“Set the Boy Free” – Johnny Marr: the in Depth interview by Fergal Kinney - Louder Than War

“Set the Boy Free” – Johnny Marr : the in Depth interview on the Smiths, his book, Bowie and Brexit - Louder Than War

Johnny Marr interviewed by Fergal Kinney

“I THOUGHT it was important” explains Johnny Marr down the phone on a Wednesday afternoon, “to let people know what really happened”. To borrow a phrase, it’s time the tale were told – the Smiths story is one that’s been documented within an inch of its life but often with varying degrees of accuracy and never from Marr’s vantage point.

Excerpt posted by an anonymous person:

Nice bit on the nearly 2008 reunion: " I’d thought anyway that if the Smiths were ever going to reform a big part of it would have been to make a new record, because on the one occasion – that I talk about in the book – that it may have nearly happened, I was one hundred per cent as excited about writing new songs as I was about playing in front of two hundred thousand people. Because I’m always led by new records I guess. I don’t know, weirdly, you are a nostalgia act when you do the big comeback, and usually no-one gives a damn about your new material. But, that wouldn’t be my mentality."

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks. Didn't know he was doing the audio book himself. very cool.

So if anyone of you are going to these Marr Q&As... what would you ask him ? That's if he's taking some audience members questions also.

thanks. Didn't know he was doing the audio book himself. very cool.

So if anyone of you are going to these Marr Q&As... what would you ask him ? That's if he's taking some audience members questions also.

I wouldn't tell you now if I was going and asking him questions.
It would be a spoiler, don't you think so too?
The questions should remain secret until they were published together with the answers. :thumb:

Nice bit on the nearly 2008 reunion: " I’d thought anyway that if the Smiths were ever going to reform a big part of it would have been to make a new record, because on the one occasion – that I talk about in the book – that it may have nearly happened, I was one hundred per cent as excited about writing new songs as I was about playing in front of two hundred thousand people. Because I’m always led by new records I guess. I don’t know, weirdly, you are a nostalgia act when you do the big comeback, and usually no-one gives a damn about your new material. But, that wouldn’t be my mentality."

not gonna read the articles, have pre ordered it and in about 2 [nov 3rd] days from now it can arrive via package post or if it goes through me mailbox the post will deliver it

The interviuew a few days ago, also here on this site, made me 'have it' asap

Spot the irony...

How disingenous are you? This is the full quote, he's saying "refer to the book"

" And I wanted to make sure I put a lot of detail in there, particularly things that are significant that haven’t been kind of hijacked or distorted by anyone in the past. Writing about exactly what happened when we played Glastonbury in ’85, that was fun, that came really easily to me. "

How disingenous are you? This is the full quote, he's saying "refer to the book"

" And I wanted to make sure I put a lot of detail in there, particularly things that are significant that haven’t been kind of hijacked or distorted by anyone in the past. Writing about exactly what happened when we played Glastonbury in ’85, that was fun, that came really easily to me. "

They played Glastonbury in '84

"I did a lot of re-writing when I first started because there’s nothing worse than someone waffling on about their schooldays or romanticising stuff just for the sake of it."

Remind you of a certain someone and their own book? ;)

"I did a lot of re-writing when I first started because there’s nothing worse than someone waffling on about their schooldays or romanticising stuff just for the sake of it."

Would have to be someone whose book he has read, of course.

His brilliant autobiography? Where is the person who already read it? Do you think this book is brilliant? Apparently one has to do very little nowadays to be described as brillant (giving journalists your time, for example). Which word is left now to describe something like Chronicles from Bob Dylan?

His brilliant autobiography? Where is the person who already read it? Do you think this book is brilliant? Apparently one has to do very little nowadays to be described as brillant (giving journalists your time, for example). Which word is left now to describe something like Chronicles from Bob Dylan?

Looking at your other posts you clearly have a bee in your bonnet about Johnny, would you like to tell us what your problem with him is?

Oh Johnny ! This book is gonna be "Bot-Tastic" thanks mate.
The fact that you was in The Smiths and actually know about all things "Steven" is gonna be really helpful to me and a few others on here. Beware of that nut job Ketchup Bum though, it won't believe a 4kin word you say :crazy: ! I put it in the mushroom cupboard a long time ago. Marred and Pikey are a couple of others to watch out for, they hang on every word the cheeseatarian speaks. Oh :rolleyes: I almost forgot Dorothy ! A K A Dot-Bot, saviour of the Munchkins. She'll just bore you into a coma with a ten page essay about Steven being the best thing since sliced cheese.
Probably for the best that Steve bottled out back in 08 when you think about it. o_O He couldn't write a song to get in Saucy Nancy's knickers if he tried. All those " yes boss" lawnmowers he surrounds himself with giving it all that bowing shit whilst walking on stage dressed identically to perform the same ole shit every night :blushing: I don't think so:laughing: and that 4kin Diesel character always lurking about in the background doh:.
I can just see your face when Steve hands you the lyrics 'Kiss me a lot' and says " Oh Johnny here's my lyrics for that masterpiece you gave me last week" :rofl:.
Can't wait to read the book, the 'H' word wasn't even invented then so that could raise a few eyebrows with the cult eh !
Oh well, we'll just have to wait till Thursday. Set the Boy Free and let the Bot wars commence.
I bet Diesels got a lot on his plate this week in the build up :rofl:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

“Set the Boy Free” – Johnny Marr : the in Depth interview on the Smiths, his book, Bowie and Brexit - Louder Than War

Johnny Marr interviewed by Fergal Kinney

“I THOUGHT it was important” explains Johnny Marr down the phone on a Wednesday afternoon, “to let people know what really happened”. To borrow a phrase, it’s time the tale were told – the Smiths story is one that’s been documented within an inch of its life but often with varying degrees of accuracy and never from Marr’s vantage point.

Excerpt posted by an anonymous person:

So we could have had a new Smith's album in 2008?

Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches
against the ditches
and the flat, grey years in between
all I can see are the never-laid
(that's the never-played symphonies)

So we could have had a new Smith's album in 2008?

Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches
against the ditches
and the flat, grey years in between
all I can see are the never-laid
(that's the never-played symphonies)
Nobody has considered the very real possibility that a new Smiths album could be a huge damp disappointment. Moz's voice has never been better but his lyrics are no longer cutting edge. Johnny's new music isn't great. All of a sudden they are both gonna become brilliant again just because we need them to? I'd sooner listen to You Are The Quarry or Vauxhall And I right now than pine for an album that's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Yes it did but it is just a general remark or criticism, not aimed at Moz. There are many ways to write an autobiography, and Johnny Marr didn't want to have that kind of an autobiography.
Moz did and it is revealing in the way you can destilate from it how important it was and still is for him.
Nothing wrong with both options.
By the way, romanticising stuff, just for the sake of it, it clearly wasn't. More the opposite.
That's why I don't think it was a dig from Johnny Marr at Moz.

Nobody has considered the very real possibility that a new Smiths album could be a huge damp disappointment. Moz's voice has never been better but his lyrics are no longer cutting edge. Johnny's new music isn't great. All of a sudden they are both gonna become brilliant again just because we need them to? I'd sooner listen to You Are The Quarry or Vauxhall And I right now than pine for an album that's not gonna happen.

As I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, for instance your appreciation for Vauxhall and Quarry, I tend to differ about this:
" Moz's voice has never been better but his lyrics are no longer cutting edge ".
To me they are still cutting edge but it is another edge.

I can see and understand the arguments many have about his lyrics and their approval of them in the past. But nothing stays the same.
Even Morrissey's lyrics did change but I can appreciate them cause they are from him as a person as he is now.

I don't see it happen, just like you but if we were to be able to ignore all legend stuff, Smiths legacy and all that and if Moz and Marr were able to ignore them too, and could start with a clean sheet forgetting what happened between them in the past, it would be, no doubt a fantastic album, musicaly. As much as was Strangeways when they split. Imagine it would possible!
Just wishful thinking on my part of course!

As I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, for instance your appreciation for Vauxhall and Quarry, I tend to differ about this:
" Moz's voice has never been better but his lyrics are no longer cutting edge ".
To me they are still cutting edge but it is another edge.

I can see and understand the arguments many have about his lyrics and their approval of them in the past. But nothing stays the same.
Even Morrissey's lyrics did change but I can appreciate them cause they are from him as a person as he is now.

I don't see it happen, just like you but if we were to be able to ignore all legend stuff, Smiths legacy and all that and if Moz and Marr were able to ignore them too, and could start with a clean sheet forgetting what happened between them in the past, it would be, no doubt a fantastic album, musicaly. As much as was Strangeways when they split. Imagine it would possible!
Just wishful thinking on my part of course!
I like your comment about "another edge". Truth be told I think Moz is still making great music. I loved World Peace. But (there is always a but) I think most artists are best when they are on the edge, e.g. alone with little hope of happiness, no money, or fighting to get away from a small town. Compare lyrics from Southpaw or Years of Refusal or World Peace to the poetry of The Smiths debut album or Meat Is Murder and there is no comparison. Same for solo Weller lyrics vs The Jam lyrics. Its a natural occurrence. That Moz is even making records amidst a deluge of manufactured X Factor Xcrement is a miracle all by itself. We should'nt ask for more.

I hope Johnny's book talks about The The and Matt Johnson. Dunno why he disappeared to make soundtracks to little known films. Mind Bomb and Dusk are classics and deserve more attention.
I also hope Johnny talks about the music he made for 'Inception'. My wife went into labour in the cinema halfway through that film. I blame the loud music! In fairness she waited for the credits to roll before saying "Now take me to the hospital."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom