The world's oldest music store Spillers Records bans Morrissey albums

Morrissey banned. Let the book burning's begin..

Spillers Records bans Morrissey music over his support for the far right - Wales Online
The world's oldest record store said it was 'saddened but not surprised'

Excerpt:

The world's oldest record store Spillers Records in Cardiff has banned Morrissey records from its store.

The shop, in Morgan Arcade, is refusing to stock the singer's releases because of his continued support for the far-right.

However, one place you won't be able to buy the album is Cardiff's much loved independent record shop Spillers.

Ashli Todd, the owner of Spillers said: "I'm saddened but ultimately not surprised that Spillers is unable to stock Morrissey’s releases any longer. I only wished I’d done it sooner.”

full

Spillers owner Ashli Todd (Image: WalesOnline/Rob Browne)

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're missing the point. Any private business can do what the hell they like. People can vote with their money. Nothing changes.
Well, indeed, that’s what I was saying; I don’t think I’m missing the point at all.

Morrissey generates sales and the shop not stocking his material will deprive them of sales. People vote with their wallet and go elsewhere. It’s only the shop at a loss.

You are, of course absolutely right - Ashli Todd and Spillers can do what they like.

But doesn't it remind you, just slightly, of something that happened just a few weeks back? You know, when Morrissey "took a stand" by backing the banning of fur in NYC before his shows there? At which point your thoughtfully reasoned response was as follows:

"And there you have it for the 999th time. Tickets not selling, name in news, please buy more tickets.

Money, money, money. Every single time. On the back of an appeal about animal cruelty.

The shameless, grabbing bastard."

Hmmm.
Indeed, the man is an utter hypocrite, but that's been apparant for years now.

Well, indeed, that’s what I was saying; I don’t think I’m missing the point at all.

Morrissey generates sales and the shop not stocking his material will deprive them of sales. People vote with their wallet and go elsewhere. It’s only the shop at a loss.

But the shop isn't really at a loss. Here we are talking about it, whereas we wouldn't be otherwise. They get publicity and moral virtue. Their name is in peoples heads

Whenever I visit a record shop I've never been to, the first thing I do, purely out of habit, is to rummage through the Morrissey section. I've always wanted to visit this shop, due to its historic importance, so it's sad that I won't be able to do that there.

I don't agree with this move myself, though I also don't agree that just because you want to take a stand against this bad thing you therefore have to take a stand against another bad thing, like all these people here who think they're hypocritical if they continue stocking Michael Jackson records. It would only be hypocritical if they continued stocking music by another artist who openly promotes far-right politics, as that (whether you agree with the stand or not) is what they're choosing to stand against. Somebody mentioned David Bowie, but Bowie wasn't actually promoting Naziism and he apologised for that incident.

Whenever I visit a record shop I've never been to, the first thing I do, purely out of habit, is to rummage through the Morrissey section. I've always wanted to visit this shop, due to its historic importance, so it's sad that I won't be able to do that there.

I don't agree with this move myself, though I also don't agree that just because you want to take a stand against this bad thing you therefore have to take a stand against another bad thing, like all these people here who think they're hypocritical if they continue stocking Michael Jackson records. It would only be hypocritical if they continued stocking music by another artist who openly promotes far-right politics, as that (whether you agree with the stand or not) is what they're choosing to stand against. Somebody mentioned David Bowie, but Bowie wasn't actually promoting Naziism and he apologised for that incident.

Maybe, but there's a moral judgement being made here i.e. the owner finds underaged sex/padeophilia, in the cases of Bowie and Jackson, less offensive than someone having views they don't agree with. Personally, for me, somebody committing murder like Phil Spector, or the acts of Gary Glitter say, are worse than having just an odd and inconsistent point of view.

Also, there are plenty of right wing singers and musicians out there. Elvis. Johnny Ramone. Ted Nugent. Phil Collins. Eric Clapton. Gary Barlow. Kanye West. Iggy Pop. Even Kate Bush praised Theresa May.

Ian Curtis voted Tory and his band name was a direct Nazi reference - does she stock Joy Division?

It's also ironic that's now she's not stocking an album that actually contains several left-liberal protest songs.

I vote Labour btw - and will today - and I find this whole social media-driven demonising of Morrissey utterly ludicrous.

Maybe, but there's a moral judgement being made here i.e. the owner finds underaged sex/padeophilia, in the cases of Bowie and Jackson, less offensive than someone having views they don't agree with. Personally, for me, somebody committing murder like Phil Spector, or the acts of Gary Glitter say, are worse than having just an odd and inconsistent point of view.

Also, there are plenty of right wing singers and musicians out there. Elvis. Johnny Ramone. Ted Nugent. Phil Collins. Eric Clapton. Gary Barlow. Kanye West. Iggy Pop. Even Kate Bush praised Theresa May.

Ian Curtis voted Tory and his band name was a direct Nazi reference - does she stock Joy Division?

It's also ironic that's now she's not stocking an album that actually contains several left-liberal protest songs.

I vote Labour btw - and will today - and I find this whole social media-driven demonising of Morrissey utterly ludicrous.

It's also fascinating (and to me disturbing) how far this delight in demonising people online - Morrissey in this instance, but it happens everywhere now - has shifted in the last few years.

Here, for example, is Laura Snapes writing on the NME Blog in 2010 about Moe Tucker of the VU and her right-wing views: "It’s so strange – authors are given the privilege of detaching from their work. When you read American Psycho, you don’t believe that Bret Easton Ellis could be capable of such stomach-turning acts of rape and murder. So likewise, surely if musicians sympathise with certain aspects of right-wing politics, we should surely afford them that same separation of personality and art."

Laura's now at the Guardian, of course, and while people are perfectly entitled to change their opinions over time, it just seems so very sad that we've ended up in a cultural moment where everything has to be so polarised and vindictive.

Up until yesterday, Spillers Records was only mentioned here in a total of 3 separate posts in the context of buying records since 1999 (assuming the search function is accurate).
Yes, they can stock what they like, but when it's dressed up publicly as a "moral" choice and then that ideology isn't applied equally to EVERY artist, band member, production team etc - then it smacks of targeted hypocrisy.
Exactly like those who can only call Morrissey's behaviour in to account despite the vast array of other people in the history of music who may need scrutinising too and yet people don't 'boycott' their music - fickle & hypocritical.
That's the beginning & end of my 2 cents.
Regards,
FWD.

Not sure how I feel about the banning of his records for some of the reasons that others have pointed, however I do feel that there has to be some kind of perspective considered in regards to Morrissey's promotion of right wing politics.

The politics he appears to be promoting are further to the right of that of the Tories etc, saw a comparison to Kate Bush's support of Theresa May, May might be a right wing tory however she isn't singling out a group of people by their colour, culture and religion to provoke an already growing resentment towards Islam/Muslims in the UK. Lets not forget that Islam is the second biggest religion in the world, that's a big group of people to aim their opinions at.
Recent reports in the UK show a rise in race/hate crimes towards Muslims since the EU referendum, hardly a coincidence that this has tied with the rise of groups headed by the likes of Stephen 'milkshake' Yaxley-Lennon, himself a bit of a nasty piece of work in terms of convictions for violence. I personally think that by supporting these groups Morrissey could be attracting a certain type of thug to his fanbase. Take my experience at the Ally Pally last year, a group of lads singling out 2 girls who were of eastern European descent and querying why they were in attendance 'dont you listen to his lyrics' and 'you shouldn't be here' were aimed at them.

I've phoned Spillers and asked if they sell albums by Ryan Adams. Was told that they don't have any in stock atm but they can order them. I also asked if they sell records by The Smiths. The customer assistant just sniggered and walked off. Didn't even hang up. So I did.

Not sure how I feel about the banning of his records for some of the reasons that others have pointed, however I do feel that there has to be some kind of perspective considered in regards to Morrissey's promotion of right wing politics.

The politics he appears to be promoting are further to the right of that of the Tories etc, saw a comparison to Kate Bush's support of Theresa May, May might be a right wing tory however she isn't singling out a group of people by their colour, culture and religion to provoke an already growing resentment towards Islam/Muslims in the UK. Lets not forget that Islam is the second biggest religion in the world, that's a big group of people to aim their opinions at.
Recent reports in the UK show a rise in race/hate crimes towards Muslims since the EU referendum, hardly a coincidence that this has tied with the rise of groups headed by the likes of Stephen 'milkshake' Yaxley-Lennon, himself a bit of a nasty piece of work in terms of convictions for violence. I personally think that by supporting these groups Morrissey could be attracting a certain type of thug to his fanbase. Take my experience at the Ally Pally last year, a group of lads singling out 2 girls who were of eastern European descent and querying why they were in attendance 'dont you listen to his lyrics' and 'you shouldn't be here' were aimed at them.

:rolleyes:

you left wing skinny puppet loons are a trip..overnight taking up hard core capitalism, with the right to sell whatever the 'private':lbf: property owner wants. if the owner had decided to boycott Islamic babushkas you would all be fluttering around in a fluttering fury.:lbf:

poor twats. o_O

:rolleyes:

you left wing skinny puppet loons are a trip..overnight taking up hard core capitalism, with the right to sell whatever the 'private':lbf: property owner wants. if the owner had decided to boycott Islamic babushkas you would all be fluttering around in a fluttering fury.:lbf:

poor twats. o_O

Not sure where you get the impression that I'm 'left-wing'. Not said that anywhere in my post. Pointed out the rise of violence and hatred towards people of a certain religion or colour is not left-wing.

Here's a wee bit of evidence to back it up - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...se-since-brexit-vote-nationwide-study-reveals

Hardly left-wing to condone violence and hatred towards those of a different culture.

Poor Twat;)

I was just thinking that same thing! Once you go down this path, how far do you pursue it? Or will they keep on selling Smiths stuff because, you know, it probably generates more revenue anyway...? And if you do refuse to sell Smiths records, aren't you then unfairly punishing Marr, etc? It's a cracking publicity stunt in terms of generating press for her shop, but it only really works as a principled stance if she'd put out a press statement like, "We're now not only the oldest record store in the world, but the first to refuse to stock music by all artists whose views don't chime with our liberal progressive worldview!"

(Or something slightly catchier.)
I hope this is catchy enough,
To be done to rap music of your choice.

As record stores go
we on the down low,
If you sin yo in the bin
Cos you wearing that pin
We're Liberal and progressive,
To some that means repressive
We are traders in morality,
But only if yo Morrissey.
We ain't singin happy birthday
Cos we working on publicity
If yo incite murder
We feature yo cover,
We down with the ho,
The GBH and the psedo
We ain't slamming Jay Z
We jus dissin M-O-Z
You don't get to choose,
We do it fo you s,
We talking free publicity,
Not save the animuls yo see
We spillers and we cool,
We playin yo fo da fool
Yo all get yo knickers in a twist
We all get free publissss
Break it down mofo s... Shump aoee paw pwuu prump (and other cool rapping noises).
Word.

Hateful people will use whatever they can to express there hate. He’s not responsible for anyone’s actions. He’s got plenty of lyrics that are anti violence as well. He’s not responsible just like Ellis isn’t responsible for any misogynist acts committed by people reading American psycho. Just like violent video games aren’t responsible for people’s actions

The difference between all those acts you mention and M, is that they were always right wing. It was never any secret and it didn't go against anything they stood for.
The whole persona/spirit/image of the Smiths and Morrissey was hugely and passionately anti-royalty and anti-right wing so it is utterly and totally unbelievable that he has gone out of his way to show support for a clearly right wing party. A party who want to protect the rich with tax cuts, deny the climate crisis (removing environmental taxes), and spend more on the military (diverting foreign aid). Classic right-wing policies which are massively against the spirit of the Smiths and Morrissey, even expressed as recently on his last album 'spend more on nuclear war if that's your chosen illusion'. A true friend of Morrissey's would get him to read the For Bigots and find out what they stand for, as he clearly has not done this.

Up until yesterday, Spillers Records was only mentioned here in a total of 3 separate posts in the context of buying records since 1999 (assuming the search function is accurate).
Yes, they can stock what they like, but when it's dressed up publicly as a "moral" choice and then that ideology isn't applied equally to EVERY artist, band member, production team etc - then it smacks of targeted hypocrisy.
Exactly like those who can only call Morrissey's behaviour in to account despite the vast array of other people in the history of music who may need scrutinising too and yet people don't 'boycott' their music - fickle & hypocritical.
That's the beginning & end of my 2 cents.
Regards,
FWD.

I wholly disagree, I believe it’s 100% a moral choice.
Sounds to me like she’s finally had enough of Morrissey’s constant whining and negativity & now publicly endorsing a far right campaign, Morrissey is a bag egg. (Fans) You’re guilty of fascism & racism by association now, that’s how bad it’s got with the stink that surrounds him. Maybe she’s hated him for years, and begrudgingly sold his records, and this is the final straw. Maybe she’s been an adoring fan and now feels disappointed & let down. But some of the cry baby arguments on here make no sense, might aswell be saying “Ban Eminem cos’ he says naughty words”, why would she tho, that doesn’t affect her personally, “ban jacko, he’s a peado”, again, doesn’t affect her personally so it’s a pointless comparison. Morrissey is campaigning for something utterly poisonous, and she’s obviously at odds with it. Good on her.

I wholly disagree, I believe it’s 100% a moral choice.
Sounds to me like she’s finally had enough of Morrissey’s constant whining and negativity & now publicly endorsing a far right campaign, Morrissey is a bag egg. (Fans) You’re guilty of fascism & racism by association now, that’s how bad it’s got with the stink that surrounds him. Maybe she’s hated him for years, and begrudgingly sold his records, and this is the final straw. Maybe she’s been an adoring fan and now feels disappointed & let down. But some of the cry baby arguments on here make no sense, might aswell be saying “Ban Eminem cos’ he says naughty words”, why would she tho, that doesn’t affect her personally, “ban jacko, he’s a peado”, again, doesn’t affect her personally so it’s a pointless comparison. Morrissey is campaigning for something utterly poisonous, and she’s obviously at odds with it. Good on her.
They are completely allowed to do what they want, but again: if it offends their morals then said morals need to apply to any & every person who comes near Morrissey's perceived behaviour - otherwise it isn't a moral decision by any definition of the term. Your personal morality/moral compass is an expression of a total way of thinking, not something that selectively & subjectively appears when it feels like it. In other words, if it's far right views that upset them then all who meet that criteria need denouncing too.
The store owner is more likely making a personal choice and should probably be presented as such rather than linking it to any moral code that clearly isn't extended to other people that, by definition, should be included in removing from shelves.
Regards,
FWD.

Hateful people will use whatever they can to express there hate. He’s not responsible for anyone’s actions. He’s got plenty of lyrics that are anti violence as well. He’s not responsible just like Ellis isn’t responsible for any misogynist acts committed by people reading American psycho. Just like violent video games aren’t responsible for people’s actions

Oh I know he's not responsible for people's actions but those with a narrow mind and lack of being able to look beyond hatred will use any reason/excuse to spout hatred.

The original point was about the record shop, I'm not sure it makes any difference to anything really, my point is that by wearing a badge or making some of the comments he has made he is helping to contribute towards the growing issue of hatred towards those of a different colour/culture - racism:(

They are completely allowed to do what they want, but again: if it offends their morals then said morals need to apply to any & every person who comes near Morrissey's perceived behaviour - otherwise it isn't a moral decision by any definition of the term. Your personal morality/moral compass is an expression of a total way of thinking, not something that selectively & subjectively appears when it feels like it. In other words, if it's far right views that upset them then all who meet that criteria need denouncing too.
The store owner is more likely making a personal choice and should probably be presented as such rather than linking it to any moral code that clearly isn't extended to other people that, by definition, should be included in removing from shelves.
Regards,
FWD.

Who else is mirroring Morrissey’s behaviour? Who deserves the same banning treatment? I’m sure you actually have a list of names tbh lol but I don’t follow the music scene much, so I don’t know which other artists are out there plugging this campaign and wearing For Britain badges on tv, which other artists have received personal video messages from Anne Marie Waters thanking them for their endorsement.

Who else is mirroring Morrissey’s behaviour? Who deserves the same banning treatment? I’m sure you actually have a list of names tbh lol but I don’t follow the music scene much, so I don’t know which other artists are out there plugging this campaign and wearing For Britain badges on tv, which other artists have received personal video messages from Anne Marie Waters thanking them for their endorsement.

Probably you are just a sad and lonely person. Nothing wrong with that, but if you hate Morrissey so much why do you run the Morrissey/Smiths rarities FB page and why do you spend your days (and money) looking for Moz/Smiths related stuff? You can do whatever the f*** you want with your time, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I would find it depressing when I spend my time on a "fascist/racist" or on someone I dislike. Have a nice day.

Tags
california son info morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom