"The Queen Is Dead" #7 Best Album of the 80's in Rolling Stone Reader's poll

for the Rolling Stone mag, USA musicmag, i much say nmbr 7 is not that bad

but why like most of the fans this album, the band menbers Strangeways here we come

My holy Grail is ' Meat is Murder'

the link to Rolling Stone was a joy, as TQID is one of 3 best on that album

:guitar:

[can't imagine anyone has tickets for the upcoming gigs who would like to se and hear it live]

Last edited:
Balls to Rolling Stone. It's been out of touch since at LEAST the 80's.
That being said, I'm still amazed The Smiths placed at all.

Absolutely shocked that it placed in the Top 50! There might be hope for America yet.

Re: Article: "The Queen Is Dead" #7 Best Album of the 80's in Rolling Stone Reader's

I am glad The Smiths beat out The Cure...

best Cure album is 17 seconds end 70's, the rest is of them is somehow
the same as the fist album, just like DM though I find guitarband likable than synthwave, and Martin Gore plays good guitar, but with soundsamples, same
as Marr did in Electronic
but the Cure had always that melcncholy yanling guitarsound with Robert S.
voice echood alot, and betwee there you have a rythm team bass drumms and guitar
who plays the normal guitarriffs/work

that's why 17 sec is a classic, the rest basicly [16 albums and 4 live and 3 best of,
dunno just kidding, but the overall sound hasn't changed sice they played the first gig
in Holland live, the material is better, they growed a bit, but they are far more
a design/cult band]

well I guess people who like the Cure has a lot of ammunition on Morrissey, and
The Smiths, so my apolgies to all who like them, music is personal, my opinion is
freedom of speech without rascism and meaning to put a band down or people who're
as as long a fan from The Cure and still are

it's
personal taste, and Morrissey lyrics are well...one of the best since , well better than DM
and the Cure, and that's a fact

Last edited:
The only Smiths album I play consistantly is 'Strangeways'......

Rolling Stone is a joke. 20 years ago Van Morrisson probably would have claimed the same spot. Idiots.

since it's an American top 10, i think they've done pretty well to sift through the usual trash to find their rightful place at the top. but where were the other albums?:squiffy:

Thank God for the Anarchists!

I knew months ago about ides of march I just hope it marches until this government of millionaires realise what happens in libya can happen here. They are in one way more disgusting than any gadaffi they seem to think needs deposing of

irene

fortnum and mason 100 quid for a xmas puddin and they wonder why they put the shop window in?

oh and morrisseys posh barbers

f*** off get over yourself

I am happy for the Smiths getting a good mention, but I had the displeasure of looking at the rest of the list. "Born in the USA" and "Appetite for Destruction"? Really? I am sorry but this list is bollocks and the nod to the Smiths is LATE. And compared to other artists on the list they're an anomaly. Rolling Stone struggles to remain relevant.

Last edited:
Re: Article: "The Queen Is Dead" #7 Best Album of the 80's in Rolling Stone Reader's

fortnum and mason 100 quid for a xmas puddin and they wonder why they put the shop window in?

oh and morrisseys posh barbers

f*** off get over yourself

care to elaborate?

or need some goodies

lithium,vidocin,xanax....snickers barrs at the corner [filled with special powder]

I have to agree with celibate.” Meat is Murder” has to be their best compilation. It has a serious tone with a fierce desperation that flows incredibly well from beginning to end. And of course, listening to the rain fall on ‘Well I Wonder’ at max volume is a euphoric pleasure of perfection.
But yeah, when speaking of “The Queen is Dead”, I’m sure we can all agree it has timeless tracks, but as an album there isn’t as much solidarity as you would find in “Meat is Murder”.
Anyhow, I always enjoy seeing the Smiths in the media. It makes me feel as though after all these years; maybe I do have good taste in music. Ha-ha. Plus being American I really never expect to see news on the Smiths ever. Not too many people here in the states know who the Smiths are. So it’s nice having the support of the media to help confirm to my friends how great the Smiths really are ha-ha.
Interestingly enough though, I do think The Smiths and Mozz are starting to pick up some momentum here in the states. It probably has a lot to do with “500 Days of Summer”, but I don’t mind. I’ve been enjoying the increase amount of complements my Smiths shirts have raked in since the movie’s release ha-ha, and in any way possible, if it gets a pretty girl interested in me so be it. I always enjoy sharing how I got to hug Mozz.
-Roy

PS: I do agree that the list in general is crap. The Smiths, The Clash and Prince should have been within the top 5, while others should have never been mentioned. Rolling Stone has lost its senses.

PS: I do agree that the list in general is crap. The Smiths, The Clash and Prince should have been within the top 5, while others should have never been mentioned. Rolling Stone has lost its senses.

Oops I somehow faild to see that it was a poll from the readers. Which WOW...makes me quite impressed to see the Smiths at #7. Good for Mozz! It must make him happy. I hope he visits us soon.

I've never quite seen STRANGEWAYS' appeal, to be honest. It has a couple of good songs, but it always seems hasty and incomplete to me.

Mind you, I'm a Go-Betweens fan too, and 16 LOVERS LANE has never been my fave either, and it seems to be a majority item of worship in THAT camp too. :)

I will say this, though...
I would have liked an REM album on there, perhaps Life's Rich Pageant or Green; those are great albums. Also, I took a dig at Madonna earlier and I will admit that the album with Borderline, Open Your Heart, etc; and/or Like A Prayer are good listens and are iconic examples of the 80's sound and a significant genre from that era, so one of those should have been included, particularly given the lack of female representation on that list.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom