Was Morrissey in love with Johnny Marr?

View attachment 54707

Silly putty.
But good excuse anyway to post this photograph, snapped 33 years ago TO-NIGHT, in the Cathedral Club, Christchurch, Dublin at RTE's 'Megamix' TV taping.
Perhaps one of the last candids captured of M&J...
Posted on twitter by the girl wot shot it ~ Colette Mcgee.
Thank You ?

Now that would make a great cover for a Smiths release! :thumb: Or at least an inner sleeve photo.

Reissue repackage... then I wouldn’t mind.

:)

There was a lot of love between them. But in love? Who knows. Possible. Who could blame Moz if he had been in love with Johnny? Johnny’s an amazing guy.

Johnny joined Supergrass on stage last night at Victoria Warehouse, which is fast turning into to be the to play in Manchester. It holds 3500 all standing so creates a great atmosphere.

Source for the admitting that angel is about Marr?
Admittedly, it still says 'source needed', but from Passions Just Like Mine:
In an interview published in 1992 (source needed), Morrissey said: "It was written with Johnny Marr in mind and it is the only song that I have written with him in mind, post Smiths. I saw him in the music industry being used and being pushed around and being manipulated and I felt I was in a situation and I thought, 'Look at me, look at you - it's the same, it's a mess and this is as far as we will go' which wasn't quite true in the end but at that moment it felt pretty despairing for both, I felt despairing for both of us but I was wrong."

It's a good story regardless of the truth of it. And at least it's not Politics.

In an interview published in 1992 (source needed), Morrissey said: "It was written with Johnny Marr in mind and it is the only song that I have written with him in mind, post Smiths. I saw him in the music industry being used and being pushed around and being manipulated and I felt I was in a situation and I thought, 'Look at me, look at you - it's the same, it's a mess and this is as far as we will go' which wasn't quite true in the end but at that moment it felt pretty despairing for both, I felt despairing for both of us but I was wrong."

This statement from Morrissey was quoted in the November 2002 issue of Mojo in an article about the recording of Viva Hate.

Recent Mojo article on the making of Viva Hate.
Morrissey quotes taken from interviews in Melody Maker, Sounds and The Face 1988, 1990 and 1992.

Tags
marr morriseey the smiths
Back
Top Bottom