What was the first album you ever bought ? Bonus: Has it stood the test of time, your time ?

I don't remember. My earliest records were lifted from my brother's bedroom: Adam Ant, Talking Heads, The Police. I also remember having a dubbed copy of Off The Wall that I was obsessed with, and of course there was a copy of Thriller in the house (there was a copy in everyone's house). If I had to guess, I think the first album I asked my mother to buy for me was probably Purple Rain. I have no idea what the first thing I bought with my own money was. Faith, maybe? (Uh, the George Michael album…not the Cure. That didn't come until later.)

I'm still into the same music I've liked since I was very young, which is undoubtedly due to having a music-obsessed brother 10 years older than me.

Hard to recall.....I too had older brothers who influenced me. I remember watching "Dead Man's Curve" and being obsessed with Jan & Dean as a kid.....me and my friend Alex would sing their songs on the playground.

I remember buying Shaun Cassidy's single "Da Doo Ron Ron" back in the day :squiffy:......first album/cassette was I think "Million Mile Reflections" by The Charlie Daniels Band just because it had "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" on it.......but soon after that it was total 180 as my brother got me into The Police and I bought "Zenyatta Mondatta" on cassette.

After that I was all over the map.....was a HUGE Adam & The Ants fan after I saw them and their double drummers on "American Bandstand".......The Pretenders from watching the videos on "America's Top 10" with Casey Kasem....

First single was "Hey Deanie" By Shaun Cassidy. For my My first album I went halfsies with my sister to buy Billy Joel's The Stranger which has stood the test of time: Movin' Out, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Only The Good Die Young.

The Eminem Show when I was about 12, when I thought I could become a rapper from the mean streets of suburban Hull.

Rick Springfield, Celebrate Youth. I was 12 and loved his hairstyle. And no, the record did not stand the test of time.

musics always been a part of my life as my father was obsessed but the first album that i went out and bought myself would be soul asylums grave dancers union and yes it hold up.

My first album was Kings Of The Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants - I'm including this because I was desperate to have it and my uncle did the good thing and bought it for me. Of course it's incredibly dated but I still think it's good.

The first album I went out and bought was Spirits in the Machine by The Police. I can't remember what I went out to buy, I was very young and just as impressionable and ended up going home with this after much debate in the record shop. The last time I listened to it was probably a month after I bought it so I'm not sure if it stood the test of time.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack on cassette is the first thing I can remember seeking out with my own money.

As far as “real” albums go that stood the test of time, I bought R.E.M. “Out Of Time” in 1991 which led me to Nirvana, which led me to punk rock, which led me here.....

Californication.

When I was in fifth grade a friend gave me a mix CD which contained the title track and I fell in love with it. I begged my mom to take me to the mall so I could buy the album it was from. Eventually she relented. Upon reflection, I'm not really sure what my mother's thought process was when she let me buy a CD with "fornication" in the title, but I'm glad she did. It was one of the key moments in my development as a music fan, and hearing John Frusciante play guitar was a major factor in my decision to pick up the instrument myself. Nearly 14 years later, I still play guitar every day...though I can't say I'm still a Chili Peppers fan.

Last edited:
cool, im a john fan as well. those three albums he did after he got clean are pretty aweesome and his hendrix love is all over the place. sometimes its a copy.

jan and deans show was pretty cool as well. i remember watching james brown on it, im not a fan, and people just flipping out

I'm another disciple of the school of the older brother.
My bro introduced me to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Depeche Mode, The Cure to name but a few.

As for myself....

Appetite For Destruction & Nevermind were the earliest purchases I can remember, and still love them all these years later!

With my own money, Nirvana Incesticide cassette as soon as it was released. Everyone else had Nevermind, and I saw this beauty on the shelf and wanted to be different...

My very first vinyl was probably Police - Message in a bottle.Played it to death.
The very first CD I bought was New Order - Technique.Excellent stuff,a real showcase of the digital era

With my own money, Nirvana Incesticide cassette as soon as it was released. Everyone else had Nevermind, and I saw this beauty on the shelf and wanted to be different...

you cant go wrong with any nirvana purchase. i loved the rerelease of bleach out not long ago

you cant go wrong with any nirvana purchase. i loved the rerelease of bleach out not long ago

In Utero Deluxe Set was also a lovely release.

The live show in the Bleach reissue is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom