"Vauxhall And I" aborted re-release bonus tracks

An anonymous person writes:

I have a lot of morrissey's albums but I never listened to these versions:

http://www.filedropper.com/vai2004

please post it for everybody to download and listen. it's in a zip file.

thanks

Related item:

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (Electric)
Black-Eyed Susan (Alternate)
Used To Be A Sweet Boy (Orchestral)
Interlude (Harmonium Version)
Swallow On My Neck (Alternate)

vauxhall_reference.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this - brightened up an otherwise dull Tuesday evening.

For those not able to download, the files are:
- Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (electric) [pretty sure it's the same version that's been around for ages] 3:44
- Black-Eyed Susan (alternate) [there's an extended instrumental break in the middle, over which Morrissey is saying something like "One day soon"] 4:11
- Used To Be A Sweet Boy (orchestral) [I've not heard this version anywhere before; different vocal take, some backing Enya-like vocals and some extra strings] 2:50
- Interlude (harmonium version) [just as tedious as all other versions of this song, I can't be bothered listening to this properly] 3:54
- Swallow On My Neck (alternate) [not as good as the official version, sounds a bit "dreamy", vocal sounds very close to official version] 2:45

excuse me, but is this the real thing? never heard of File Dropper before, and I just couldn't download the file. anyone actually DL and listened to the songs? thx

excuse me, but is this the real thing? never heard of File Dropper before, and I just couldn't download the file. anyone actually DL and listened to the songs? thx

As real as it gets, boy.

Yes. Hearing these songs I always feel how majestic Morrissey was in 1994/1995....but, not now.

That was a great post. Thanks for the music! At times like this Moz solo is exactly the site it should be, with fans sharing and enjoying Morrissey's music.

Much gratitude. I'm glad someone has not felt the need to hold on to the music on these fabled discs.
Appreciated.
FWD.
With all due respect to the original anon poster - a sendspace version for those stuck:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/lgg4ym

That was a great post. Thanks for the music! At times like this Moz solo is exactly the site it should be, with fans sharing and enjoying Morrissey's music.

Unfortunately those times aren't often enough.

For those not able to download, the files are:
- Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (electric) [pretty sure it's the same version that's been around for ages] 3:44
- Black-Eyed Susan (alternate) [there's an extended instrumental break in the middle, over which Morrissey is saying something like "One day soon"] 4:11
- Used To Be A Sweet Boy (orchestral) [I've not heard this version anywhere before; different vocal take, some backing Enya-like vocals and some extra strings] 2:50
- Interlude (harmonium version) [just as tedious as all other versions of this song, I can't be bothered listening to this properly] 3:54
- Swallow On My Neck (alternate) [not as good as the official version, sounds a bit "dreamy", vocal sounds very close to official version] 2:45
Seems pretty accurate on all ,to me.

He may be, but Swallow is the most interesting of the lot.

It's a bit daunting that whenever the band tried to do something different, either via an acoustic rendition or alternative composition (like here with Swallow), it got discarded and a standard electric version ended up taking it's place.

It was the electric version of "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" that was discarded for the acoustic version

Black-Eyed Susan - the only real difference I hear is the addition of the "One Day Soon.." vocals in the middle. The rest is basically the same as the released version.

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself is the same as the more recent version of this that was leaked, featuring the same clunky edit (around 2:18).

Used To Be A Sweet Boy sounds to me like a halfway-point monitor mix, like the versions of Billy Budd and Spring-Heeled Jim that leaked a few years ago. Once the basic tracks are laid down you make up a rough mix of everything you've got so you can decided if you want to go on with this recording or ditch it and start again. Pretty much everything on this version can be heard on the finished track - for example, the 2-note acoustic guitar riff that starts at 0:35 can be heard low and slightly off to the left of the finished mix at 0:38 - but under several layers of overdubs (guitar, vocals and percussion) and effects (delay and reverb).

Interlude may be a similar early mix, using the harmonium as a guide backing (perhaps at Morrissey's suggestion, as a nod to Nico's Innocent And Vain, which he used in his intro tapes around this time), before overdubbing the strings on later. The vocals sound the same as the released version to me.

A Swallow On My Neck reminds me of the UK mix of I'd Love To, being similarly dreamy. It was probably tried as an experiment but discarded in favour of the released version.

Thanks for this.

I just listened to my remastered Vauxhall vinyl, Sunny Single and V&I B sides last week and there is definitely a beautiful acoustic flutter through all those songs. It is such an atmospherically dreamy sounding album. I wonder who decided to go that route rather than the more conventional Arsenal sound.

Last edited:
Used To Be A Sweet Boy sounds to me like a halfway-point monitor mix, like the versions of Billy Budd and Spring-Heeled Jim that leaked a few years ago. Once the basic tracks are laid down you make up a rough mix of everything you've got so you can decided if you want to go on with this recording or ditch it and start again. Pretty much everything on this version can be heard on the finished track - for example, the 2-note acoustic guitar riff that starts at 0:35 can be heard low and slightly off to the left of the finished mix at 0:38 - but under several layers of overdubs (guitar, vocals and percussion) and effects (delay and reverb).

A Swallow On My Neck reminds me of the UK mix of I'd Love To, being similarly dreamy. It was probably tried as an experiment but discarded in favour of the released version.

My ears agree with your assessments. Neither sounds like a complete, ready-as-is-for-release mix. If you listen closely during the middle eight of Swallow, you can vaguely hear Spencer's drum track underneath. In fact, first impression was that it was a bad "fan remix" hoax. And I don't know who had the idea to affix "Orchestral Version" to Used To Be a Sweet Boy - there is NOTHING orchestral about this mix! It's all guitar, vocals, and piano effects.

And perhaps someone with a big nose who knows will speak up, as I thought the alternate Swallow (AKA, "The Dennis Cockall Song") was reputed to be a rockier arrangement, a la the electric version of Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. You'll note, too, that the run time for the version that was supposed to be on the reference disc was listed at over four minutes on PJLM. This version is less than three.

It's always nice to hear alternate versions, but I think Morrissey and co. made the right choices on all these songs in their final released forms. Thanks to the original poster for sharing.

Thanks ;) and thanks for the sendspace link

- - - Updated - - -

Black-Eyed Susan - the only real difference I hear is the addition of the "One Day Soon.." vocals in the middle. The rest is basically the same as the released version.

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself is the same as the more recent version of this that was leaked, featuring the same clunky edit (around 2:18).

Interlude may be a similar early mix, using the harmonium as a guide backing (perhaps at Morrissey's suggestion, as a nod to Nico's Innocent And Vain, which he used in his intro tapes around this time), before overdubbing the strings on later. The vocals sound the same as the released version to me.

Thank you for this, I'm lazy ;)

So is this all the tracks from the aborted re-release series out now, or are we still missing a few? I've got completely lost in whats out and what isn't since Christmas.

My most sincere thanks to all the people who've been sharing lately, I hope they all realize how much their work is appreciated.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom