Would you want Moz to release proper studio versions of Action, People and Looker?

Studio versions?

• Total voters

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
Sure, they've been released as studio sessions and in the studio as bonus content for 25Live, but would you want proper, polished studio versions to appear at any point, whether as b-sides or on a future compilation release? I would.

Not really. They're not "new" songs anymore, and they wouldn't sound much different at all from the Visconti session.

well you never know where something will go when its being recorded but no not really. im not a big fan of these songs honestly and find them ok at best. they seem like be side material to me. if they were released id get them and enjoy them but it wouldnt go very far or mean that much to me i dont think. action i thought was the best of the three imo. i feel like every song on world peace easily surpassed them. if they did get recorded idt be neat i guess to see if the new guy would add anything

I would rather that "People Are The Same Everywhere" and "The Kid Is a Looker" were eradicated from the public consciousness forevermore. I think they are both quite appalling.

If I were to lament a song that never had its day, it would be "I'm Playing Easy To Get" - one of the laugh-out-loud witty songs of his 21st century oeuvre.

Action Is My Middle Name and I'm Playing Easy To Get (and Noise Is The Best Revenge) all definitely need studio versions.

I'm not that fussed about People and Looker.

yeah i echo detritus saying action is the best of the bunch. im wondering when hell release or playn one of the songs i think hes sitting on. maybe well get a christmas single or something such

'People Are The Same' and 'The Kid's A Looker' are officially the two worst songs Morrissey has ever sung.
That's from the poll carried out round here of all his 280 songs where thousands of votes were cast. 'People' came second last, 'Kid' came last.
It's pretty amazing that the two worst songs he's ever sung arrived in the same session.
What was going through Morrissey's and the band's head when they thought these songs were fit for human consumption remains one of the great mysteries of the modern era.

I said it at the time, but the only positive that came about when he premiered The Kid's a Looker in 2011 is that it meant that One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell is no longer the worst song he's ever done.

'People Are The Same' and 'The Kid's A Looker' are officially the two worst songs Morrissey has ever sung.
That's from the poll carried out round here of all his 280 songs where thousands of votes were cast. 'People' came second last, 'Kid' came last.
It's pretty amazing that the two worst songs he's ever sung arrived in the same session.
What was going through Morrissey's and the band's head when they thought these songs were fit for human consumption remains one of the great mysteries of the modern era.

that whole period with Visconti produced some of his worst material and album

that whole period with Visconti produced some of his worst material and album

Let's be fair: the "Studio In Session" filming with Visconti occurred about two months after the songs had been premiered on Janice Long's radio show. He was left to apply lipstick on a pig ("Action Is My Middle Name" excepted) since Morrissey didn't have a producer at the time in the wake of Jerry Finn's death. The real problem is that the songs seemed like nothing so much as B-sides or outtakes from Years of Refusal. Even the full studio version of "Scandinavia" on World Peace Is None of Your Business added little of significance to the mix.

I agree that portions of Ringleader of the Tormentors were patchy, but I can't lump "Dear God Please Help Me," "Life is a Pigsty," "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now," or even "Christian Dior" together with the 2011 excreta.

Let's be fair: the "Studio In Session" filming with Visconti occurred about two months after the songs had been premiered on Janice Long's radio show. He was left to apply lipstick on a pig ("Action Is My Middle Name" excepted) since Morrissey didn't have a producer at the time in the wake of Jerry Finn's death. The real problem is that the songs seemed like nothing so much as B-sides or outtakes from Years of Refusal. Even the full studio version of "Scandinavia" on World Peace Is None of Your Business added little of significance to the mix.

I agree that portions of Ringleader of the Tormentors were patchy, but I can't lump "Dear God Please Help Me," "Life is a Pigsty," "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now," or even "Christian Dior" together with the 2011 excreta.

i really really dislike tormentors production and dont find almost any redeeming qualities about it as an album. i find it kinda trite and bland with poor production all around. same with the world peace bsides, i didnt like any really and found some of the production sounds very iffy. refusal i dont find nearly as bad as tormentors and rate it over tormentors southpaw and kill uncle in both production and song quality. best thing about it was the fantastic cover. ive liked many of finns records though throughout the years going way way back. he was great

I remember when those songs were first broadcast on radio (Janice Long session, I think?) At the time I was with a group of like-minded Moz disciples, we all gathered round with glee to hear the new songs - then looked at each other afterwards in stunned disbelief at how crap they were. Definitely a low point.

I remember when those songs were first broadcast on radio (Janice Long session, I think?) At the time I was with a group of like-minded Moz disciples, we all gathered round with glee to hear the new songs - then looked at each other afterwards in stunned disbelief at how crap they were. Definitely a low point.

Exactly how I felt. I remember jumping on YouTube the morning after their premier and thinking it was the end. No alain now, just awful shite like that.

Happy to admit I was wrong, I loved WPINOYB.

Art Hounds and Scandinavia eventually saw studio recordings in the World Peace sessions and they were also promoted alongside the other three during their live debuts in 2011, although not as heavily. So I'm willing to bet that Morrissey did record Action, People, and Looker during the World Peace sessions and they just never saw the light of day. Being that he invested so much energy into their live renditions (and TV performances), I don't think he'd discard them so easily. Guess we'll never know unless we ask Boz, but if he hasn't recorded them yet then I doubt we'll ever see studio versions of them.

But the poll you reference was before "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle" was available a a choice. I'd put Kid, People, and One Day Goodbye... above this one by a mile.

But to answer the question, yes I would like to see a studio version of "Action is My Middle Name."

But to answer the question, yes I would like to see a studio version of "Action is My Middle Name."

I think we can all agree on that. And, if "Action Man" was a demo version of said song, that would make a nice extra b-side.

No desire at all. They are sub par at best. Action is okay but okay is not good enough. Thank god they weren't on World Peace.

But the poll you reference was before "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle" was available a a choice. I'd put Kid, People, and One Day Goodbye... above this one by a mile. But to answer the question, yes I would like to see a studio version of "Action is My Middle Name."

Nope, the poll included all the World Peace songs. From memory, Kick the Bride didn't do very well but it was nowhere near his worst ever song.
Personally, although I think the lyrics are a bit rubbish, the music to the song isn't that bad.

Back
Top Bottom