The Smiths Tease Something Involving The Queen Is Dead Coming Tomorrow - Pitchfork

The Smiths Tease Something Involving The Queen Is Dead Coming Tomorrow - Pitchfork
A cryptic image with the caption “TQID 16.06.17” appears on the band’s official Facebook page

#TQID
40232_tqid_inner.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought so too.
But when even Boz Boorer starts to promoting that single I wonder who is poking around with a stick in the ashes to somehow, in a magical way create a revival.
Must be a real voodoo docter.:rolleyes:

As long as we remember they are ashes and those times are gone. I'm not entirely agin reissues, and a series of two or three disc album rereleases could still tempt me, but just rereleasing old stuff with vastly inferior artwork doesn't quite cut it. They aren't selling the music anymore, they're selling the cardboard it comes in.

I was reading an interesting piece in the Guardian a couple of weeks back about the bottom falling out of the Elvis Presley collectors market as the fans, well... lets not beat about the bush... die. No artist in history has been as exploited as Elvis, alive or dead, and yet ultimately all that is left is the music itself and the memories of those lucky enough to have seen him perform. It's the forty-fifth anniversary of Aloha From Hawaii next year, and I'm sure the box set mock ups will already be doing the rounds, but presumably the production run will be rather more limited.

My point, if there is one, is that just churning out new old product is beneath the Smiths, or if it isn't it should be.

I'm afraid so, and if they got together again for a weeks residency at Wembley and/or Madison Square Garden for thirty million quid it would just be four old blokes who once, decades ago, captured the hearts and minds of a small fervent audience of now similarly old gits, male and female. Except this time the online ticket algorithms would ensure the only people who could afford to see them would be lottery winners, assuming there would be any seats left after the media got their free passes, of course.

It would be as far away from the original ethos of the band as it would be possible to get. "They're selling hippy wigs in Woolworths, man."

For the first time in a couple of years I've been able divorce the gold plated idiocy of Modern Morrissey from the music enough to revisit their music. It remains pristine. It is there in my mind as glittering and thrilling as it ever was. It doesn't need to be revisited in new and unexciting vinyl formats which will be lucky to sell in the very low thousands. It isn't as if there's any money in it for any of the participants. Why bother? It's just chipping away at perfection. It's like colouring in Guernica.

There have been far, far superior fake Smiths cover artwork posted by members here down the years. Its not as if it's difficult. "Google picture of Rita Tushingham or 60s icon of choice, trim as required, add colour filter to taste, add text in Helvetica/Arial/Futura, save image as..."

As long as we remember they are ashes and those times are gone. I'm not entirely agin reissues, and a series of two or three disc album rereleases could still tempt me, but just rereleasing old stuff with vastly inferior artwork doesn't quite cut it. They aren't selling the music anymore, they're selling the cardboard it comes in.

I was reading an interesting piece in the Guardian a couple of weeks back about the bottom falling out of the Elvis Presley collectors market as the fans, well... lets not beat about the bush... die. No artist in history has been as exploited as Elvis, alive or dead, and yet ultimately all that is left is the music itself and the memories of those lucky enough to have seen him perform. It's the forty-fifth anniversary of Aloha From Hawaii next year, and I'm sure the box set mock ups will already be doing the rounds, but presumably the production run will be rather more limited.

My point, if there is one, is that just churning out new old product is beneath the Smiths, or if it isn't it should be.

I've got Aloha from Hawaii on vinyl. And GI Blues. Unfortunately neither are in what you would call mint condition as they've been played to death. Firstly by my Mum in the late 50s/ early 60s and then by me.
EDIT: I meant Blue Hawaii. As you were

Last edited:
Pitchfork reporting the B-sides are rarities: Oscillate Wildly, Money Changes Everything and The Draize Train and I Keep Mine Hidden.

They don't mention whether the 3 instrumentals now feature Morrissey rapping about Brexit, Donald Trump and black empowerment whilst wearing a questionable t-shirt over the top of them.

A re-released statement about a re-released song I already have more then 3 versions of. :squiffy:
Exactly. Question: How many times can they sell the same thing? Answer: As often as people are willing to waste their hard earned cash on it.

The rich must profit and get richer
And the poor must stay poor
Oh, you poor little fool- oh, you fool

Well folks,
Here's the sum total of effort for a new release - a couple of cryptic references, Boz advertising it, SER sharing an animated mp4 and this repeated post of Sam's on the 'main' page:
20170616_120704.png

(It won't allow the video to be shared via FB, but it's identical to Sam's posted one).

For fear of sounding bitter, I think this is just being done to shift records gathering dust and to prevent our Slavic 'entrepreneurs' making lots of money by drip feeding the market.
A 31st anniversary for such a prestigious album is a damp squib. It flys in the face of previous cover design, advertising, marketing and is a sad reminder of how far things have moved away from the 'Peepholism' days.
Not bitter, but bored,
FWD.

Last edited:
Here's confirmation of indie record shops carrying it in the UK. A very established independent record shop:

Can anyone confirm it's available in the States anywhere or Europe?
A UK only release will bring nothing but Ebay scum out to hike prices.
Regards,
FWD.

Well folks,
Here's the sum total of effort for a new release - a couple of cryptic references, Boz advertising it, SER sharing an animated mp4 and this repeated post of Sam's on the 'main' page:
View attachment 41732
(It won't allow the video to be shared via FB, but it's identical to Sam's posted one).

For fear of sounding bitter, I think this is just being done to shift records gathering dust and to prevent our Slavic 'entrepreneurs' making lots of money by drip feeding the market.
A 31st anniversary for such a prestigious album is a damp squib. It flys in the face of previous cover design, advertising, marketing and is a sad reminder of how far things have moved away from the 'Peepholism' days.
Not bitter, but bored,
FWD.

Hi FWD,
That's quite interesting to see that SER video shared on the Morrissey Official FB. Thanks for posting that. I think the FB account set that post to be viewable to U.K. fans only, which makes sense as to not confuse would-be buyers! :)
(I say this because I am here in the USA and I don't see the FB post...unless my browser is being wonky which is definitely a possibility too...)

:)
A genuine 'lol' moment!
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Hi FWD,
That's quite interesting to see that SER video shared on the Morrissey Official FB. Thanks for posting that. I think the FB account set that post to be viewable to U.K. fans only, which makes sense as to not confuse would-be buyers! :)
(I say this because I am here in the USA and I don't see the FB post...unless my browser is being wonky which is definitely a possibility too...)
I replaced the video post with a screencap as I got a 'you do not have permission to share...' error when sharing the FB URL here (and I'm in the UK). So probably wonky Moz, not wonky browser. ;)
Regards,
FWD.

Well folks,
View attachment 41732

Not bitter, but bored,
FWD.

The animation isn't by SER. He just shared it. It's from Crash Collect

https://www.instagram.com/CrashCollect/

The animation isn't by SER. He just shared it. It's from Crash Collect

https://www.instagram.com/CrashCollect/

Don't think my post implies he made it - 'shared' being the operative term. Their watermark on the video was a clue also.
Given Sam hasn't mastered photoshop yet, I'm guessing animation is a long way off :)
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

:)
A genuine 'lol' moment!
Regards,
FWD.

I love it , the guy singing had no clue..:eek:
Oh and I didn't know Mike is a grandpa now.
He also commented :" I don't get any publishing at all for the instrumentals. You know what? Morrissey gets 50% of them even though he doesn't play on them......"

Here's confirmation of indie record shops carrying it in the UK. A very established independent record shop:

Can anyone confirm it's available in the States anywhere or Europe?
A UK only release will bring nothing but Ebay scum out to hike prices.
Regards,
FWD.

Each time you pay you supports the process. f*** the ebay skanks.
I was queuing for the Ringleader tour outside the Olympia in Dublin when a ticket tout tosser tried to sell me a Moz ticket for the following night for double face value. I told him to stick it. Even though it would have been nice to see Moz two nights in a row.

Moz will go mad complaining that Joyce just threw 50p of HIS money to someone singing a Smiths tune without permission! I see a lengthy court case ahead!

Fortunately that judge is no longer amongst us.
But there will be another one, they're all the same.
And the lawyers are already sniffing, with their nose in the air and they are able to smell the money between all other poisonous particles flowing around.

I love it , the guy singing had no clue..:eek:
Oh and I didn't know Mike is a grandpa now.
He also commented :" I don't get any publishing at all for the instrumentals. You know what? Morrissey gets 50% of them even though he doesn't play on them......"

Sounds like a smiths reunion any time now

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom