Why Anthrax’s Scott Ian absolutely hates Morrissey’s “Suedehead” - A.V. Club

3987-cool-story-bro.jpg

Anthrax? please :rolleyes:

A few years ago I saw Anthrax open up for Iron Maiden and I wasnt impressed. I have to tolerate them again just to see Maiden in Sept for Battle of the Bands. This guy wishes he was as talented as Morrissey. He's just jealous.

Well, that's his opinion, I don't think there's nothing wrong with that, he was quite respectful to him so fair enough. I disagree, obviously, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

I've never knew about this cover. It's not bad, pretty straight forward take musically. The vocals, however are unlistenable in my estimation...sorry! Ha!

I've never understood how people can have such an aversion to Morrissey's voice. For the longest time i couldn't understand how Morrissey wasn't everyone's favorite singer:blushing:

The other day I gave a coworker a ride home and she asked me to change the music because she couldn't stand "that man's voice" Really?? Next time take a cab, bitch! :p

:lbf: :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

Never trust anyone who doesn't like Morrissey.

Yeah, musical taste is synonymous with moral character. :rolleyes:

You know what singer's voice creeps me out? Dido. Nothing against her. It just sounds morose. Joe Jackson's voice, however, is so infectious that even the goofiest lyrix are sing-alongable: "No, not love she said / Don't you know that it's different for girls?" But seriously, how can anyone find a problem with Morrissey's voice? That's silly. But it reminds me of something Moz said about voices. He said something along the lines of people with ugly voices are wretched. Something like that.

Dude, it's "Euston," not "Houston." And he sounds like he's trying to sound like he's from there. Never knew about that cover, so thanks.

Anyway, totally understandable. I feel the same way about certain voices: Delores O'Riordan, Billy Corgan, and, sadly, Joe Jackson.

Fair enough. A lot of people feel the way he does. Morrissey's voice is distinctive and different, some people will hate it over the same things that make other people love it.

A few years ago I saw Anthrax open up for Iron Maiden and I wasnt impressed. I have to tolerate them again just to see Maiden in Sept for Battle of the Bands. This guy wishes he was as talented as Morrissey. He's just jealous.

Oh, don't be silly. 'He's just jealous" is the king of feeble evasions.

hmmm..When me &my sis saw Morrissey at Coachella she said he`s one of a very artists who sound the same live as they sound on their records.I personally love his voice.I think he gets better and better.I think there is something about the voice matching the words.It`s pure emotion.I think that`s the way music should be.I think he has a beautiful voice.

I like people who just say they don't like him 'cause of his voice. Usually you have to put up with people going on about his music being depressing and other such horseshit spouted by people who've never actually listened to any records 'cause they don't like his voice. Just be honest!

I think The Smiths would have been truly huge if Moz had had a more conventional sound to his voice but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Dude, it's "Euston," not "Houston." And he sounds like he's trying to sound like he's from there. Never knew about that cover, so thanks.

Anyway, totally understandable. I feel the same way about certain voices: Delores O'Riordan, Billy Corgan, and, sadly, Joe Jackson.

I completely agree on the Joe Jackson point, I have the exact same aversion.
My other cringe worthy singers are Mark King, (Level 42), because he reminds me of Joe Jackson for some reason,
and we even know two members of that band personally..one of them phones our house from time to time, I just don't like their music, so I can't pretend to be impressed when he phones, he's just one my husband's mates to me!
Jethro Tull, the voice of the lead singer and the I-gotta-piss poses he struck whilst being the Prog Rock flautist with bug eyes. There are loads, really. More music than not makes me "reach for the device from which it is emanating"!
But, the second I hear Moz, I'm in sheer heaven.
Oh well, to each his own.

I think The Smiths would have been truly huge if Moz had had a more conventional sound to his voice but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

An interesting view, but it's so hard to imagine the Smiths without Morrissey's voice. Sandie Shaw's covers were the closest we came, and they hardly set the world on fire. The hundreds of Smiths covers are rarely worth the studio time. Even the very best of them by truly creative artists such as Radiohead's version of The Headmaster Ritual don't come close to capturing Morrissey in his pomp, and Thom Yorke is no slouch.

The legend of the Smiths is built in no small part by the "what if?" With the Beatles you could hear them coming to an end by listening to Abbey Road and Let It Be, and the first solo releases by Lennon and McCartney revealed just how far they had drifted apart musically, let alone personally. They were finished with the sixties.

Strangeways was such a masterpiece, and the first two Morrissey solo singles, their sensational b-sides and Viva Hate were so lyrically remarkable I still long to hear what Marr might have provided to lay those words upon. What would the Smiths' fifth album have given us? By Your Arsenal Morrissey had the world at his feet commercially, and as we know it slipped through his fingers, as he moved from writing partner to writing partner.

What the Smiths could have become will remain a rock and roll what if up there with Buddy Holly or Jimi Hendrix. In music terms it was a tragedy.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is just better to shut the f*** up. Anthrax?? Their music has the same effect to me like the so named disease!! Greets from Moenchengladbach :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom