What are the odds? Will Moz get a new record deal?

He will NEVER retire , in spite of what he keeps saying. He needs the love of his fans as much as we do need his music. Very simple. He wont retire, he wont..not in a million years.
Cheers Moz

I would love to see the survey you have carried out that enables you to state so categorically that MOST PEOPLE don't care about other people. For every murderer out there, there are hundreds of thousands of people who care about their wives, husbands, children, boyfriends, girlfriends, friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. Except for Morrissey apparently (another opinion you have formed from your meticulous research, I imagine) - he only cares about chickens and cows.

I don't think Morrissey is selfish. Singing introspective songs is not the same thing as being selfish.

I love my family and I love my girlfriend, pal. I can't believe you misundertood me. I don't wanna understand me, Amy.

I think you're wrong about this, Amy. Morrissey has talked about imminent retirement since his early 30s but he's never come close to carrying it out.
Furthermore, he's been more active (in times of concerts, albums, new material etc) in the last 6 years that at any time since the Smiths.
He is super-keen to keep going, and to write and perform new songs, to the point where he now has an album's worth of new songs ready despite no deal.
There's no definite word about a release date for his autobiography but, even if it does come out in the next 12 months, there's no real reason why that would mark the end of his songwriting days.

I think you're wrong about this, Amy. Morrissey has talked about imminent retirement since his early 30s but he's never come close to carrying it out.
Furthermore, he's been more active (in times of concerts, albums, new material etc) in the last 6 years that at any time since the Smiths.
He is super-keen to keep going, and to write and perform new songs, to the point where he now has an album's worth of new songs ready despite no deal.
There's no definite word about a release date for his autobiography but, even if it does come out in the next 12 months, there's no real reason why that would mark the end of his songwriting days.

Ok, let me put it this way - you know as well as I do that sales for his last few albums have gotten progressively worse. If no major label deal is forthcoming and Morrissey is forced to choose between signing to a small indie label and retirement, I think (out of sheer pride), he would choose retirement. It wouldn't make logical sense for him to publish an autobiography if there were 'chapters' still be added, i.e. his writing career wasn't over. I don't think that would spell the end of his touring - he loves the fans and the live audience too much - but as far as writing and recording new material, I think this new unreleased album will be his parting shot. I hope I'm wrong!

If his auto-biography is released this year then the odds that he will get a record deal will be increased exponentially. And I hope upon hope that it is published and that it won't be another let down...

Ok, let me put it this way - you know as well as I do that sales for his last few albums have gotten progressively worse. If no major label deal is forthcoming and Morrissey is forced to choose between signing to a small indie label and retirement, I think (out of sheer pride), he would choose retirement. It wouldn't make logical sense for him to publish an autobiography if there were 'chapters' still be added, i.e. his writing career wasn't over. I don't think that would spell the end of his touring - he loves the fans and the live audience too much - but as far as writing and recording new material, I think this new unreleased album will be his parting shot. I hope I'm wrong!

Ok, so there's a chance that the humilation of having to sign to a small label may force him to retire but that's the only reason why he would. The last 10 years have arguably been his most active ever (in terms of touring and recording) so it's not as if he's winding down (like David Bowie for example).
If he and J Marr find themselves in a similar position this year with only being able to release albums on tiny labels to small audiences, I'm sure they will both think longer and harder than they've ever done before about re-collaborating, especially when they see the Stone Roses (a band of broadly similar status) playing to 250,000 people in a Manchester stadium, headlining festivals across the land, and signing lucrative worldwide record contracts. Even if a new Morrissey and Marr album is third rate, the curiosity factor alone will guarantee it massively higher sales than either can manage by themselves.
One way or another, I'm pretty certain we'll have a new album of Morrissey-sung songs on our hands by the end of the year.
Also, I don't think he would tour without new songs - he's never wanted to be a nostalgia act. The only time he's done that (1999-2000) was when he was searching for a record deal and didn't want record companies judging his new songs without committing to a signing.

Last edited:
Ok, so there's a chance that the humilation of having to sign to a small label may force him to retire but that's the only reason why he would. The last 10 years have arguably been his most active ever (in terms of touring and recording) so it's not as if he's winding down (like David Bowie for example).
If he and J Marr find themselves in a similar position this year with only being able to release albums on tiny labels to small audiences, I'm sure they will both think longer and harder than they've ever done before about re-collaborating, especially when they see the Stone Roses (a band of broadly similar status) playing to 250,000 people in a Manchester stadium, headlining festivals across the land, and signing lucrative worldwide record contracts. Even if a new Morrissey and Marr album is third rate, the curiousity factor alone will guarantee it massively higher sales than either can manage by themselves.
One way or another, I'm pretty certain we'll have a new album of Morrissey-sung songs on our hands by the end of the year.
Also, I don't think he would tour without new songs - he's never wanted to be a nostalgia act. The only time he's done that (1999-2000) was when he was searching for a record deal and didn't want record companies judging his new songs without committing to a signing.

Morrissey and Marr, writing new songs together.....I'm salivating at the mere thought of it. I think we'll have to see how Marr's new Healers incarnation fares first, though, and if he can swallow his pride. The reception of Boomslang was so bad that he shelved the project entirely!

Hey! If he gets a deal we have to celebrate big!! cause then there is hope in this not so sophisticated times as moz himself said in som interview (regarding american idol crap)

BR
AB

Re: The Record Deal

Thinking about it....in order to have a record deal of any success....One must make a deal with the devil......Well, looking at Morrissey's history...he most likely had.....and may have declined to continue....and now he is searching

My guess is the deal is already done and there will be a release soon after December to coincide with the autobiography (after the court case). I remember the last time when he was touting new songs live (in the hope of getting a deal) suddenly he stopped playing them live and then subsequently we discovered he had just finally secured a deal to record those songs. He has again recently reduced the amount of new songs he plays live.

My guess is the deal is already done and there will be a release soon after December to coincide with the autobiography (after the court case).
That would be a good marketing move, indeed.
Besides, an autobiography doesn't necessarily signal the end of a career. See Damien Hirst, who published his autobiography in 1996. Or even Bob Dylan with Chronicles.

My guess is the deal is already done and there will be a release soon after December to coincide with the autobiography (after the court case). I remember the last time when he was touting new songs live (in the hope of getting a deal) suddenly he stopped playing them live and then subsequently we discovered he had just finally secured a deal to record those songs. He has again recently reduced the amount of new songs he plays live.
That would be a wonderful way to start 2013 (with both a new Morrissey autobiography and album), assuming the world hasn't ended by then! ;)

That would be a good marketing move, indeed.
Besides, an autobiography doesn't necessarily signal the end of a career. See Damien Hirst, who published his autobiography in 1996. Or even Bob Dylan with Chronicles.

I just get the feeling that it's not the same with Morrissey. Something about this means "the final word" to me. I mean, who honestly thought Bob Dylan would ever retire, especially then?

I just get the feeling that it's not the same with Morrissey.
I tried myself to find arguments against this feeling.
So far the most important argument are the songs. Not one, but two unreleased albums. Who keeps writing new songs with the only hope that a big label will come and release them, and if not, all the work will be thrown away? Nobody does it.

I tried myself to find arguments against this feeling.
So far the most important argument are the songs. Not one, but two unreleased albums. Who keeps writing new songs with the only hope that a big label will come and release them, and if not, all the work will be thrown away? Nobody does it.

Well, I mean, what else is he going to do? He apparently has no other interests.

Back
Top Bottom