The Smiths photos that got pulled because the NME said they'd 'never be big enough' - M.E.N.

Manchester Evening News.

By Emily Heward - 6th October, 2018.

The Smiths photos that got pulled because the NME said they'd 'never be big enough'

This week marks 36 years since their first live gig at Manchester's Ritz.
We spoke to photographer Kevin Cummins about his work with the band.

0_JS164696164-1.jpg

Excerpt:

"At the time they were a breath of fresh air, we'd had a couple of year of New Romantic style bands like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, much poppier bands who were the kind of thing your kid sister would like," he says.

"Then suddenly The Smiths came along and The Jesus and Mary Chain and they had a lot of presence and influenced a whole generation."

1_JS164696370.jpg

All images © Kevin Cummins.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/smiths-photos-pulled-because-nme-15242095

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I think they're wondering now, respectfully, what the f^^k are you're going on about now Amy !

The last two albums have been superb. And I am not biased, in the slightest.

Hazard
x

Hello Hazard. Since there's no accounting for taste, I'll just ask - did you miss his big rant from last Christmas, moaning about how he had wanted better chart success for LIHS but media goblins sabotaged him, etc, etc? The album did not perform well and it had mixed or average reviews in general. If you like it, fine, but let's not pretend it's up there with Vauxhall.

By the way, saying "I am not biased" doesn't really make it true, does it.

I wonder how the Moz camp reacted when we twigged in seconds that John Riggers was Morrissey interviewing himself. It wasn't very subtle: "Oh, your solo musicians are wonderful! I could never imagine The Smiths being so powerful or varied." :lbf:

And then you just know, at night, he's gulping back the vodka and listening to:

Yes, and when Mr Sausage Fingers himself got rumbled after threatening to bash our heads in with a baseball bat.

Yes, and when Mr Sausage Fingers himself got rumbled after threatening to bash our heads in with a baseball bat.

Eh no actually you’re wrong, again as usual. Nobody threatened anybody, someone expressed how something made them feel.

I like that photograph. Not because of who is sitting in the chair though. The green and yellow square (blinds maybe?) and the red rectangle below it is very Rothko. The orange chairs and yellow table brighten the shot. Who composed/took this photograph?

Isn't it the same shirt from November Spawned... and Bona Drag?
Possibly but then it's also the same shirt he's wearing on the sleeve for YTOFMF. We're only talking one years difference anyway.

MORRISSEY_YOURE%2BTHE%2BONE%2BFOR%2BME%2BFATTY-113116.jpg

Possibly but then it's also the same shirt he's wearing on the sleeve for YTOFMF. We're only talking one years difference anyway.

MORRISSEY_YOURE%2BTHE%2BONE%2BFOR%2BME%2BFATTY-113116.jpg

He had those made for him, and the one he wore in the November vid was tighter and had a zipper.

View attachment 45999

It's almost like they visit here before posting on the above...
Regards,
FWD.
I hate the N.M.E. because they have always had it in for Morrissey. I guess he doesn't fit their very narrow- minded view as to how a 'rockstar' should be.

Whenever I see old photos of The Smiths I wish that they could cut the other members out and just have Morrissey there on his own! Morrissey was so beautiful and photogenic back then and he still is today. I prefer Morrissey as a solo artist. I don't like all the hurt, drama and pain the other former members of The Smiths have caused in Morrissey's life since the breakup. :cry:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom