TTY: The Queen Is Dead

An anonymous person sends the link:

The Queen Is Dead - true-to-you.net

160513_01_01.jpg

Morrissey has commented:

"I would like to congratulate the Smiths, and also Stephen Street, and also Rough Trade Records for 30 fantastic years of sales for The Queen Is Dead,which is 30 years old in June. We have always been gagged, of course, but certain recordings rise with time, and The Queen Is Dead and also Meat Is Murder both had the courage to put the fullest meaning of British life into words and music. It was the hope of helping things to evolve, and the mobilized strength of both recordings for 30 years has been fully understood and appreciated by those with sensible passions. Central issues in 2016 England include an urgent need of social justice for animals

160513_01_02.jpg

as well as an obvious recognition of 'monarchy as anarchy' (therefore, something with no place in a democratic society).
160513_01_03.jpg

I am sorry that Warner UK or Sire US cannot provide any celebrations for the anniversaries of both recordings, but, perhaps some label bosses have their eye on a tatty OBE, and perhaps others simply have detachable heads. It would not quite be the Smiths if not classically ignored by the dried-out lawns of the establishment. I urged Warner UK to issue a special 'The Queen Is Dead' single release for the first week of June ... but ... brick wall.

Bleeding to death, I therefore have the restless gall to ask of you that, should you have 99 cents/pence, that you purchase 'The Queen Is Dead' track in the final week of May, thus possibly edging it into the corner of everyone's ear in the UK Top 100 - if only to let them know that we are still here and fully aware of the fox-fur on the hall-stand. I am sorry to ask more of you than you have already given, but we all do as well as we can in such ludicrous times. I can only ask.

160513_01_04.jpg

I am absolutely yours, in pleasant speaking voice, and with good grace."

MORRISSEY
5 May 2016
Los Angeles.

Last edited:
I thought all Smiths royalities went to Joyce or something, after the court case and Morrissey refusing to pay the compensation(?)

Reduced to begging; has he no dignity?

I would call it promotion. Every advertisement is begging you to buy their product, right? He's not saying he needs money for rent. He's trying to coordinate the fans to create the same effect as if the song were re-released, and he's doing it directly as many have suggested he do. There is nothing to complain about here.

It's interesting that a few years ago Morrissey was begging us on TTY *NOT* to buy any Smiths product, as any royalties in the UK would be diverted to Joyce. I wonder if something changed? Otherwise he's not going to earn a penny from this.

I thought all Smiths royalities went to Joyce or something, after the court case and Morrissey refusing to pay the compensation(?)

I think that was until a certain amount was reached but I don't know the legality is. Once the amount was reached I imagine any royalty would then be split. If he could sell the rights, that being moz and marr, and Joyce is considered a quarter partner in the rights after the court battle does that then mean he also got something from the sale of the rights

Is it me or is this the first time in a long long time that Moz has had something positive to say about The Smiths and people associated with creating some of the best music ever recorded?

The queen is dead boys...

TQID led me to the Smiths so I will always be thankful for that. The music beautiful and the lyrics deep and meaningful. I hope he can enjoy the masterpiece that it is. I do.

I think the time to buy the Queen is Dead is right after the Queen herself dies. I have said this before and I can see it going right to number one! That's the time to make a statement about how you feel not now when nobody even knows why it has made it into the Top 100 (would they even notice)?

I would call it promotion. Every advertisement is begging you to buy their product, right? He's not saying he needs money for rent. He's trying to coordinate the fans to create the same effect as if the song were re-released, and he's doing it directly as many have suggested he do. There is nothing to complain about here.

:thumb: Agree! If this does well, hell, he might even go the DIY route and release an album himself, if he sees how going direct to the fans can support his cause. It's what people on this site have been complaining he should do, and here he is reaching out.

Last edited:
:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:"It would not quite be the Smiths if not classically ignored by the dried-out lawns of the establishment."

30 years enjoying the love of the people who matter. Congratulations!!! :flowers:

Oh my. The complete obsession with the pop charts never ceases to flummox me.

I own "THe Queen is Dead" in at least 5 formats and I've seen it live about 15 times. Moz, I will not be buying it again.

(I'm not much for Radiohead, but...) How about you do something truly interesting and drop a surprise new album on your audience next Sunday. That I would purchase. And then come straight here to complain about 2016's clunker, ala "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle."

But I would at least buy it.

Last edited:
I reckon is that guy in the last pic wearing The Smiths shirt George Washington?

Morrissey wouldn't be caught dead in England (literally..see Hollywood Forever Cemetery), but download the old Smiths stuff. The ironic thing is that you Brits will!

AztecCamera
May 13, 2016
Los Angeles.

It's interesting that a few years ago Morrissey was begging us on TTY *NOT* to buy any Smiths product, as any royalties in the UK would be diverted to Joyce. I wonder if something changed? Otherwise he's not going to earn a penny from this.
Also, it's not about the money. He often does things that gain publicity but don't help sales at all. If we take him seriously when he says "I am two people," maybe one of those people cares about record sales but the other one wants to "appear on the front of The Daily Mail" having said something outrageous.
I believe he would like the song to chart, which would give him an ego boost of course, and it's easy to understand that, regardless of whether he makes money on it. But along with that ego boost, his other motivation is to cause HRH to notice this song in the charts. Call it trolling, call it culture jamming, call it punk rock, but the point is to make the song and the phrase "The Queen Is Dead" impossible to avoid.

Also, it's not about the money. He often does things that gain publicity but don't help sales at all. If we take him seriously when he says "I am two people," maybe one of those people cares about record sales but the other one wants to "appear on the front of The Daily Mail" having said something outrageous.
I believe he would like the song to chart, which would give him an ego boost of course, and it's easy to understand that, regardless of whether he makes money on it. But along with that ego boost, his other motivation is to cause HRH to notice this song in the charts. Call it trolling, call it culture jamming, call it punk rock, but the point is to make the song and the phrase "The Queen Is Dead" impossible to avoid.

Correct. But not always when he can personally make a few shillings. This TTY post is sad and saddening.

Give it a f***ing rest. You're more tiresome than Morrissey. If anyone could possibly be on the spectrum it would be you as demonstrated by your responses to him. Seriously, you are obsessed with Morrissey being obsessed with things. Do you not see the irony? No wonder you cannot divorce yourself from him, you're two peas in a pod.

Calm down Pikey ! Seriously, you're obsessed with me aren't you ?
I just think Steven is missing a trick here, what harm would come from him declaring himself world ambassador for autism/charities ?
He should seriously consider it, (much more seriously than the London mayor position) let's face it the celebrity profile side of all things ' Steven ' isn't what it could be at the moment is it ?
The ' A ' word is on the rise with more and more people reaching out to share their experiences ( although I think Kerry Katona is still on the bipolar crusade ) and if Steven re-released " You're the one for me fatty " it could become an autistic anthem and reach the much converted ' Numro Uno ' !
Everyone wins.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Here's a thought !
Could it be that the bread is running out ?
Diesel the lavender bag carrier could be threatened with redundancy !
Maybe we could see an interview on the horizon in the 3* Premier inn hotel glossy magazine !
Maybe he's looked at Mikes statement of account and wants to do the right thing, pay up in full and put it all to bed now.

Calm down Pikey ! Seriously, you're obsessed with me aren't you ?
I just think Steven is missing a trick here, what harm would come from him declaring himself world ambassador for autism/charities ?
He should seriously consider it, (much more seriously than the London mayor position) let's face it the celebrity profile side of all things ' Steven ' isn't what it could be at the moment is it ?
The ' A ' word is on the rise with more and more people reaching out to share their experiences ( although I think Kerry Katona is still on the bipolar crusade ) and if Steven re-released " You're the one for me fatty " it could become an autistic anthem and reach the much converted ' Numro Uno ' !
Everyone wins.

Mate, just shut the f*** up

Some predictable responses from some of the lowlife here...

Personally, I can't see anything to really dislike about this post. It's good to know that Morrissey has some positive feelings towards those Smiths releases and the fact that he would like the title track to chart is clearly far more about his continued anti-monarchist views, than it is about making money.

Some predictable responses from some of the lowlife here...

Personally, I can't see anything to really dislike about this post. It's good to know that Morrissey has some positive feelings towards those Smiths releases and the fact that he would like the title track to chart is clearly far more about his continued anti-monarchist views, than it is about making money.

So, those you disagree with are 'Lowlife'?

And I suggest you pay closer attention to the title track for it's true meaning. The song is about leaving an effeminate character trait behind. "All those lies about make up and long hair, they're still there". The royal aspects are cleverly inserted to give a more up - front interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom