A word of warmth to the line organisers at Moz gigs

I can't speak for a particular gig, and if the accountant rampant wasn't organising it, it could be dodgy. But there are a lot of misconceptions voiced here about the list.

When organised fairly, people are not allowed to f*** off for the whole day and then return to claim a spot in the front of the queue. There's not a hard and fast rule about the exact amount of time spent in the queue, but the majority of the time should be spent in the queue. Short breaks for toileting (PLEASE don't be a smelly hippy and ruin the gig for those around you, including Morrissey) and eating allowed/encouraged. If you're absent for too long, general opprobrium will follow and a stern but kindly man will have a good talking to you about that and may even boot you off your initial spot if it is particularly aggregious.

It may seem cliquey to you, but that is probably because you were not there early enough -- newcomers to the queue are informed without prejudice about the list as they turn up, but only up to a certain point. Depending on the length of the stage, the list may stop at a certain number because there's no point in keeping track of an unwieldy number with no assurances of getting a position at the barrier.

Also, people on the list are present in the queue, but they may like to speak with a friend who is at the end of or further down the queue or just returned from putting away chairs/going to the toilet. When it is time to sort out the positions right before doors, it looks to you like these people came out of nowhere and took a spot ahead of you unfairly, but that is likely not the case.

Yes but that didn't happen at the gig I went to. People didn't show up for a few hours while I was queuing and then all of a sudden they appeared and expected to be in front of me. Strangely, they all seemed to know each other. If there's going to be a list then everybody who arrives at any given time should be informed. We walked off again not even knowing about the list around mid-day and as I know that place pretty well it's extremely unlikely that there were more than 3-5 people there at the time. they could have at least mentioned it as I thought it was clear what we were there for, although admittedly neither of us had a quiff.

have you ever been to a Tori Amos concert (well, back in the day) Talking Vintage Tori here. I been following her for years, over 17 yrs, and lists are actually numbers on hands! It works sometimes, sometimes it does not!

Depends where ur at. Seattle has always been good to me. New York was pretty cool. Florida alright. It's my own hometown Los Angeles (I live in Ventura now) where they go all nutso on your ass. But they all know me, that I been there forever, so they really know better to mess w/ me. lol

I may be cursed in life, but I have good Tix/ line Karma. MOST the time at least!

I know how the game is played. But folks it's only a concert. Calm down.

At Tori shows, people have been stomped on and ran over- rabid tori fans!

Last edited:
This seems like a good a place as any to bring this up .... someone texted this "news" to me (2nd hand) but surely it can't be true? :eek::eek::eek:

There is a post-it-note a.k.a. " official queue list" on the door of the Fox Theater for tomorrow's gig.

Thoughts?

No worries. That was me posting it for the October 2012 gig there. Carry on. . . .

as long as you supply us with Dunkin Donuts coffee again, I don't have a problem with it :thumb:

Ha. I do my best to take care of my queue buddies.

I can't take credit for the DD coffee though. That was the guy at his first gig who let his entire family cut in line when the doors opened. Up until that point I was happy for him when he got Morrissey's autograph.

mr teenie, i'm not sure where you're from. but in the states and in the UK, where i have queued for moz shows (every time with a queue list), the list is to PREVENT CUTTING, protect the order of the queue and to prove what time you showed up.

UNLESS KICKED OFF THE PREMISES BY THE VENUE, it is not so you can go walk around the city all day. you are still expected to put in your time sitting on the hard concrete in the cold, along with everyone else. at the dozens of shows that i have attended with a queue list, this has been the case. perhaps it was different at your show, but i've never seen it this way.

the queue list is great, because if you DO go back to your hotel room to shower or to grab a bite to eat (not a 6-hour nap), there is proof that you had been in line. but it all falls apart if people interpret this as free license to leave the queue all day, that's not what it's intended for. it's just to keep order, prevent cutting, etc.

i also haven't encountered any problems with people not being included on the list. obviously as the show gets closer (afternoon hours) and dozens of people are turning up, the list stops being added to and it is now just the queue. but for the people who turn up really early, i've always seen them be approached and added to the list whether they know anyone or not.

just my two cents..

I have no idea how the list is used in the UK or the states, I was just talking about the show I was at (Berlin). There were some swedish guys who organized the list and a few guys from Poland and England (I think) lining up early, hardly any Germans. When the list was explained to me I asked them when I was expected to come back. The answer was right before the venue opens will do. It didn't even cross my mind I could be expected to stay the majority of the time.
Also, what I said was more like a description what the list could be, if people decided to use it to the fullest. I just don't see its use when you're not allowed to leave for a longer time. When you stand in line for 2 hours, noone will just come and stand right in front of you. You don't really need a list to leave just for some minutes. Everyone will be familiar with your face by then. Just ask the one behind or in front of you to look for your spot. Have you ever seen someone using the list to show someone just cut the line? Maybe people in the UK or the states are way ruder than over here, but I doubt that.

If everyone decided to use the list the way I just explained, it would be of immense use (yes, I know it's not likely to happen anytime soon).

Danny: If noone tells you there's a list, well that obviously sucks. But this isn't really an argument against the list, it's a failure of the organizers.

Also, what I said was more like a description what the list could be, if people decided to use it to the fullest. I just don't see its use when you're not allowed to leave for a longer time. When you stand in line for 2 hours, noone will just come and stand right in front of you. You don't really need a list to leave just for some minutes. Everyone will be familiar with your face by then. Just ask the one behind or in front of you to look for your spot. Have you ever seen someone using the list to show someone just cut the line? Maybe people in the UK or the states are way ruder than over here, but I doubt that.

Unfortunately, yes they will. Search the forums for the line crashing soap opera from 2007 if you missed it. Very high drama.

It works for some people.... it didn't work for me. I got in line at midnight. There was a list going around but... they decided to skip me and let all their friends cut in front who actually arrived at 4pm. I can understand saving your friend a spot but I'm talking a few dozens "friends".

*waves* Hi Kieran!

And yes. It sucks. This is the same crap that happened at the Palladium shows. Because most of the LA people are assholes. I say if this happens this time around, we actually do something about it. 'Cause I'm not gonna have it ruin it for me.

Unfortunately, yes they will. Search the forums for the line crashing soap opera from 2007 if you missed it. Very high drama.

I don't know what happened back then, but I doubt a list can help you in a situation like this. If someone will just cut the line in front of me, I'd try to talk to him first. If this doesn't help, well, how does a list help? Either the line crasher is willing to discuss the problem or he is not. If he's not listening to your arguments, he won't mind the list anyway. The only way to approach people like this is to directly confront them and to involve other people in the line. When there are 20 guys behind you, everyone is affected by the line crasher. You should try to single out the line crasher. He won't be able to stay when everyone shouts at him, but he will be able to stay when you try to solve this situation with arguments or a list. He just won't care.

When I first heard about the list, I didn't like it at all. But after actually experience it and having it explained to me in full, it seemed like a good idea and for the most part it worked pretty well for the Pomona show. For people who didn't know about the list and weren't put on, but obviously put their time in, then the other people that had been there all day as well could vouch for that person and find their right place in line. The list organizers at this show stayed at the venue and only left for small breaks, as for most of the people who were on the list. Of course, there are always people who try to cut, and if you don't want to get physical, which I'm sure most people at the show don't, all you can do is try your best to make them feel bad for thinking they are entitled to come whenever they please and take whatever spot they like. But apart from that, it worked out rather nicely, in my opinion. I officially like the list. Seeing that it's done properly.

I can't speak for a particular gig, and if the accountant rampant wasn't organising it, it could be dodgy. But there are a lot of misconceptions voiced here about the list.

When organised fairly, people are not allowed to f*** off for the whole day and then return to claim a spot in the front of the queue. There's not a hard and fast rule about the exact amount of time spent in the queue, but the majority of the time should be spent in the queue. Short breaks for toileting (PLEASE don't be a smelly hippy and ruin the gig for those around you, including Morrissey) and eating allowed/encouraged. If you're absent for too long, general opprobrium will follow and a stern but kindly man will have a good talking to you about that and may even boot you off your initial spot if it is particularly aggregious.

It may seem cliquey to you, but that is probably because you were not there early enough -- newcomers to the queue are informed without prejudice about the list as they turn up, but only up to a certain point. Depending on the length of the stage, the list may stop at a certain number because there's no point in keeping track of an unwieldy number with no assurances of getting a position at the barrier.

Also, people on the list are present in the queue, but they may like to speak with a friend who is at the end of or further down the queue or just returned from putting away chairs/going to the toilet. When it is time to sort out the positions right before doors, it looks to you like these people came out of nowhere and took a spot ahead of you unfairly, but that is likely not the case.

The list is trash. And what you wrote is actually the exact opposite of what actually happens. I should know - I was harassed by the list nazi's in Pomona. They threatened me by saying if I didn't write my name on this list (which they happened to tell me about HOURS after I had gotten there which meant people who knew about the list that had arrived after me were somehow now in front of me?) then I would be in the back of the line THEN they singled me out in front of the crowd saying how I believe I'm such an elite Morrissey that I don't need to sign the list because I'm sooooo special. f*** them and f*** their clique because that's what it honestly is.
I have never been to a show for any other artist or band where a list was present... because these people understand the concept of WAITING and if you can't WAIT don't come EARLY.

Not telling you off. Just stating what I went through yesterday from 9am - 8pm.

The list is trash. And what you wrote is actually the exact opposite of what actually happens. I should know - I was harassed by the list nazi's in Pomona. They threatened me by saying if I didn't write my name on this list (which they happened to tell me about HOURS after I had gotten there which meant people who knew about the list that had arrived after me were somehow now in front of me?) then I would be in the back of the line THEN they singled me out in front of the crowd saying how I believe I'm such an elite Morrissey that I don't need to sign the list because I'm sooooo special. f*** them and f*** their clique because that's what it honestly is.
I have never been to a show for any other artist or band where a list was present... because these people understand the concept of WAITING and if you can't WAIT don't come EARLY.

Did you get to touch Morrissey? :o

I promise you, it's no clique. People get put on the list in the order they arrive, whether they're liked or not. If you really honestly didn't know about the list, those people still get put in the queue in roughly the right place they arrived, if not further ahead. The list helps everyone, including you, by making sure not too many people cut in front of you and that you can leave and come back for food and bathroom breaks. We generally asked people what time they had shown up and trusted them to tell us the truth. And we knew what time most people had shown up anyways.

The people I saw complaining about the list generally ended up closer to the front of the line than they should have had they put their name on the list. Also those people had generally been seen at previous shows like Vegas where there was also a list, so they should have known about it. And I could be wrong, but I think some people complaining about the list let a bunch of their friends show up and join the line as if they'd been there all day. There were definitely some people who were near the front that were gone for many many hours and hadn't suffered for it.

The "list nazi" generally didn't kick anyone out of the line or move them all the way to the back, just talk to them and request they move back a bit to be more fair to the people who had been in the cold and rain for hours longer. Being confronted like that isn't the end of the world and sure beats having dozens of people cut in front of you.

I think generally even the people who were complaining about the list benefited greatly from it. It sure beats having no order at all and no one to help you by trying to kick out the people cutting in front of you at the last minute.

Sorry Kieran but I hope you had a great time once inside. The list in Pomona began around 7 am Sun morning but when people started to arrive Mon am it was pouring out & everyone was taking cover by the front doors & the line began to get out of line & confusing but the first 30-40 people knew where they were in line & on the list. But really a list doesn't matter after the 30th or 40th person anyway because the purpose of the list is for those that get in line first & early enough to try to ensure a spot at the barricade. And queueing for Morrissey is NOT like queuing for other bands...there definitely is A LOT more drama. :(

nice tags ;)

:popcorn:

oh shiz. I didn't do that btw. but it is slightly amusing... at least until lopez starts.:popcorn:

I made one. And I have nothing against Adam. :p

The list has worked for me the few times I was on it, 'course I never really left the line either. It's a great 'honor' system, imo. But when your # is 20-30something, you probably won't be resting your elbows on the stage anyway :o:D unless you're using them as you run inside towards the stage. ;)

Interestingly, the people that complain about the list are experts at whining and unable to suggest a better method.

The list is certainly flawed, but I am yet to hear about a better solution. All I see is whiiiine whiiiine whiiiiine.

I'm gonna have to side with Kieran on this one. I don't think it's exactly correct to tell someone "No, that didn't happen" if they're explaining they got screwed over. Of course you're going to be defending it. I believe her. Honestly, why would someone lie about that? 'Cause that shit's happened to me before. And I hate to say it, but there are definitely cliques going on. Maybe it's just not something the person running the list can control, but most definitely people in LA have a tendency to jump in front of people.

Tags
dontskipkthxbai getalifeadam havemanners! list is life name's not down not coming in obey the list!
Back
Top Bottom