What music do/did your parents listen to?

And did it have any influence on your musical tastes?

My mother has an encyclopedic knowledge of 60s pop. Her favorite bands were British Invasion groups (The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, etc.) riding on the Beatles' coattails. Oddly, she never cared for the Beatles themselves. In the early 80s, she got into Prince somehow, and Prince became the first artist that I really got into.

My dad listened to late 60s/early 70s FM radio, which I guess could be considered the alternative music of the time--Three Dog Night, Johnny Winters, Jeff Beck, Cream, etc. He was also very partial to the blues. When I was a teenager, he went through a reggae phase. Also, like my mom, he never cared for the Beatles, which made it a bit strange that I got into them so strongly as a teenager.

My dad's tastes nowadays are more along the lines of right-wing talk radio :head-smack:, whereas my mom listens to Celine Dion. :barf: I fear for my future.

Your turn.

My Dad listened exclusively to Irish folk music...and my Mum was a big time Abba fan...their musical tastes had no effect on me whatsoever!

"Sup pa pa....troop pa pa!" :rolleyes:

Love Alma xxx

:lbf: My dad likes ABBA and mum likes Celine Dion and Queen!:confused:

Omega. Never heard of them? It was a Hungarian rock band, most successful in the 1960s-70s.

1978_Omega_lemez.jpg

And all the pop music of the 1970s and 80s. I got my first record player for my 6th birthday and my dad made a great mix tape for me, those songs are still my favourites (Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Flashdance soundtrack etc.).

These days my parents listen to the radio. I keep on trying to educate them musically, I regularly buy cds for my dad, and some real good ones: I got him a Falco Best Of (because we all loved Falco in the 80s) and Leonard Cohen songs in Hungarian for last Xmas. He never listened to either of them. :rolleyes:

Omega. Never heard of them? It was a Hungarian rock band, most successful in the 1960s-70s.

1978_Omega_lemez.jpg

And all the pop music of the 1970s and 80s. I got my first record player for my 6th birthday and my dad made a great mix tape for me, those songs are still my favourites (Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Flashdance soundtrack etc.).

These days my parents listen to the radio. I keep on trying to educate them musically, I regularly buy cds for my dad, and some real good ones: I got him a Falco Best Of (because we all loved Falco in the 80s) and Leonard Cohen songs in Hungarian for last Xmas. He never listened to either of them. :rolleyes:
:lbf::eek:

Blimey.:straightface:

Jesus music.

found Rock 'n Roll all by myself. no influences from parents or older siblings. I was just THAT cool. :rolleyes:

edit: it was kinda like this song, cept change "Jenny" to "Nugz" and change " 5 years old" to "13 years old" and change "new york station" to "philadelphia station." :thumb:

Jenny said when she was just five years old
There was nothing happening at all
Every time she puts on a radio
There was a nothin goin down at all, not at all
Then one fine mornin she puts on a new york station
You know, she couldnt believe what she heard at all
She started dancin to that fine fine music
You know her life was saved by rock n roll
Despite all the amputations you know you could just go out
And dance to a rock n roll station

Last edited:
I remember three 8 track cassettes we had. They were my mom's. My dad doesn't listen to music.

Kris Kristofferson
John Denver
Simon and Garfunkel

Awwwww yeah!

My Dad listened exclusively to Irish folk music...and my Mum was a big time Abba fan...their musical tastes had no effect on me whatsoever!

"Sup pa pa....troop pa pa!" :rolleyes:

I like that combination a lot. :thumb:

:lbf: My dad likes ABBA and mum likes Celine Dion and Queen!:confused:

I love ABBA. My mom preferred the Village People.

. I was just THAT cool. :rolleyes:

I believe it. :cool:

My parents listened to al British 60s pop. They also like traditional Scottish folk/country music, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Runrig (anyone else know them ?)

Now they enjoy The X factor on Saturday nights, their coolness is in decline.:lbf:

I remember as a child Barry Manilow figured quite highly.To this day I can't help liking Copacobanna.

My mum's favourite music consists Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, Cliff Richard. She also liked Kiss and David Bowie when she was growing up. First gig she went to was the Hollies.

Dad's into Scottish pipe bands, he also like 50's and 60's tunes from what I've been told, I don't think he's that into music. The first gig he ever went to was Bill Haley & the Comets :eek:.

Both like Queen and Abba :lbf:.

my mother had a lot of stuff that i listened to and still really like to this day.

dylan
zeppelin
the beatles
motorhead
ac/dc
queen
the who

my mother had a lot of stuff that i listened to and still really like to this day.

dylan
zeppelin
the beatles
motorhead
ac/dc
queen
the who

Niiiiiiice! :cool:

When my Dad told me he saw The Beatles in May 1963 at the Slough Granada (now a bingo hall) I said "Wow Dad...what were they like?" he said "Not nearly as good as The Dubliners!" :rolleyes:

dubliners.jpg

Love Alma xxx

Back
Top Bottom