"The Smiths" (1982 Decibel Studio Demos) and more

dallow_bg

the one he left behind
If you haven't been paying attention to the marketplace forum, now is the time to do it.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=63008

Most interesting is this:

And before closing this long post I should mention and private deal about 2 UNPARALLELED Smiths rarities we may auction in the near future.- It's up to the owner who has till to take a decision. I'm talking about the unreleased reel to reel 16 track master tape of the Decibel Studio demos from 1982 and the original cassette tape on which Morrissey and Marr recorded 'I Want a Boy For My Birthday' in 1982 in Marr's bedroom. The original one, not a copy of the 30 sec. clip.
I will not tell the full story behind these two beatiful rarities, I think the owner would not like if I disclosed too much info. This master tape was recorded in 1982 when "The Smiths" as such didn't exist at that time. Johnny Marr met Morrissey in 1982 and they started to create some music. At this stage they recorded 'I Want a Boy For My Birthday' in Johnny's bedroom on a simple 2 or 4 track recorder. Just Morrissey on vocal and Marr on guitar.
Then they began to write some songs of their own. E.g. Suffer Little
Children and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. Johnny Marr knew a lot of
people in the 'music scene' in Manchester. He arranged with Dale Hibbert to record these songs in the Decibel Studios in Manchester.
Dale Hibbert was a studio engineer there and he was also a bass player. Dale
managed to use the studio for free after midnight. So they engaged a certain
Simon Wolstencroft to play drums; Dale Hibbert would play bass, Johnny Marr
guitar and Morrissey voice. So they recorded these songs on a one inch 16
track Ampex tape. At that time "The Smiths" didn't yet exist, there was no
contract with a record company or anything. The recorded songs were later
(1984) released (of course different versions) on the first album of The
Smiths on Rough Trade. The owner is afraid of possible legal issues if he sold an original master tape, an unreleased master tape, which was acquired legally but remember we are speaking of the Smiths and an unreleased Master Tape. The owner of the licensing rights to the entire Smiths catalogue may believe to be the owner of that master tape, if not the medium itself, the contects at least.

Something like this, if real, should really be given to a record company for official release.
Discuss!

You're right jeane about the 'legal rights' and so forth.

However, I'm still fantasizing about the thought of hearing these tapes.
These extremely early recordings..... they must be fantastic.

The person who has these recordings disclosed this information to me four years ago, so I believe this message to be true.

1983 Drones Studio Demo

If you speak to a certain person, if you know your stuff and, in football speak, history, if you can prove you were there, chasing the entourage with an unsigned Melody Maker cover, and most importantly, if you know what James Browns "The One" means, then maybe, just maybe, you too can hear this fresh and clean demo on a certain ex-Smiths Ipod!

Maybe I said too much?

Reggie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom