"Vauxhall And I" aborted re-release bonus tracks

An anonymous person writes:

I have a lot of morrissey's albums but I never listened to these versions:

http://www.filedropper.com/vai2004

please post it for everybody to download and listen. it's in a zip file.

thanks

Related item:

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (Electric)
Black-Eyed Susan (Alternate)
Used To Be A Sweet Boy (Orchestral)
Interlude (Harmonium Version)
Swallow On My Neck (Alternate)

vauxhall_reference.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do artists typically retain all the outtakes etc? For example the Beatles seem to have kept a load of outtakes for every song recorded - would Morrissey have the same kept somewhere?

I think Black-Eyed Susan is the most successful of these tracks (perhaps because I have never particularly rated it previously). It certainly has some differences instrumentally in the opening section and the weird middle section is then slightly more interesting than the released version.

I presume there is still another version out there somewhere which doesn't have all the weirdness though.

Thank you so much for sharing. This reminds me of how good this place used to be, back in the day. You know... when we all used to get along somewhat and the loonies stayed outside the doors.

Really like this version of "Used to be a Sweet Boy"

Thanks for this.

I just listened to my remastered Vauxhall vinyl, Sunny Single and V&I B sides last week and there is definitely a beautiful acoustic flutter through all those songs. It is such an atmospherically dreamy sounding album. I wonder who decided to go that route rather than the more conventional Arsenal sound.

Steve Lillywhite. In an interview (possibly shared here, too) he explained how he imagined the songs as paintings, with Morrissey's vocal in the centre and building everythign else around it.

So is this all the tracks from the aborted re-release series out now, or are we still missing a few? I've got completely lost in whats out and what isn't since Christmas.

My most sincere thanks to all the people who've been sharing lately, I hope they all realize how much their work is appreciated.

I believe the only unleaked tracks from the Rhino series are Get Off The Stage (alternate) - perhaps the most underwhelming outtake anticipated yet? -, Such a Little Thing...("Electric Demo"), and the full length version of There Speaks a True Friend.

I believe the only unleaked tracks from the Rhino series are Get Off The Stage (alternate) - perhaps the most underwhelming outtake anticipated yet? -, Such a Little Thing...("Electric Demo"), and the full length version of There Speaks a True Friend.

Viva Hate
Little Man, What Now (acoustic)
Hairdresser On Fire (early version)

Bona Drag
Get Off The Stage (alternate version)
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference (electric demo)

Your Arsenal
There Speaks A True Friend (alternate version)

Southpaw Grammar
Reader Meet Author (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
Dagenham Dave (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
Best Friend On The Payroll (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
You Must Please Remember (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)

Swallow is a new remix by Bill Inglot specifically for the reissue

Viva Hate
Little Man, What Now (acoustic)
Hairdresser On Fire (early version)

Bona Drag
Get Off The Stage (alternate version)
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference (electric demo)

Your Arsenal
There Speaks A True Friend (alternate version)

Southpaw Grammar
Reader Meet Author (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
Dagenham Dave (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
Best Friend On The Payroll (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)
You Must Please Remember (acoustic Miraval studio outtake)

Ah, yes, the Viva Hate outtakes, too. Thanks for the correction, IR.

I would agree with 2-J that the full-length version of There Speaks a True Friend is the most enticing of the remainder to me, with perhaps the early version of Hairdresser on Fire as a close second.

The first thing that springs to mind every time I see the words Get Off The Stage is the old review from Q or some such about it heralding the arrival of (paraphrasing) "Mark Nevin and his bastard accordion." Always makes me chuckle.

Ah, yes, the Viva Hate outtakes, too. Thanks for the correction, IR.

I would agree with 2-J that the full-length version of There Speaks a True Friend is the most enticing of the remainder to me, with perhaps the early version of Hairdresser on Fire as a close second.

The first thing that springs to mind every time I see the words Get Off The Stage is the old review from Q or some such about it heralding the arrival of (paraphrasing) "Mark Nevin and his bastard accordion." Always makes me chuckle.

Such A Little Thing... is one of my favourite solo tracks, so this demo is the one I am most interested in, that and the acoustic version of Little Man, What Now.

Much gratitude. I'm glad someone has not felt the need to hold on to the music on these fabled discs.
Appreciated.
FWD.
With all due respect to the original anon poster - a sendspace version for those stuck:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/lgg4ym

FWD, thanks for noticing. I posted the zip file there too, but had trouble getting the links to share. I'm glad everybody liked it. I couldn't believe it when I found those songs!

kisses

Swallow is a new remix by Bill Inglot specifically for the reissue

Thanks for that tidbit. Bill Inglot's mastering work has often been very good, which makes it disconcerting to hear such "so-so" results.

Interesting that they were creating new mixes for this release a la The Beatles Anthology. On a reissue, I feel it is kind of an artistically cheapened way of "creating a bonus track," especially when the original mix was just fine. And, given that there were other early versions and true alternate takes peppered throughout this re-release program, odd that they didn't opt for the earlier "Dennis Cockall" take. I wonder if Morrissey - assuming he had any control or input whatever - had reservations about remixes and that was part of the re-think in not moving forward with the releases.

Do artists typically retain all the outtakes etc? For example the Beatles seem to have kept a load of outtakes for every song recorded - would Morrissey have the same kept somewhere?

Good question. On that note, I was wondering what does Morrissey do with all the letters and gifts he received over the 3 decades from fans.

It'd blow my skirts anyday :blushing:

What's not to love?
Moz goes Cajun & 'You silly old man / in your misguided trousers / with yer mascara / and yer friendly guitar / so you think you can arouse us?'

I'm hoping for an extended accordion solo and extra Suggs ;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom