Tobias on IANADOAC

SweetnTenderYorkshireman

Anyone else impressed with Jesse Tobias on the new album?
Know he gets a bit of stick on here, but I think some of his guitar playing and tone on this new record is really great, particularly “Jim Jim Falls” “IANADOAC” “Who Lives in These Houses?”

Know he gets a bit of stick on here, but I think some of his guitar playing and tone on this new record is really great, particularly “Jim Jim Falls” “IANADOAC” “Who Lives in These Houses?”

Hi Jesse. ?

Actually, yes. I also noticed he was on top form at the recent shows. Seems like it's really hit or miss with him...

He credited with a lot of goos songs here and I thought you were dead was also pretty great

Jesse still appears ever-constipated when he is on stage. At least he is consistent, as it often carries onto his music.

This certainly is Jesse’s record.
And if it’s Moz’s best since Quarry some of the credits must go to Jesse who wrote 6 of the best songs on it.

I was surprised the title track came from him, and that it's my favourite track on there, that's about it.

I sas a bit worried when I first saw the list of composeras: no Boz, Jesse taking the lead.
Some of his tunes remind me of some of his earlier offerings:
- title track, not dissimilar to I Am Not A Man
-Knockabout World has the same lightness as Bullfighter
- Jim Jim Falls is as catchy as You Have Killed Me
And the other 3 are nice surprises.

I would say that Jesse songs here are more straightforward (in a good way) than the compositions from Gustavo and Mando which are more ambitious sonically and end up dividing fans and critics.

Last edited:
No. He is terrible. In many ways.
But so much better than the dismal pub-rock chug of the average 1995-2010 Alain Whye composition, no? But then again, you're not keen on people of a different ethnic background working with Morrissey are you? You hated the Bobby song didn't you. Presumably because it featured a black woman? Racism disgusts me, and I'm here to stamp it out.

But so much better than the dismal pub-rock chug of the average 1995-2010 Alain Whye composition, no? But then again, you're not keen on people of a different ethnic background working with Morrissey are you? You hated the Bobby song didn't you. Presumably because it featured a black woman? Racism disgusts me, and I'm here to stamp it out.

Wow, someone says Tobias is terrible and you immediately throw out the race card.

Look, I think Tobias did a good job on the record but I think there is valid criticism with him. My main gripe with Tobias is that he butchers too many of the old stuff on stage. Too many bum notes. He murders the solo's in "You're The One For Me, Fatty" and "Reader Meet Author."

I sas a bit worried when I first saw the list of composeras: no Boz, Jesse taking the lead.
Some of his tunes remind me of some of his earlier offerings:
- title track, not dissimilar to I Am Not A Man
-Knockabout World has the same lightness as Bullfighter
- Jim Jim Falls is as catchy as You Have Killed Me
And the other 3 are nice surprises.

I would say that Jesse songs here are more straightforward (in a good way) than the compositions from Gustavo and Mando which are more ambitious sonically and end up dividing fans and critics.

some of the songs do have a bit of a familiar vibe in spots but it feels like a culmination to me. I dont hear any of your examples but I do think of mt joy when my hurling days starts. Having heard all the songs I think what kind of people would have been a better third single than knock about world and the truth about Ruth gets my vote for least fav song

some of the songs do have a bit of a familiar vibe in spots but it feels like a culmination to me. I dont hear any of your examples but I do think of mt joy when my hurling days starts. Having heard all the songs I think what kind of people would have been a better third single than knock about world and the truth about Ruth gets my vote for least fav song

My Hurling Days Are Done reminds me a lot of Mountjoy too but parts of the vocal melody also remind me of Teenage Dad On His Estate and to a lesser extent Driving Your Girlfriend Home.

Also, The Truth About Ruth is reminiscent of The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye, Asian Rut and In Your Lap (musically/in terms of melody) and I love it.

Wow, someone says Tobias is terrible and you immediately throw out the race card.

Look, I think Tobias did a good job on the record but I think there is valid criticism with him. My main gripe with Tobias is that he butchers too many of the old stuff on stage. Too many bum notes. He murders the solo's in "You're The One For Me, Fatty" and "Reader Meet Author."

1.Tobias is better in studios than he is on stage
2. He is better than Mando and Gustavo writing songs
3. Boz is sometimes better than the whole in studios.
4. Moz should keep Boz , Matt and sack the rest

Back
Top Bottom