2 Shot in Holocaust Museum

nugz

SUPAHSTAR!
oh look, another whackjob goin around shootin people. great.

(CBS/AP) Two people were shot when a gunman, reportedly an elderly white supremacist, exchanged fire with security guards at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Wednesday, authorities said.

The shooter has been tentatively identified as James Von Brunn - reportedly affiliated with white supremacist Web sites, law enforcement officials told CBS News correspondent Bob Orr.

Von Brunn is 87 or 88 years old.

U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser said the suspect walked into the museum with what he described as ``long gun'' and exchanged fire with security guards. The extent of the injuries weren't immediately known.

The weapon was a shot gun, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Orr.

U.S. Park Police initially gave slightly different information, saying three people had been shot. Fire department spokesman Alan Etter told CNN a third person was hurt after being cut by broken glass.

The museum normally has a heavy security presence with guards positioned both inside and outside the museum. All visitors are required to pass through metal detectors at the entrance, and bags are screened.

The museum, located just off the National Mall near the Washington Monument, is a popular tourist attraction. It draws about 1.7 million visitors each year.

Roads surrounding the museum have been closed.

Sandy Perkins of Massachusetts said her daughter, Abigail, called her shortly after the shooting. The teen was on a school trip to the museum and told her mother students heard several shots before they were told to leave the building.

Abigail said some of her friends were very shaken, but all were otherwise fine, Sandy Perkins said.

The teens did not see where the shots were coming from.

The Israeli Embassy said it plans to issue a statement later Wednesday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/10/national/main5077874.shtml

That sucks! :(

I was in that museum last summer. It's such a sad place anyway, even without this. R.I.P. :(

"...The museum normally has a heavy security presence with guards positioned both inside and outside the museum. All visitors are required to pass through metal detectors at the entrance, and bags are screened..."

what was different today that a person with a shot gun could just walk in?

it was a rifle. and he didnt pass through security, he stood in are right before the metal detectors and started shooting. thats why he hit security guards.

I got shot gun from the news story quoted. I haven't checked news reports for details...was just curious.

I got shot gun from the news story quoted. I haven't checked news reports for details...was just curious.

no its okay. ive been listening to stuff on the news, and im pretty sure i heard them say it was a rifle. i posted that story as soon as the news broke, so they probably didnt have all the details correct yet.

Back
Top Bottom