TTY: The Queen Is Dead

An anonymous person sends the link:

The Queen Is Dead - true-to-you.net

160513_01_01.jpg

Morrissey has commented:

"I would like to congratulate the Smiths, and also Stephen Street, and also Rough Trade Records for 30 fantastic years of sales for The Queen Is Dead,which is 30 years old in June. We have always been gagged, of course, but certain recordings rise with time, and The Queen Is Dead and also Meat Is Murder both had the courage to put the fullest meaning of British life into words and music. It was the hope of helping things to evolve, and the mobilized strength of both recordings for 30 years has been fully understood and appreciated by those with sensible passions. Central issues in 2016 England include an urgent need of social justice for animals

160513_01_02.jpg

as well as an obvious recognition of 'monarchy as anarchy' (therefore, something with no place in a democratic society).
160513_01_03.jpg

I am sorry that Warner UK or Sire US cannot provide any celebrations for the anniversaries of both recordings, but, perhaps some label bosses have their eye on a tatty OBE, and perhaps others simply have detachable heads. It would not quite be the Smiths if not classically ignored by the dried-out lawns of the establishment. I urged Warner UK to issue a special 'The Queen Is Dead' single release for the first week of June ... but ... brick wall.

Bleeding to death, I therefore have the restless gall to ask of you that, should you have 99 cents/pence, that you purchase 'The Queen Is Dead' track in the final week of May, thus possibly edging it into the corner of everyone's ear in the UK Top 100 - if only to let them know that we are still here and fully aware of the fox-fur on the hall-stand. I am sorry to ask more of you than you have already given, but we all do as well as we can in such ludicrous times. I can only ask.

160513_01_04.jpg

I am absolutely yours, in pleasant speaking voice, and with good grace."

MORRISSEY
5 May 2016
Los Angeles.

Last edited:
i guess it's the least i could do really. although i am in canada (hi crystalgeezer!)--does this pertain to people in canada, or is it only for uk people? how does one purchase such a thing? do i have to sign up to something or other from which i will henceforth be mercilessly spammed? i have no idea about these things.

oh and congratulations to the smiths and morrissey, of course!

Last edited:
Dear Morrissey:

Please green-light the 30th anniversary 2-CD 1-DVD edition of The Queen Is Dead that Warners have undoubtedly had sitting in a drawer since it was the 20th anniversary edition. If you do that, I'll gladly download whatever song you like however many times you tell me to.

30 fantastic years of "sales" ?

From the horses mouth ! KERCHING !

Come on kids, Steven has spoken, get yer hands in yer pockets, times are hard !

L M A O

Dear Morrissey:

Please green-light the 30th anniversary 2-CD 1-DVD edition of The Queen Is Dead that Warners have undoubtedly had sitting in a drawer since it was the 20th anniversary edition. If you do that, I'll gladly download whatever song you like however many times you tell me to.

L O L !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Is it me or is this the first time in a long long time that Moz has had something positive to say about The Smiths and people associated with creating some of the best music ever recorded?

The queen is dead boys...

Yes - I'm sure Moz could easily have authorised a special edition of 'The Queen is Dead' with some new previously (officially) unreleased tracks and Warners would have bitten his hand off. As for a 'download' campaign to rebuy a song everyone already owns - it hasn't a hope in hell of getting into the top 100 (anyone remember the doomed 'lets all download 'Life is a Pigsty' and make it a hit campaign around here?), so frankly, Mr Shankly...why bother?

Still - at least it's nice to hear him speak positively about the Smiths, as recently all he ever seems to have done is slag them off, and downplay the band compared to his solo efforts.

Morrissey's missive was written on the 5th of May and predates the US Election post released on the 7th May. Just saying.

Please, Morrissey, record a new album (preferably with Johnny Marr)...

Why is the message dated May 5th? I haven't actually purchased either yet, so this will give me a good excuse. For you Mozza...

Reduced to begging; has he no dignity?

That's begging to you? My god, you must be difficult to be with.

- - - Updated - - -

i guess it's the least i could do really. although i am in canada (hi crystalgeezer!)--does this pertain to people in canada, or is it only for uk people? how does one purchase such a thing? do i have to sign up to something or other from which i will henceforth be mercilessly spammed? i have no idea about these things.

oh and congratulations to the smiths and morrissey, of course!

That's a good point. If I buy it here on iTunes Australia it ain't gonna sheet for the UK top 100.

Only the first sentence of that statement is worth reading and points to a positive and forgiving Morrissey who has taken a mature attitude towards the people he has fallen out with over the years. For surely to thank The Smiths he is thanking Joyce too, perhaps recognising his stellar drumming on that track but also all Smiths tracks. Joyce and Rourke are literally the unsung heroes. Once Morrissey dismissed them as the 'Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton' of The Smiths, a statement so ignorant and misjudged as to be laughable, because Buckler and Foxton were an intrinsic part of The Jam.
Nice to see Moz acknowledging Stephen Street, a man he has shambolically mistreated and undervalued in his non payment of his fees plus his failure to include him in the lineup for Wolverhampton. So I choose to ignore the begging and whinging of the remainder of the statement.
Dear Morrissey: surely you are rich enough and intelligent enough to bury the hatchet and look positively on something. You made a fantastic album(s) and could not have done it on your own. As a once wise man once said "it takes guts to be gentle and kind". Surprise me just once by saying something nice that doesn't turn into a lecture. Drop the bullhorn because I'm sick of being screamed at.

Last edited:
This is a laughable disgrace from a man who has made many in the past twelve years. Perhaps it would mean more to offer out petty paypal pence to our local humane animal shelter or a national organization protecting the rights of animals. No. Instead we are cajoled into dropping coins into the bucket of a man who casually jets from continent to continent in search of self identity and a shadow of relevance in the culture of the 21st century. I will not "rebuy" a digital recording of a thirty year old song. It is available on youtube for free.

If he sold the rights to the smiths catalog how much would he still make off of sales? Or marr for that matter as they sold at the same time right. Does he still make any royalties and could he authorize a dvd even if he can't get a song out. Curious to know from those more knowledgeable than I about the subject

Autism ! So much to answer for !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Give it a f***ing rest. You're more tiresome than Morrissey. If anyone could possibly be on the spectrum it would be you as demonstrated by your responses to him. Seriously, you are obsessed with Morrissey being obsessed with things. Do you not see the irony? No wonder you cannot divorce yourself from him, you're two peas in a pod.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom