Wanted: Original Silver CDs

robert

Same old suit since 1962
Hey all,
I'm looking for the following pressed CDs. Please let me know by PM if you have a spare and how much you want. Thanks!

Smiths - A Nice Bit of Meat
Smiths - Unruly Boys
Morrissey - Glastonbury 2004
Morrissey - You Can Never Go Home

robert said:
Hey all,
I'm looking for the following pressed CDs. Please let me know by PM if you have a spare and how much you want. Thanks!

Smiths - A Nice Bit of Meat
Smiths - Unruly Boys
Morrissey - You Can Never Go Home

this one isnt a pressed cd. its a mass produced cd-r with thermal printing on the label side.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll scratch that one off the list.

Does anyone know: I have a silver CD: Smiths - Ultimate Rarities Vol 2, which is silver....is there a volume 1 that goes with it?

I always thought Nice Bit of Meat wasn't a factory pressed CD? I could be wrong.

I've been looking for Unruly Boys for some time. Seems difficult to locate. If I find a source or any of the others on my travels I'll let you know.

blameless said:
I always thought Nice Bit of Meat wasn't a factory pressed CD? I could be wrong.

I have it on vinyl and it is factory pressed, the cd version should be as well.

I believe the Nice Bit Of Meat cd came out much later than the vinyl. I would suspect that the cd source might be the original vinyl, but I'm not sure. The vinyl has been "repressed" more than once. I've seen ones with paste-on sleeves, and with traditional sleeves. The cd and vinyl have different tracklistings, the vinyl having BBC tracks which ended up being b-sides to Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I do have the vinyl version but have never actually seen a 'factory pressed' version of the CD. Can anyone help verify that it is?

also have the vinyl

Every CD on ebay has been a CDR
dont think it was ever on factory bootleg

There was a pressed version on eBay about 2 years ago. It went for a lot...close to $200. I believe it originated from Japan, and as mentioned, features a different tracklist from the vinyl boot. But yes, the current one on eBay is a CD-R rip of the vinyl...so beware if you're on the lookout.

Thanks for the info Robert, guess that's one to keep searching for.

Anyone interested in helping to compile a definitive list of "proper" factory pressed boots? It's getting much harder to tell these days but I reckon between us we could sort the CDR's from the CD's! I'm happy to put a webpage together with the info on if it would be helpful.

When I say "cd" I mean a real factory pressed cd and not a cd-r.

Stephane's "Passions Just Like Mine" has a rather exhaustive bootleg section, and he notes what was and wasn't factory pressed.

Thanks Beau,

There are quite a few listed on Stephane's site that aren't 'factory pressed' and there's no mention of them being CDR's. 1983 NINETY EIGHTY THREE & MY FAVOURITE MOTORWAY SERVICES for example.

I think I'm right in saying these are both fanmade?

Thanks Beau,

There are quite a few listed on Stephane's site that aren't 'factory pressed' and there's no mention of them being CDR's. 1983 NINETY EIGHTY THREE & MY FAVOURITE MOTORWAY SERVICES for example.

I think I'm right in saying these are both fanmade?

im pretty sure those are fan made cd-r's. i used to collect factory pressed bootleg cd's about 4 years ago. i never came across these two and i pretty much had all of them.

i think people stopped pressing smiths/morrissey bootlegs around 97-98, just about the time cd-r's started becoming mainstream. i think the latest bootleg cd pressing is "green energy" and "poets justice".

i dont think people will go through all the trouble to press bootlegs anymore since cd-r's are so much easier to make. i used to make a lot of cd-r bootlegs back in the day under the label "BRP Records". i get a kick out of seeing these on ebay and even in some local record shops!

There have been silver pressed CD's made in recent years.I have Morrissey 'You Can Never Go Home ' recorded live at the Apollo,May 6,2004 and released in 2004.Also The Smiths 'Rarities,B-Sides & The Beeb'.This double CD includes a BBC documentary from 1992 which the info on the CD claims was never broadcast .This CD was released in 2001

Thanks for the additional info.I think Battersea is right about those two boots, I think they're the last 'proper' pressed CD's (been some nice new vinyl boots recently though).

The 'unbroadcast' info is incorrect on the B-sides boot. It was broadcast a good few years ago on Radio 1. I taped it on DAT (that shows how long ago it was :)

fgraciano1980 - I remember your cdr boots well, had some great covers too which is probably why they get advertised as proper boots. I'm still tempted to put a website together solely for the 'proper' boots. It's frustrating chasing stuff on ebay etc only to find it's a CDR!

Back
Top Bottom