Alain Whyte official twitter (new); The Experiment EP track list (4 tracks, late Dec. 2018 release)

Famous when dead added in the comments:

Um... Nobody see the YouTube blurb?
It's a bit more interesting than whether the song featured is any good or not:
"Alain Whyte.
The Experiment EP (4 tracks) on 12" black vinyl, limited 12" white vinyl, cd and digital download to be offered directly from www.alainwhytemusic.com late December 2018.
Also appearing on iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, etc. the beginning of January 2019.
***Pre-orders will tentatively be accepted between Dec. 10 through Dec. 21, 2018 For those that pre-order, included with purchase will be a one time digital download code providing access to 4 BONUS* acoustic tracks:
1. The Experiment (acoustic)
2. The Death of Rock-N-Roll (acoustic)
3. First Of The Gang To Die (acoustic)
4. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (acoustic)

*bonus tracks only available via pre-order of the EP (details will be posted shortly on alainwhytemusic.com). There is no intention of offering them separately. PLEASE feel free to share the link to this video. Also, social media sites will go live very soon and if you'd like to stay in touch and get additional updates and be the first to know about special offers, please follow:
Twitter: @alainwhytemusic
Instagram: alainwhytemusic
Facebook: Alain Whyte Music
**Thank you to ALL friends and family for your continued support.
The Experiment written & performed by Alain Whyte Video directed and filmed by Darrin Neuer Drums on The Experiment played by Dean Butterworth."

Something I will be purchasing.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t say you didn’t say that. You just seem to be of the opinion that if they’re not good at it, they shouldn’t bother trying so to spare the people who don’t like it.

That's certainly my opinion after listening to Alain's attempts here, Boomslang, various Boz side projects and Jesse Tobias, yes...

I wasn't trying to be patronising, just asking you to explain points that seemed unrelated.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was just awful! What was he thinking?!

Why on earth...?

I like Alain Whyte and would love to hear some original songs from him.

But, remaking a Morrissey song as your first single isn't a great look. And that video is truly painful. He needs to hold a guitar next time, he looks awkward as hell.

Also, I think a lot of Marr's solo work is truly wonderful. His singing voice (and Alain's) is perfectly fine. Of course they don't compare to Morrissey, but neither do 99% of the singers in popular music

What has he been doing the last 20 years? Any decent music?

Tonight, Matthew, I will be ... a budget Bono!
Doesn't fill one with optimism.
Still, would go to see him live as presumably he'd play a fair amount of the Morrissey songs he wrote...
now see I was hearing a little bono also, but I'm very interested in his version of songs 3 and 4 of course also of note Dean was killing it on drums , I'll keep my eye on this .........for now at least

I like Alain Whyte and would love to hear some original songs from him.

But, remaking a Morrissey song as your first single isn't a great look. And that video is truly painful. He needs to hold a guitar next time, he looks awkward as hell.

Also, I think a lot of Marr's solo work is truly wonderful. His singing voice (and Alain's) is perfectly fine. Of course they don't compare to Morrissey, but neither do 99% of the singers in popular music

These critics comparing Alain’s solo output to what Johnny Marr has done is just ridiculous. Some of Johnny’s work on his last few solo releases is damn good, certainly better than some of the cutting room floor drivel Morrissey has included on his last few releases. I’m a fan of both Morrissey and Marr, but hearing these baseless attacks on Marr’s releases and his personality are bizarre. I’ve been lucky enough to meet him a few times and Johnny is a gracious guy who treats his fans with respect and appreciation. His live shows are quite good too from what I’ve enjoyed so far. It ‘s OK to appreciate both Marr and Morrissey, kids.

Well..............that was....................................strange.

Good (gang) lord, this is atrocious and embarrassing. My favorite part is when you see the drone shadow on the ground.

Whyteside forever...but this a creative experiment, which even I don't like...Alain will return with better songs, teaming up with Deano for a song was the first mistake...I hope Alain, Spencer ad Gary Day will make at least an EP in the future [....]

I knew smugness would be in there. I remember some old Q&A he did where the prompt was "I never set out to..." and his response was, "write an anthem." Eek. Not one of his greater moments. The laboured efforts to elevate Matt Johnson, Barney Sumner, Isaac Brock etc above Morrissey whenever he is asked about them also stick in the craw and smack of point-scoring. I still love him though.
I think Marr elevates those who he has most enjoyed working with, and Morrissey's name isn't usually at the top of that list; especially when you considered that near the end of The Smiths, Johnny had the to endure the undignified process of recording "Work Is A Four Letter Word,"Golden Lights," and " I Keep Mine Hidden." Musically, it must have felt like he was being punished for no reason at all.

Getting the vapors over a comment such as "I never set out to write an anthem," is a bit too precious on your part. I would actually prefer it if Johnny were smug because I think he could at least add some charm to it. In Morrissey's case, it often comes across as cruel, narcissistic and entitled. I think Morrissey would benefit from trying to please more. It would take some sting off of his personality disorder, and it would be good therapy in general.

If anyone has exhausted trying to sound too deep, and pretentious, it's been Morrissey. The lyrics now swing between dull and obvious, to overwrought.

Also, let's remember that no matter what you think of either Alain, or Johnny's lyrics, there is a very good chance that they'll never write anything as bad as "Sorrow Will Come In The End,"or "Kiss Me A lot;" just to name a couple.

What's most important is, Johnny's a mature, well adjusted human being, and that's what matters most. He could write wildlife soundtracks from here on out, and he will be celebrated for his work, and who he is as a person.

The era of romanticizing, and celebrating an artist's selfish defiance, is pretty much dead. Eccentricity is no longer seen as innocent. We have too much clinical knowledge now, and we can see it for what it is. In a time when countries, and cultures were more cohesive, and hive minded, it made sense to go off the beaten path. Now, "Me Inc." is all too common. The world has enough self-absorbed people in it. We don't need to encourage more of it in those who we might admire.

I think Marr elevates those who he has most enjoyed working with, and Morrissey's name isn't usually at the top of that list; especially when you considered that near the end of The Smiths, Johnny had the to endure the undignified process of recording "Work Is A Four Letter Word,"Golden Lights," and " I Keep Mine Hidden." Musically, it must have felt like he was being punished for no reason at all.

Getting the vapors over a comment such as "I never set out to write an anthem," is a bit too precious on your part. I would actually prefer it if Johnny were smug because I think he could at least add some charm to it. In Morrissey's case, it often comes across as cruel, narcissistic and entitled. I think Morrissey would benefit from trying to please more. It would take some sting off of his personality disorder, and it would be good therapy in general.

If anyone has exhausted trying to sound too deep, and pretentious, it's been Morrissey. The lyrics now swing between dull and obvious, to overwrought.

Also, let's remember that no matter what you think of either Alain, or Johnny's lyrics, there is a very good chance that they'll never write anything as bad as "Sorrow Will Come In The End,"or "Kiss Me A lot;" just to name a couple.

What's most important is, Johnny's a mature, well adjusted human being, and that's what matters most. He could write wildlife soundtracks from here on out, and he will be celebrated for his work, and who he is as a person.

The era of romanticizing, and celebrating an artist's selfish defiance, is pretty much dead. Eccentricity is no longer seen as innocent. We have too much clinical knowledge now, and we can see it for what it is. In a time when countries, and cultures were more cohesive, and hive minded, it made sense to go off the beaten path. Now, "Me Inc." is all too common. The world has enough self-absorbed people in it. We don't need to encourage more of it in those who we might admire.

Yes, yes, yes! Agree completely! Really sick of people trying to bash Johnny Marr - by all accounts a lovely human being and a creative genius. His latest album is fantastic, a career highpoint and his latest tour is getting rave reviews.

Let's face it, Morrissey must have been a nightmare to be in a band with, despite the Smiths' incredible output. Johnny is not obligated to elevate Morrissey or defend him, why should he?

Yes, yes, yes! Agree completely! Really sick of people trying to bash Johnny Marr - by all accounts a lovely human being and a creative genius. His latest album is fantastic, a career highpoint and his latest tour is getting rave reviews.

Let's face it, Morrissey must have been a nightmare to be in a band with, despite the Smiths' incredible output. Johnny is not obligated to elevate Morrissey or defend him, why should he?

Oh, definitely; especially considering that they would have been so much more functional with a dedicated manager, instead of Morrissey 86'ing anyone who who he disagreed with only once, and forcing Johnny to be the mid-wife to a never ending string of still born handlers. He just wanted to make music; not turn the band into an ideological struggle. It would have taken pressure off of him, and it probably would have extended the life of the band, but Morrissey was destined for solo-dom from the minute the NME made him their object of their affection. Interestingly, Morrissey mostly dropped the girl group fixation when he was forced to team with Street, but that fruitful extension of The Smiths sound was also erased when he didn't pay him, and was turned off by Street's suggestion that he join him on stage.

He seems to have also erased Vini Reilly from the history books for God knows what reason, and that was another extension of The Smiths sound. Once he got some desperate yes men to back him, he finally settled in for the long term; even stating publicly that he would have rather had started with them than with The Smiths.

What disturbs me most is Johnny has gone out of his way too not delve into the tit for tat that Morrissey has engaged in regarding their history, when Johnny probably has plenty of complaints of his own. He's simply comfortable with his place in history; whereas Morrissey seems increasingly disturbed by the topic of The Smiths, and Johnny in general.

Morrissey took a series of petty swipes at Johnny in his autobiography, when it doesn't do anything for anyone. Johnny refuses to retaliate, and continues to rise above it. Some idolizers want a grudge match, or else Johnny's being too diplomatic, when there's no need to be anything but. I'm not a big fan of honest resentment. Some things are best left unsaid. It's a lost art.

Still, it seems like some of the cultists think that by denigrating Johnny that they are elevating Morrissey by proxy. There's no reason to attack Johnny. He's not spraying bullets, yet there seems to be this insecure need to reduce him.

Sometimes I think Johnny should just unload to rile the Morrissey aristocracy. He deserves it. He put up with a lot, and he was the one who built the relationship. He was treated like a rent-a-boy for his efforts, and treated as superficial for having friends.

You have actually listened to the song this thread is about, right? Or did you just watch the video with the sound turned off? (Which would be painful enough)

Alain has implied on Facebook that he intends to release a series of 3-4 song EPs over the course of the next year. He's also alluded to reworking some of his older solo material (e.g., "Baby I'm Strange") as part of this project, including a few songs that he originally recorded with Spencer and Gary between Morrissey projects in the Nineties.

What a thoughtful, considered post. Couldn't agree more.

What disturbs me most is Johnny has gone out of his way too not delve into the tit for tat that Morrissey has engaged in regarding their history, when Johnny probably has plenty of complaints of his own. He's simply comfortable with his place in history; whereas Morrissey seems increasingly disturbed by the topic of The Smiths, and Johnny in general.

Morrissey took a series of petty swipes at Johnny in his autobiography, when it doesn't do anything for anyone. Johnny refuses to retaliate, and continues to rise above it. Some idolizers want a grudge match, or else Johnny's being too diplomatic, when there's no need to be anything but. I'm not a big fan of honest resentment. Some things are best left unsaid. It's a lost art.

Agreed with most of you've said, but you've really got this the wrong way around. Johnny, by far, has been more vocal in criticising Morrissey and made his gripes about the end of the Smiths known to the world repeatedly. He stuck the knife in Moz many times (Autobiography refers to this) - and then, thankfully, grew up and stopped it. In contrast, I don't see any petty swipes against JM in Autobiog. I see honesty (about Marr having multiple faces akin to "identical triplets") but also a lot of love, a bit of possessiveness, genuine awe at Marr's musical ability and a tremendous sense of unfinished business. Who keeps letters for 25 years?

I knew smugness would be in there. I remember some old Q&A he did where the prompt was "I never set out to..." and his response was, "write an anthem." Eek. Not one of his greater moments. The laboured efforts to elevate Matt Johnson, Barney Sumner, Isaac Brock etc above Morrissey whenever he is asked about them also stick in the craw and smack of point-scoring. I still love him though.

In the case of Matt Johnson, I think Marr is spot-on to elevate him above Morrissey. However idiosyncratic Johnson might be, he is at a level marked "Genius." Comparatively, Morrissey is at a level marked "Cabaret Singer." In my humble opinion.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom