a full grown oversized and tentatively walking cat...
20200430_151255~2_copy_891x594.png

I've been liftin weights for a couple of days to be able to hold this thing steadily for awhile without using a tripod. Gonna get up early tomorrow morning to test it on the birds near the river.

the tulips at the bird spa are blooming ...

View attachment 55719

my quince tree is sprouting. there were no quinces in the past three years, mostly because of the heat waves and some late frost that had destroyed the blossoms, but with the help of the buddha quincey might be able to leave behind the past and gather new strength...
View attachment 55720
I have been talking to the family about getting bird feeder and bird bath in the backyard. To, you know, sit and watch them just like this. Thanks for the pics.

I have been talking to the family about getting bird feeder and bird bath in the backyard. To, you know, sit and watch them just like this. Thanks for the pics.
it's amazing how quickly these birds seize the bath once it is set up. sometimes you just turn your back and then you can already hear it splashing behind you. usually, we underestimate the importance of water for birds (same for insects) but especially those birds that have settled down in human residential areas, depend on it throughout the year.
downside is that they have to be cleaned regularly, so that diseases cannot spread.
here is one picture with a blackbird which i took two or three weeks ago:
DSC_0640.JPG

i am very happy with my new tele lens...
this picture has only been cropped a lil, no changes to the colours, etc.
it was cloudy this morning and i am surprised that the details of the grass and the feathers are all noticeable and only very slightly blurred.
this was zoomed out too 600mm, all pretty sharp despite the reduced light conditions.
DSC_0795.JPG

good lens :)

a bullfinch...
DSC_0835.JPG

and a slightly irritated black bird who is eying me sternly coz i interrupted his matutinal mating call.
DSC_0834.JPG

Back
Top Bottom