1985-06-27 Los Angeles: First gen audience JEMS transfer on Dime. Is this new?

docinwestchester

The Smiths
The Palladium
Los Angeles, CA
June 27, 1985
RG First Generation Cassette via JEMS
New Wave LA Series Vol. 43

Recording equipment: unknown stereo microphone and unknown cassette deck

JEMS 2021 Transfer: RG First Generation Cassette > Nakamichi RX-505 (azimuth adjustment) > Sound Devices USBPre 2 > Audacity 2.0 capture > iZotope RX6 > iZotope Ozone 6 > CD Wave > ffmpeg > FLAC

01 Meat is Murder
02 Hand in Glove
03 Shakespeare's Sister
04 The Headmaster Ritual
05 Nowhere Fast
06 I Want the One I Can't Have
07 This Charming Man
08 That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
09 Stretch Out and Wait
10 (Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now)
11 Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
12 What She Said
13 Still Ill
14 How Soon Is Now
15 William, It Was Really Nothing
16 Jeane
17 Rusholme Ruffians
18 Miserable Lie (cuts out)

New Wave LA returns to the City of Angels this week and a debut visit by The Smiths, playing the first of two nights at The Palladium. The Smiths became a big band on local alternative station KROQ (noted above), the beginning of the area's love affair with the band and Morrissey in particular that would continue for decades.

You'll hear an excited and chatty crowd on RG's tape as The Smiths play in support of Meat Is Murder. At one point Morrissey has to admonish them for throwing things. Oddly, later in the set, someone in the crowd actually grabs a piece of equipment from the stage, bringing the proceedings to a halt until it can be found again.

The setlist includes the relatively rare "Rusholme Ruffians" but regrettably misses the show-closer, "Barbarism Begins At Home," which would soon disappear from the set. It was the last song of the night after "Miserable Lie" which is incomplete on this recording.

RG's recording is clear enough, mired on occasion by audience noise, but a solid document of the gig in a room that is not one of LA's acoustic marvels. Samples provided.

We're so grateful to RG for letting JEMS dig through his tape boxes and pull out the assets for this series. He witnessed amazing SoCal music history. Tip of the hat as well to cpscps who volunteered to handle post-production on our series which is a huge help to us and makes it possible to get more music in your hands. Stay tuned for more New Wave in LA.

Audio here:

There's 3 versions in the archive Larry.
2 are cassette and 1 is broadcast.
Can compare when time allows.
3 versions:

The cassette used could be better than those previously used - that said, one version cites using the master tape. .
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom