"Vauxhall And I" aborted re-release bonus tracks

An anonymous person writes:

I have a lot of morrissey's albums but I never listened to these versions:

http://www.filedropper.com/vai2004

please post it for everybody to download and listen. it's in a zip file.

thanks

Related item:

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (Electric)
Black-Eyed Susan (Alternate)
Used To Be A Sweet Boy (Orchestral)
Interlude (Harmonium Version)
Swallow On My Neck (Alternate)

vauxhall_reference.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that tidbit. Bill Inglot's mastering work has often been very good, which makes it disconcerting to hear such "so-so" results.

Interesting that they were creating new mixes for this release a la The Beatles Anthology. On a reissue, I feel it is kind of an artistically cheapened way of "creating a bonus track," especially when the original mix was just fine. And, given that there were other early versions and true alternate takes peppered throughout this re-release program, odd that they didn't opt for the earlier "Dennis Cockall" take. I wonder if Morrissey - assuming he had any control or input whatever - had reservations about remixes and that was part of the re-think in not moving forward with the releases.

Was Bill Inglot involved in the recent Smiths remastering but then he got dropped. I say this because he is thanked in the sleeve notes somewhere and Frank Arkwright intimated as much:-

http://entertainment.ie/music/feature/The-Sound-of-The-Smiths/201/61.htm

It'd blow my skirts anyday :blushing:

What's not to love?
Moz goes Cajun & 'You silly old man / in your misguided trousers / with yer mascara / and yer friendly guitar / so you think you can arouse us?'

I'm hoping for an extended accordion solo and extra Suggs ;)

Fender guitar, surely?

Swallow is a new remix by Bill Inglot specifically for the reissue

That is really interesting information. And a bit sad at the same time. Given that there are som many "proper" unreleased versions and songs out there it seems quite a waste to create "new" extra tracks for the re-issues. And then to bin them at that.... well....

Swallow is a new remix by Bill Inglot specifically for the reissue
And just how would you know that and how does anyone know shite-all about what these were intended for? Yhey look to me lok pass-around discs of odds and sods. If these were ever going to have been issued in this form there would be record company catalog numbers on them.

What's not to love?
Moz goes Cajun & 'You silly old man / in your misguided trousers / with yer mascara / and yer friendly guitar / so you think you can arouse us?'

"Fender guitar" surely?

Thanks for that tidbit. Bill Inglot's mastering work has often been very good, which makes it disconcerting to hear such "so-so" results.

Interesting that they were creating new mixes for this release a la The Beatles Anthology. On a reissue, I feel it is kind of an artistically cheapened way of "creating a bonus track," especially when the original mix was just fine. And, given that there were other early versions and true alternate takes peppered throughout this re-release program, odd that they didn't opt for the earlier "Dennis Cockall" take. I wonder if Morrissey - assuming he had any control or input whatever - had reservations about remixes and that was part of the re-think in not moving forward with the releases.

Wasn't Bill Inglot initially involved in the remastering of the Smiths tracks and then replaced by Frank Arkwright? I say that as I believe Inglot is thanked in the sleeve notes for the "Sound Of The Smiths" and also Arkwright's comments as to how he came to be involved with Johnny Marr on "Complete":-

http://entertainment.ie/music/feature/The-Sound-of-The-Smiths/201/61.htm

- - - Updated - - -

What's not to love?

"Fender guitar", surely?

"Fender guitar", surely?

Yeah, you're probably right, but for about 20 years i always heard it, and loved it, as "friendly guitar".
Always made me chuckle, sadly.
"Fender" less so.
Don't think i've ever seen it quoted as such in any officially sanctioned lyric sheet, so, if you don't mind, i'll carry on with "friendly" :)

One of those handful of instances where i prefer the lie to the truth.
Another key one being in "Sweetie-Pie" where he sings "Sweetie-pie / I'm ending my life / Because I've fallen in love / And enough is enough".
I forever heard it as "And nothing's enough".
That line killed me. Whereas "enough" did not.
Queer.

These are a sweet find, thanks. The beautiful background vocals on "Used to Be a Sweet Boy" are undoubtedly KIRSTY MacCOLL. Beloved and much missed. They sound like the same vocals used on the final version, but are much more prominent in this mix.

I've been told by Boz Boorer that there is no orchestra on 'Used To Be A Sweet Boy' track, and that the backing vocals are not Kirsty MacColl's but Alain Whyte's

Yeah, you're probably right, but for about 20 years i always heard it, and loved it, as "friendly guitar".
Always made me chuckle, sadly.
"Fender" less so.
Don't think i've ever seen it quoted as such in any officially sanctioned lyric sheet, so, if you don't mind, i'll carry on with "friendly" :)

One of those handful of instances where i prefer the lie to the truth.
Another key one being in "Sweetie-Pie" where he sings "Sweetie-pie / I'm ending my life / Because I've fallen in love / And enough is enough".
I forever heard it as "And nothing's enough".
That line killed me. Whereas "enough" did not.
Queer.

When I first heard the song I thought it was about Robert Smith.

Mascara, Fender guitar...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom