The Smiths' debut album - 35th anniversary of release mentioned by CoS, Warner Bros. Germany

Classic Album of the Week: The Smiths’ Debut Remains an Album to Fall in Love with All Over Again - Consequence of Sound

By Libby Cudmore
Not even Morrissey's latter-day sins can taint the pure love listeners feel for this record

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/classic-album-review-the-smiths-debut/

46321_the-smiths-1984-album-of-the-week-1.png

See also:

Warner Bros Germany praising The Smiths debut album. Calling it a reference work - thread posted by the.legend

Ein Album, das zum Referenzwerk wurde: "The Smiths" feiert 35. Geburtstag - Warner Music Germany

Last edited by a moderator:
What sins? It’s Morrissey’s so called ‘sins’ that made that record great in the first place!

These folks know nothing.

:cool:

I ye reckon this is the second most hated Smiths album by The California Son. Ye reckon The California Son said The Queen is Dead was a "complete waste of time" in n nnn n dint inn it. LOL! :laughing:

The album is a corker, but the young love aspect cannot be ignored. It was even pointed out by Simon Goddard.
This Charming Man, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Reel Around The Fountain - as Will Self may have said - it's absolutely manifest. The lyrics tell the story.

"I’ve never met a Smiths fan who didn’t start expressing their fandom without first apologizing for Morrissey."
Well then meet The Wild Turkey there Libby.

it’s such a shame that everytime the smiths is brought up as is morrissey and everytime morrissey is brought up as is the smiths, likewise with johnny. journalists absolutely kill themselves before anyone else has the chance to.

It's time the tale was told. I remember listening to that song slipping and sliding over my stereo and thinking I'd never heard anything like or before. It enthralled me. It set a precedence of what was to come. And the songs kept coming at such a high standard. Every single, it was better than the last. The boy with the thorn came along and the needle loved every chord change. Marr said he'd written one of the most beautiful songs he was so proud of it. He was right to think so.

I've never known anything like that first raft of singles. I was treated to so much artistic skill. We didnt deserve it, but we were waiting for it. It was a wonderful thing to experience. It turned the schoolroom into something artistic. It made the school bully lament on how soon is now. He sang the lyrics. I loved him for it. We were experiencing something new. He said to me why have the Smiths released all those songs on the first album and then done them again on hateful of hollow?, I used to bring the album to school with me and they'd share it around and have a laugh about it. He'd make out he wasnt that interested but he was not your average school bully. He had something about him and he knew quality when he saw it.

Another thing that was unusual at the time was how Morrissey repeated lines that he liked. He got that from listening to Patti Smith. I always remember it as somhing quite novel as though he liked what he was saying so much, that he thought it might be worth saying again!

I love all the albums apart from this one tbh. don't even have it downloaded. the singles are ok though.

I love all the albums apart from this one tbh. don't even have it downloaded. the singles are ok though.

This album captures the entire essence of what the Smiths are. Raw, moody, atmospheric, haunting yet melancholy, jangle pop.
I’m sure some fans just go along with Morrissey, he said it’s shit, so it must be shit. Those same fans think Strangeways is a masterpiece, cos he said so.
The Debut LP is the Smiths true masterpiece imo.

my first was Hatfull In Hollow bought 1984 on a trip end december to London, should have bought the debut instead...all the songs seems so personal and feeling, as a Dutch young Lad of 19 the Smiths became my secret...

btw heard them on Dutch radio in 1983 and got hypnotised in a sort of way, till 1987 the Smiths Pinkpop gig was cancelled , well the reason we all know...the magic never disapears especially their first 2 studio albums...

Another thing that was unusual at the time was how Morrissey repeated lines that he liked. He got that from listening to Patti Smith. I always remember it as somhing quite novel as though he liked what he was saying so much, that he thought it might be worth saying again!

Even when he repeats his lines, he changes up the cadence & tone of his voice, so it never sounds repetitive. He could sing the same word a thousand different ways. Morrissey’s always utilised his voice as an extra instrument.

Tags
debut album morrissey the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom