22 years ago in Morrissey history - Signing at Record Rack in Houston Texas 7/29/1992

Abrahan

...with an N.
Subscriber

Seems as if nothing has changed in 22 years. The cult-like following is still as strong.

I always laugh at how none of the newscasters mention that he was in a band called The Smiths.

- Someone has one told me, over the years, that no one was supposed to mention or ask him about The Smiths that day so maybe that was why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for posting this. It got me all choked up! I really miss those days.

In 1994 I slept on 57th St for a couple of nights to get tickets for those mythical Carnegie Hall shows that never materialized, and all of the local newspapers came to interview us. I remember how bemused the reporters (and endless passers-by) were, asking who Morrissey was…then asking who the Smiths were, etc. Haha. MTV brought us donuts and coffee in the morning. I wish I could find more of the articles that were in the papers that week, but the only one I can find is from the New York Times ("MORRISSEY, the literate English rock-and-roll cult figure"):
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/24/style/chronicle-564680.html

I wonder if Josh or anyone else there are here still.

I'd love to know how many of these people that waited 29 hours to meet him are still fans and go to shows. I'm amazed especially around my town when I wear a Moz shirt so many people come up to me and told me about the good old days of the 90s when they were a fan. Usually happens at least 2-3 times.

I'd love to know how many of these people that waited 29 hours to meet him are still fans and go to shows. I'm amazed especially around my town when I wear a Moz shirt so many people come up to me and told me about the good old days of the 90s when they were a fan. Usually happens at least 2-3 times.

I would love to know too, also wonder if Julia was there, or was this before her time?

I wasn't at this signing. But I did sleep overnight on the sidewalk to see Morrissey perform on the Tonight Show in 1992 (after not getting in in 1991). And I'm still a die-hard fan that comes to this site daily, goes to shows, and collects everything.

I think Julia started showing up during the 1997 tour but I could be wrong.

I forgot what live show it was but Morrissey once said that she was present at the Smiths first practice.

I think Julia started showing up during the 1997 tour but I could be wrong.

What year did she start True To You (the zine, not the site)? I could swear I remember buying one off of her in person before 1997, but my memory ain't what it used to be.

On that date I was 12 days old.

Watching this brings me so many different emotions all at once but the disappointing thing is that ultimately it just reinforces the fact that Morrissey at that time in his prime was a criminally underrated superstar stuck in the reserves that barely anyone had heard about.

There is no one who made more of an impact on people with his music and his existence and yet even then when he was larger than life he was still in obscurity in the depths of America.

The success he had was fine and dandy but he deserved so much more.

Back
Top Bottom