11 song lyrics you probably won't understand if you're under 30 - BBC Music

11 song lyrics you probably won't understand if you're under 30 - BBC Music

Excerpt:

3. Morrissey - America Is Not the World

When Morrissey returned from seven years in the recording wilderness with album You Are the Quarry in 2004, fans must have been slightly disconcerted that the normally incisive poet's first lyric on the new record was "America, your head's too big". A verse in and Moz got to work repudiating the claim America is the land of the free, suggesting it could not be the case in a country where "the president is never black, female or gay". President Barack Obama invalidated a third of this assertion when he took office in 2008, while Hillary Clinton gets the chance to nullify another third if she becomes the first female president in 2016's United States presidential election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible but he could Also withdraw at that point as well. Still the act of stonewalling just shows the extreme opposition to his presidency. It's amazing he's accomplished as much as he has
Absolutely. Imagine how better off we'd be if other policies were allowed to flourish and not held back by obstructionists. Seems like Obama's policies on gay rights would be enough to convince Morrissey that in fact there is one politician that he could get behind. This is all based on what he was saying in concert a few years back in regards to "choose Noone".

So what Moz was saying was that he feels that people should not become president for their knowledge and skills and what they achieved in life but instead should be chosen cause of other things just to please minorities?

Absolutely. Imagine how better off we'd be if other policies were allowed to flourish and not held back by obstructionists. Seems like Obama's policies on gay rights would be enough to convince Morrissey that in fact there is one politician that he could get behind. This is all based on what he was saying in concert a few years back in regards to "choose Noone".

Obama is like Tancredi in Il Gattopardo: "Se vogliamo che tutto rimanga come è, bisogna che tutto cambi"

yes, exactly! This is why i'm surprised he lumps Obama in with all politicians in his "vote for nobody" decree.

I'm not sure about the level of detail he gives american politics myself. His ending arbitration was a big deal to me as I've written here before

Gay rights are good and all, but 50,000 drones strikes on the iraq and syria (complete with unreported data on collateral death), continuation of two illegal wars as well as further involvement in ME affairs, failure to close gitmo etc. really make it hard to believe Obama thinks world peace is any of our business. Would it really be hard to find a candidate that thinks America should stop policing and bombing the rest of the world?

Gay rights are good and all, but 50,000 drones strikes on the iraq and syria (complete with unreported data on collateral death), continuation of two illegal wars as well as further involvement in ME affairs, failure to close gitmo etc. really make it hard to believe Obama thinks world peace is any of our business. Would it really be hard to find a candidate that thinks America should stop policing and bombing the rest of the world?

That would be trump with his notion of pulling out of Nato. Policing the world is everyone's business I'm afraid. I believe this to be true. Also it's not like a president just decides hey we're not going to war. He can't even declare war, that's an act of congress along with funding it.

This is exactly why I didn't vote for Bernie sanders. A president can't set the minimum wage for example. He'd need congress to do so which is controlled by republicans who represent the interests not just of big business but are democratically elected by average Americans a well who back there ideas as well. A president who promises goals he can't accomplish alone or even give a coherent plan of how he's gonna accomplish these goals with republican support which is the political reality right now can't get my vote. At worst hell accomplish nothing and waste money and time making no progress not even incremental progress. At best he pisses off half the population creating more partisanship and factionalism which just leads to more political extremism. America was built on pragmatism and sanders was only good for making idealist statements and gestures. Being elected would have been terrible for him as he would have only disappointed

America told Moz that it didn't need a "heart deep and true." LOL.

Well, now the Democratic National Committee has a problem with Ariana Grande because she said she hates America. LOL.

#VivaMoz

I always regarded America Is Not The World as something of a bitter love letter to the US rather than an unmitigated attack. We've all been in love with people who are sometimes hard to love, so why not a nation? To lead with it on an album as important to his future prospects as Quarry was very brave.

Quarry was his last album worth repeat listens so it holds a special place in his history. It's a genuinely great album.

Obama has accomplished a lot for a president facing a republican house, for a short time a split senate and then a republican one and a conservative majority supreme court. An unprecidentedly obstructive congress at that. The blocking of the Supreme Court nominee is ridiculous as well as the senates refusal to even hear his budget agenda. For a branch of government that doesn't write or introduce laws he managed fairly well
Obama signed the NDAA which makes it legal, if unconstitutional, for anyone to be called an enemy of the state and be locked up indefinitely without access to a lawyer, and the charges don't have to be stated because that might violate national security.
He also stopped investigation in the Bush administrations war crimes and had the Department of Justice claim the President has "sovereign immunity" which means that the President can now do anything without being investigated as long as they claim it's for national security.
In other words he came out as a fascist. We now know the Saudis were funding the group that flew the planes on 9/11, but they're untouchable.
Obama got away with murder, literally, because he is black and stupid people would claim it was racism if you didn't support everything he did.

Obama signed the NDAA which makes it legal, if unconstitutional, for anyone to be called an enemy of the state and be locked up indefinitely without access to a lawyer, and the charges don't have to be stated because that might violate national security.
He also stopped investigation in the Bush administrations war crimes and had the Department of Justice claim the President has "sovereign immunity" which means that the President can now do anything without being investigated as long as they claim it's for national security.
In other words he came out as a fascist. We now know the Saudis were funding the group that flew the planes on 9/11, but they're untouchable.
Obama got away with murder, literally, because he is black and stupid people would claim it was racism if you didn't support everything he did.

Hardly as simple as you'd like to make it, regarding the case of sovereign immunity, and that still doesn't erase the things he managed to accomplish which have been good for my country. Sovereign immunity isn't a terrible concept, just like marshal law isn't always a terrible thing, and it wasn't imo used in an altogether terrible way in regard to Saudi Arabia or even domestic suveleince. It just meant they couldn't be sued not that the government couldn't be pressured to end the practice in question by voting out the administration and the congressmen so it's hardly fascism and hardly makes them fascists so much as its a specific form of immunity and even that immunity could be changed by congress even with a veto threat. Again not really fascism or Obama acting like a facist. heres a good piece in defense of the law but it might be to long for you. Your post had hints of ranting tolling but maybe someone will read it.

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bclawr/42_3/01_TXT.htm

Hardly as simple as you'd like to make it, regarding the case of sovereign immunity, and that still doesn't erase the things he managed to accomplish which have been good for my country. Sovereign immunity isn't a terrible concept, just like marshal law isn't always a terrible thing, and it wasn't imo used in an altogether terrible way in regard to Saudi Arabia or even domestic suveleince. It just meant they couldn't be sued not that the government couldn't be pressured to end the practice in question by voting out the administration and the congressmen so it's hardly fascism and hardly makes them fascists so much as its a specific form of immunity and even that immunity could be changed by congress even with a veto threat. Again not really fascism or Obama acting like a facist. heres a good piece in defense of the law but it might be to long for you. Your post had hints of ranting tolling but maybe someone will read it.

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bclawr/42_3/01_TXT.htm

The "form of immunity" is used to stop the truth about Bush's pals in the Saudi royal family from emerging, as well as shutting down investigations into terrorism which you might have noticed has exploded, no pun intended, since the "war on terror" began.
You post a link and tell me it's too long for me to read but then you don't even refer to anything contained there or give any reason why I would want to read it?

"Marshal law"

LOL

:laughing::rofl:

The "form of immunity" is used to stop the truth about Bush's pals in the Saudi royal family from emerging, as well as shutting down investigations into terrorism which you might have noticed has exploded, no pun intended, since the "war on terror" began.
You post a link and tell me it's too long for me to read but then you don't even refer to anything contained there or give any reason why I would want to read it?

I said you wouldn't want to read it because you never read any articles I post claiming to long didn't read. Didn't think this time would be any different. Prosecuting the previous administation and all of the congressmen who supported that administration, as it's not like he can fund or act all on how own, who are still in office and a majority in both the house and the senate would be difficult and probably a waste of time not to mention all the consequences of fighting global terror and keeping security that need to happen. We need that cooperation even if it is painful to admit. Same with the defense bill. It's not like he wrote it but rather a number of democratically elected congressmen who he has to work with. Fascism, please. Of course you could tell me exactly what crimes you think he should have prosecuted the bush administration for as you're being pretty vauge here. What crimes and what evidence that will stand up to a trial. Sovereign immunity is just a way to end a pointless long fight that we kinda can't afford to have

I said you wouldn't want to read it because you never read any articles I post claiming to long didn't read. Didn't think this time would be any different. Prosecuting the previous administation and all of the congressmen who supported that administration, as it's not like he can fund or act all on how own, who are still in office and a majority in both the house and the senate would be difficult and probably a waste of time not to mention all the consequences of fighting global terror and keeping security that need to happen. We need that cooperation even if it is painful to admit. Same with the defense bill. It's not like he wrote it but rather a number of democratically elected congressmen who he has to work with. Fascism, please. Of course you could tell me exactly what crimes you think he should have prosecuted the bush administration for as you're being pretty vauge here. What crimes and what evidence that will stand up to a trial. Sovereign immunity is just a way to end a pointless long fight that we kinda can't afford to have

What happened to your TyronePowerbottom account? I miss the downvotes. :(
Your post makes no sense as usual. Goodbye.

What happened to your TyronePowerbottom account? I miss the downvotes. :(
Your post makes no sense as usual. Goodbye.

A refusal to provide detail like Im supposed to know what your hinting around by Saudi pals. Surprise. I also am not nor have I ever been power bottom. I've never held an account here at all. You sound like a conspiracy nut in this whole thread

I said you wouldn't want to read it because you never read any articles I post claiming to long didn't read.

I also am not nor have I ever been power bottom. I've never held an account here at all.

The only person that had an issue about me refusing to read linked articles was you, tyronepowerbottom, and you also can't spell and get angry and make weird accusations.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/16/s...-911-hijackers-unclassified-documents-reveal/

http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/yes-the-saudi-government-helped-the-911-terrorists/

Saudi Prince And Friend Of Bushes Connected To Al-Qaida, 9/11 Hijackers,
Documents Reveal

"
The unclassified 28 pages of the 9/11 report reveal that the FBI and CIA had evidence connecting Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan, nicknamed Bandar Bush, to al-Qaida and men close to the 9/11 hijackers.

The report shows that bin Sultan was most closely connected to Osama Bassnan, a suspected Saudi intelligence agent who was close to 9/11 hijackers.

The report states that “[Bassnan] and his wife have received financial support from the Saudi Ambassador to the United States and his wife.” “According to the FBI, on May 14, 1998, Bassnan cashed a check from Bandar in the amount of $15,000.” "

the-bandar-bush-kiss1.jpg

President Bush and Prince Bandar
"
FBI files show Saudi agent Omar al-Bayoumi provided “substantial assistance” to Saudi hijackers Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi after they arrived in San Diego in February 2000. Hazmi was the leader of the cell that attacked the Pentagon, while Mihdhar was one of that cell’s muscle hijackers. The two even stayed at Bayoumi’s apartment, working out in his gym.

At the same time he was aiding the hijackers, Bayoumi was getting large salary increases from a Saudi defense front company tied to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, where he worked as a ghost employee. Another alleged Saudi intelligence officer who handled the hijackers, Osama Bassnan, worked closely with Bayoumi."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ive-matters-saudi-arabia-911-11-a6999091.html

"Twenty-eight secret pages of a report locked away in a room in the Capitol in Washington lie in the centre of a crisis between America and Saudi Arabia which threatens to have severe and widespread repercussions.

Former President George W Bush claimed the publication of this part of the report would damage America’s national security by revealing “sources and methods that would make it harder for us to win the War on Terror”. "

A genius like you should know about this. It's been in the news.

The only person that had an issue about me refusing to read linked articles was you, tyronepowerbottom, and you also can't spell and get angry and make weird accusations.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/16/s...-911-hijackers-unclassified-documents-reveal/

http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/yes-the-saudi-government-helped-the-911-terrorists/

Saudi Prince And Friend Of Bushes Connected To Al-Qaida, 9/11 Hijackers,
Documents Reveal

"
The unclassified 28 pages of the 9/11 report reveal that the FBI and CIA had evidence connecting Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan, nicknamed Bandar Bush, to al-Qaida and men close to the 9/11 hijackers.

The report shows that bin Sultan was most closely connected to Osama Bassnan, a suspected Saudi intelligence agent who was close to 9/11 hijackers.

The report states that “[Bassnan] and his wife have received financial support from the Saudi Ambassador to the United States and his wife.” “According to the FBI, on May 14, 1998, Bassnan cashed a check from Bandar in the amount of $15,000.” "

the-bandar-bush-kiss1.jpg

President Bush and Prince Bandar
"
FBI files show Saudi agent Omar al-Bayoumi provided “substantial assistance” to Saudi hijackers Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi after they arrived in San Diego in February 2000. Hazmi was the leader of the cell that attacked the Pentagon, while Mihdhar was one of that cell’s muscle hijackers. The two even stayed at Bayoumi’s apartment, working out in his gym.

At the same time he was aiding the hijackers, Bayoumi was getting large salary increases from a Saudi defense front company tied to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, where he worked as a ghost employee. Another alleged Saudi intelligence officer who handled the hijackers, Osama Bassnan, worked closely with Bayoumi."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ive-matters-saudi-arabia-911-11-a6999091.html

"Twenty-eight secret pages of a report locked away in a room in the Capitol in Washington lie in the centre of a crisis between America and Saudi Arabia which threatens to have severe and widespread repercussions.

Former President George W Bush claimed the publication of this part of the report would damage America’s national security by revealing “sources and methods that would make it harder for us to win the War on Terror”. "

A genius like you should know about this. It's been in the news.

Yes it's been in the news but I don't assume that's what you mean. I believe you could mean anything and I dont give much credence to this news and it hasn't been exactly a big story. It didn't last long I. The headlines at least. It's hard to try and respond to you when you don't say exactly you mean. There's no reason to be so childish about this whole conversation either. All I said was I liked Obama and didn't even say it to you so theres no need to be so volatile when you decide to start a conversation with me. I don't see anything there that would be evidence of a war crime by the bush administration. Do you mean they used sovereign immunity to not be sued to release the transcript cause I don't think that's a war crime or did you mean the Saudi government committed a war crime. I'm assuming the latter even though you said the bush administration. From what I've read about the subject the evidence was tenuous and not enough to go anywhere and yes it probably would have hurt the war on terror and upset important allies that we need. A guy connected to a guy whos alleged to be this or that who's connected to an extremist based on the testimony of a bunch of other sketchy people cashing a check of fifteen thousand dollars (a pidley sum considering the issue) that could be for anything etc. lots of people are connected that don't always add up to plots or conspiracy and without something solid the whole thing is a waste of time with a bunch of negative consequences. They could just be sympathizer sorry just know sympathizer and extremists and not material providers of anything. To draw the conclusion that Obama is a murderer who got away with is a weird conclusion even if what you're saying is all as you think it is which I don't buy. He's a murderer through stopping an investigation? (Ugh I used punctuation). I think you mean accessory to a conspiracy to cover up murder perhaps The idea that he got away with it because he's black is worse

Also just because two people say something similar and make a similar complaint doesn't mean they're the same people. That's not a very good piece of logical deduction there.

Yes it's been in the news but I don't assume that's what you mean. I believe you could mean anything and I dont give much credence to this news and it hasn't been exactly a big story. It didn't last long I. The headlines at least. It's hard to try and respond to you when you don't say exactly you mean. There's no reason to be so childish about this whole conversation either. All I said was I liked Obama and didn't even say it to you so theres no need to be so volatile when you decide to start a conversation with me. I don't see anything there that would be evidence of a war crime by the bush administration. Do you mean they used sovereign immunity to not be sued to release the transcript cause I don't think that's a war crime or did you mean the Saudi government committed a war crime. I'm assuming the latter even though you said the bush administration. From what I've read about the subject the evidence was tenuous and not enough to go anywhere and yes it probably would have hurt the war on terror and upset important allies that we need. A guy connected to a guy whos alleged to be this or that who's connected to an extremist based on the testimony of a bunch of other sketchy people cashing a check of fifteen thousand dollars (a pidley sum considering the issue) that could be for anything etc. lots of people are connected that don't always add up to plots or conspiracy and without something solid the whole thing is a waste of time with a bunch of negative consequences. They could just be sympathizer sorry just know sympathizer and extremists and not material providers of anything. To draw the conclusion that Obama is a murderer who got away with is a weird conclusion even if what you're saying is all as you think it is which I don't buy. He's a murderer through stopping an investigation? (Ugh I used punctuation). I think you mean accessory to a conspiracy to cover up murder perhaps The idea that he got away with it because he's black is worse

Also just because two people say something similar and make a similar complaint doesn't mean they're the same people. That's not a very good piece of logical deduction there.
Please show me where I refused to read a link you posted. I'm not going to explain the significance of a Saudi prince and good friend of George Bush having been caught giving money to a known 9/11 hijacker. You asked me what I meant and that is what I meant.
About war crimes, the US is currently helping the Saudis cover up war crimes in Yemen, but no, I meant war crimes such as torture, authorized by the Bush administration, the investigation of which was halted by Obama, as I stated.

Now I will wait while you show me where I refused to read your link, since you claim not to be tyronepowerbottom.

Please show me where I refused to read a link you posted. I'm not going to explain the significance of a Saudi prince and good friend of George Bush having been caught giving money to a known 9/11 hijacker. You asked me what I meant and that is what I meant.
About war crimes, the US is currently helping the Saudis cover up war crimes in Yemen, but no, I meant war crimes such as torture, authorized by the Bush administration, the investigation of which was halted by Obama, as I stated.

Now I will wait while you show me where I refused to read your link, since you claim not to be tyronepowerbottom.

your original posts seem all over the place then and not very clear if that's what you meant. You never mention torture but you do mention immunity being used to stop the truth, cause of course you know the truth, about bush and his pals. The time I easily remember offhand was when we we're were talking about sanders and Clinton in the thread abput morrissey supporting sanders, it had the pic of the bird landing in his podium, and I posted a Newsweek article about why clintons "e mail scandal" wasn't really a scandal which you were reluctant to read or about the interview with sanders about where he tries to explain how his policies will be implimented or even work specifically. I think one was by New York daily new perhaps. I'm not gonna waste my time searching and linking but that's what I'm remembering if you wanna check out the veracity of my claims. How this is gonna prove I'm not power bottom is beyond me though. If some site administrator can somehow know, I'm not sure if this is possible as I'm very tech limited, then please show that I'm not. I believe they would find our ip to be different but even then to me you seem very likely to be the type to believe that it's all some elaborate conspiracy anyway

your original posts seem all over the place then and not very clear if that's what you meant. You never mention torture but you do mention immunity being used to stop the truth, cause of course you know the truth, about bush and his pals. The time I easily remember offhand was when we we're were talking about sanders and Clinton in the thread abput morrissey supporting sanders, it had the pic of the bird landing in his podium, and I posted a Newsweek article about why clintons "e mail scandal" wasn't really a scandal which you were reluctant to read or about the interview with sanders about where he tries to explain how his policies will be implimented or even work specifically. I think one was by New York daily new perhaps. I'm not gonna waste my time searching and linking but that's what I'm remembering if you wanna check out the veracity of my claims. How this is gonna prove I'm not power bottom is beyond me though. If some site administrator can somehow know, I'm not sure if this is possible as I'm very tech limited, then please show that I'm not. I believe they would find our ip to be different but even then to me you seem very likely to be the type to believe that it's all some elaborate conspiracy anyway

Actually I got the two of you confused. I had thought tyronepowerbottom was the one haranguing me about the newsweek link. In a similar thread she made similar comments in a similar way, but clearly as tyronepowerbottowm, whereas your posts are "anonymous."
My mistake.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom