The world's oldest music store Spillers Records bans Morrissey albums

Morrissey banned. Let the book burning's begin..

Spillers Records bans Morrissey music over his support for the far right - Wales Online
The world's oldest record store said it was 'saddened but not surprised'

Excerpt:

The world's oldest record store Spillers Records in Cardiff has banned Morrissey records from its store.

The shop, in Morgan Arcade, is refusing to stock the singer's releases because of his continued support for the far-right.

However, one place you won't be able to buy the album is Cardiff's much loved independent record shop Spillers.

Ashli Todd, the owner of Spillers said: "I'm saddened but ultimately not surprised that Spillers is unable to stock Morrissey’s releases any longer. I only wished I’d done it sooner.”

full

Spillers owner Ashli Todd (Image: WalesOnline/Rob Browne)

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Bret Easton Ellis could write a sequel to « White », which would be just about Morrissey.

They don’t have to apply the same rules to every other artist represented in the shop. Outrage is subjective. Maybe she was a big fan of Morrissey and his recent bullshit is particularly upsetting to her. Either way, this is the “whataboutism” I mentioned earlier.

The idea that this “publicity” will translate to more sales for the shop is as absurd a theory as The Guardian “making millions” off of running a negative story about Morrissey here and there. You’re delusional when it comes to your hero.

Nah, you’re wrong, guess we’ll just have to agree that we disagree.

Never said anything about anyone making millions. It’s publicity that may or may not help in the long run, they take their chances, they have little to lose. People do strange things out of desperation. Is Morrissey really bothering her/them so much that it makes her/them forget all of the other evil shit in their record bins?

Or is Morrissey just the newly appointed boogeyman for 2019?

Last edited:
Ashli Todd, the owner of Spillers said: "I'm saddened but ultimately not surprised that Spillers is unable to stock Morrissey’s releases any longer. I only wished I’d done it sooner.”

‘saddened’ but... ‘only wish I’d done it sooner’

? :crazy:

It’s a very strange stance to take and opens a can of worms about who else you “ban” based on morals. It’s a bit of publicity for the shop, but what will it achieve? Morrissey does well in the vinyl charts, so not stocking his material will only deprive them of sales. Fans will go elsewhere and Morrissey isn’t affected.

You're missing the point. Any private business can do what the hell they like. People can vote with their money. Nothing changes.

What a total CANTANKEROUSLY c***ISH thing to do. What about the fans who might want to buy his records? This is a sick joke.
f***ing boring vanilla PC world run by piss stained gowl lice. She must be a total twat. A twat that wears sweaters and scarf in hot summer weather. And trousers, when she should be at the beach washing out her crab infested crusted cracks.
Put the bottle down.

Jay Z should be exterminated and his pulped pureed remains used for bio-fuel.

And his pig of a wife.

That way they would finally be contributing to society.
Absolutely vile stuff to say, let alone think. You must be utterly and thoroughly depressed and at war with existence.

Like someone said, it's one small shop (in bloody Cardiff!). Banning and silencing artists (and the media, for that matter) is awful, but this hate mongering and sickening insults being thrown around here is just f***ed up. It won't help nor affect Moz in the slightest. He could care less about this shop.

It's private business, they can do what they like.

You are of course, right. However, why wait to announce it on Morrissey's birthday? The shops owner even said "I only wished I’d done it sooner.” So why hadn't she? She could've announced it last year or this Friday when California Son is released. She didn't. She planned to announce it on Morrissey's birthday for maximum publicity.

f*** Spillers

It's private business, they can do what they like.

You are, of course absolutely right - Ashli Todd and Spillers can do what they like.

But doesn't it remind you, just slightly, of something that happened just a few weeks back? You know, when Morrissey "took a stand" by backing the banning of fur in NYC before his shows there? At which point your thoughtfully reasoned response was as follows:

"And there you have it for the 999th time. Tickets not selling, name in news, please buy more tickets.

Money, money, money. Every single time. On the back of an appeal about animal cruelty.

The shameless, grabbing bastard."

Hmmm.

Well this is inconsistent and wrong really. The owner states ".. not surprised" quite right as it was her decision how could she be surprised at it ! Also says can't believe the fuss over the shops stock policy and no one would have noticed if not for Wales online.... Wales online psychic or did she infact inform people of this decision to court publicity ? And then via Twitter ask people to help her through the moral minefield when it's pointed out the views and actions of other artists she stocks!!!!!!??? Got any Queen records ? Sun City remember, Sonny and Cher he wasn't nice to her, could go on ...

You are, of course absolutely right - Ashli Todd and Spillers can do what they like.

But doesn't it remind you, just slightly, of something that happened just a few weeks back? You know, when Morrissey "took a stand" by backing the banning of fur in NYC before his shows there? At which point your thoughtfully reasoned response was as follows:

"And there you have it for the 999th time. Tickets not selling, name in news, please buy more tickets.

Money, money, money. Every single time. On the back of an appeal about animal cruelty.

The shameless, grabbing bastard."

Hmmm.
totally right,skinny more faces than the town clock.

I'm sure she's never lifted a finger to challenge right wingers before. I love all 12 covers and I've only heard 5. Happy B-day sweetness.
you will love the other 7 as well.great album.

It just such a warped moral choice. He’s done nothing to no one. He said he’d vote for a particular party and wore a pin. This is worse than violent domestic abusers and pedophilia and drug dealers who actually talk about shooting people in real life. Such an odd moral compass
Banning one artist for a badge and a political endorsement based on a party s animal welfare policy isn't much of a moral stance.
Doing it on his birthday is a calculated and feeble attempt at publicity.
I dont think it's good for business to ignore all the other artists who have actually committed crimes against children if taking a moral stance is how you run your shop.
It reeks of hypocrisy and pretend concern for who? Children? Animals? People who can't read a political statement and judge for themselves?
It's so patronising and symptomatic of the times we live in.
Anyway I preordered my copy of California Son from Mporium.

I wrote a song about her poxy store and the decision:

Made me giggle
made me LOL
you are poor
have no control
this is what you do when the going gets tough

What do you plan on next
burning books full of text
a pile so high
you want him to die
but that ain't happening
this is why

He had a life unlike you sister
he achieved more than you ever will
when you stand in that moldy store
he will be out there in the world
but you will remain a bore (whore)
Real missed opportunity here in not rhyming sister with mister.

So, is she refusing to stock Smiths records as well?

I was just thinking that same thing! Once you go down this path, how far do you pursue it? Or will they keep on selling Smiths stuff because, you know, it probably generates more revenue anyway...? And if you do refuse to sell Smiths records, aren't you then unfairly punishing Marr, etc? It's a cracking publicity stunt in terms of generating press for her shop, but it only really works as a principled stance if she'd put out a press statement like, "We're now not only the oldest record store in the world, but the first to refuse to stock music by all artists whose views don't chime with our liberal progressive worldview!"

(Or something slightly catchier.)

So...now people will buy his album on ebay or Amazon. Who cares?

Tags
california son info morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom