13 Morrissey studio albums ranking

The ones who state that "it's just a compilation" do not understand at all the difference between a "compilation" and an album that got recorded in chapters and was so incredibly good that all the songs have been released as singles (or B-sides) in advance.
Um...OK. And this brand new studio album was also so incredibly good that two of the songs from it were sent back via time machine to not only appear on 'Viva Hate', but as the singles from that album. They must have known 'Bona Drag' was going to be a cracker, to decide to release those songs early on the previous album as a teaser! :ROFLMAO:

Um...OK. And this brand new studio album was also so incredibly good that two of the songs from it were sent back via time machine to not only appear on 'Viva Hate', but as the singles from that album. They must have known 'Bona Drag' was going to be a cracker, to decide to release those songs early on the previous album as a teaser! :ROFLMAO:

Exactly... only a genius promotes the forthcoming album in the previous album.... and If I am not wrong, no other album created as many singles as Bona Drag did in the whole history of Morrissey as a solo artist. It's a damn good album.

Exactly... only a genius promotes the forthcoming album in the previous album.... and If I am not wrong, no other album created as many singles as Bona Drag did in the whole history of Morrissey as a solo artist. It's a damn good album.
Yup. Take off Sunday and suede. It’s still perfect

yes, it's possible to remove one or two songs from any of his 14 albums and they are still great.
Try taking Dear God & Killed Me off Ringleader. The result isn’t great.

LEADERBOARD (Update)

1) Vauxhall And I - 915.5 pts
2) Your Arsenal - 834.5 pts
3) Viva Hate - 812 pts
4) You Are The Quarry - 634.5 pts
5) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 553 pts
6) Southpaw Grammar - 507.5 pts
7) Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 480 pts
8) Maladjusted - 478.5 pts
9) World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 419 pts
9) Years Of Refusal - 419 pts
11) Kill Uncle - 361.5 pts
12) Low In High School - 304 pts
13) California Son - 203 pts

LEADERBOARD (Update)

1) Vauxhall And I - 915.5 pts
2) Your Arsenal - 834.5 pts
3) Viva Hate - 812 pts
4) You Are The Quarry - 634.5 pts
5) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 553 pts
6) Southpaw Grammar - 507.5 pts
7) Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 480 pts
8) Maladjusted - 478.5 pts
9) World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 419 pts
9) Years Of Refusal - 419 pts
11) Kill Uncle - 361.5 pts
12) Low In High School - 304 pts
13) California Son - 203 pts
The vocals alone, on California Son, merit a mid-table placing. And Low in High School is musically adventurous, which is something Kill Uncle isn’t. Aside from that, the high placing of Quarry is testament to the benefits of marketing: 10 years of a dad rock quagmire started with that LP.

I will never, ever, til my dying days, understand how so many Morrissey fans could dislike Maladjusted. To me, it’s a quintessential Morrissey album.

I will never, ever, til my dying days, understand how so many Morrissey fans could dislike Maladjusted. To me, it’s a quintessential Morrissey album.
Agreed. It’s to Morrissey as The White Album is to The Beatles. As more time passes the more it seems (for me) to rival Vauxhall, as his finest.

Agreed. It’s to Morrissey as The White Album is to The Beatles. As more time passes the more it seems (for me) to rival Vauxhall, as his finest.
I am not really there. I never hated it. But it is self indulgent. The first song and sorrow are both interesting, but I can’t listen to them. Papa Jack could have been good, but it’s a bit of a dud.
Roy’s Keen, Trouble, Wide to Receive, Ambitious are all very good songs.
Alma is a stone cold classic Moz single.
Satan is fine. Sounds like a Southpaw leave behind.
The Bsides were really good. Parallel is excellent

Hear, hear, mate. Hear, hear. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

I don't so much dislike it, as find it very middling, and certainly a step-down from the high quality of Arsenal, Vauxhall and even Southpaw (which felt pretty radical and worthy at the time). I can clearly remember when 'Maladjusted' came out, the UK was still vibrant and surfing the waves of Britpop, with a mass of exciting guitar bands all over the place. I was hoping 'Maladjusted' would be the album that would see Moz reclaim his indie throne, but it all sounded a bit middle-of-the-road and 'dad rock' in comparison to everything else. It was the album that made me realise he was now yesterday's man, and not particularly relevant anymore. I still enjoyed tracks like 'Papa Jack' and 'Ammunition', but they sounded like work from an artist who already had one foot in the retirement home.

I’ve said it many times, it’s one of the very best. Along with Southpaw, KU and VH, it’s the album I listen to the most. Time never takes me away from it. A piece of wonder!

I don't so much dislike it, as find it very middling, and certainly a step-down from the high quality of Arsenal, Vauxhall and even Southpaw (which felt pretty radical and worthy at the time). I can clearly remember when 'Maladjusted' came out, the UK was still vibrant and surfing the waves of Britpop, with a mass of exciting guitar bands all over the place. I was hoping 'Maladjusted' would be the album that would see Moz reclaim his indie throne, but it all sounded a bit middle-of-the-road and 'dad rock' in comparison to everything else. It was the album that made me realise he was now yesterday's man, and not particularly relevant anymore. I still enjoyed tracks like 'Papa Jack' and 'Ammunition', but they sounded like work from an artist who already had one foot in the retirement home.
It wasn’t particularly trendy or edgy, but it was quintessential Moz: warm, melodic guitar based pop/rock, with deeply personal lyrics full of both wit and sadness. It was the work of a weary, broken man, who knew full well he was on the ropes. And it shows. Throughout the record, he sounds earnest and true.
The expanded edition released in 2009 is even better.

It wasn’t particularly trendy or edgy, but it was quintessential Moz: warm, melodic guitar based pop/rock, with deeply personal lyrics full of both wit and sadness. It was the work of a weary, broken man, who knew full well he was on the ropes. And it shows. Throughout the record, he sounds earnest and true.
The expanded edition released in 2009 is even better.
Maladjusted has four great songs (Alma, Trouble, Wide and Satan), a few OK ones (e.g. He Cried, Ammunition) and a few duff ones (Roy's Keen, Ambitious Outsiders). An average solo album really. There were some cracking B-sides though - Lost and The Edges are two of his best ever.
And Alma was his first top 20 single since Vauxhall and I, even making the Radio 1 playlist. It was all such a relief after the joyless drudgery of Southpaw Grammar.

I thought Maladjusted was a step up from Southpaw Grammar, as Morrissey had at least written some interesting lyrics again and there are some bright moments.

The title track, due to the lyrics, is a standout and Trouble Loves Me ought to have been the second single.

It feels like a really unconfident album from everyone involved though. The music is very average (dull in places), the production is lacking and Morrissey's lyricism is patchy.

If it could have been delayed to include Lost and The Edges are No Longer Parallel, that certainly would have improved things. Kit would certainly have been a better inclusion than either Papa Jack or Roy's Keen as well. I can't speak for I Know Who I Love obviously...

A 6/10 album for me.

Unpopular opinion: Roy’s Keen might have some silly lyrics, but it’s a really good pop song. I think it’s much better than the terribly overrated Fatty and light years ahead of crap like Kiss Me a Lot (if one is to compare it to some of his other lightweight pop songs). Its chorus is melodically strong and has a beautiful minor strain to it.

Unpopular opinion: Roy’s Keen might have some silly lyrics, but it’s a really good pop song. I think it’s much better than the terribly overrated Fatty and light years ahead of crap like Kiss Me a Lot (if one is to compare it to some of his other lightweight pop songs). Its chorus is melodically strong and has a beautiful minor strain to it.
Yes! I find myself humming the tune of Roy's Keen way more than most other Morrissey songs. And I love a bit of silly Morrissey.

Roy's Keen is an unappreciated masterpiece.

A bit late to this but I just did a ranking based off of how many Morrissey songs from each of his albums are on my current Morrissey playlist. It's definitely not an official ranking, but I was surprised at the results! The scores with the same number I decided to fall back on my personal ranking, but technically they are ties on this system.

Southpaw Grammar – 2

World Peace is None of Your Business - 4

California Sun – 4

Ringleader of the Tormentors – 5

Viva Hate – 5

Low in High School – 6

Kill Uncle – 6

Maladjusted – 7

Years of Refusal – 7

Your Arsenal – 7

Swords – 8

You Are the Quarry – 8