Alain Whyte on Joney's Jukebox - interview and performance

Alain chatting/jamming with Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. Fun interview, with plenty of great Morrissey stories here, plus a nice acoustic version of 'We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful' around the 20 minute mark, and a burst of 'You're The One For Me, Fatty' and 'Certain People I Know' from around 41:00.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't know his dad was Scottish,wonder what part.good lad alain.

Morrissey has (rather uncharitably IMHO) made Alain out to be a dense thicko. I don't see that in this interview, I see a rather engaging witty dude.

Morrissey has (rather uncharitably IMHO) made Alain out to be a dense thicko. I don't see that in this interview, I see a rather engaging witty dude.

Apparently, Moz thinks otherwise...

"Having rescued Alain from the mad-death of his mind-crushing job at Camden Council, he would now cross continents rather than say a hello to me. When both Nancy Sinatra and Marianne Faithfull cover songs written by Alain and I, he has nothing to say, as if it had always been his due, and as if it could so easily have happened with any other co-writer from East Finchley. ‘Where were the New York Dolls from?’ asks Alain, as he trails away. I’m so confused by the question that I can’t utter any sound by way of reply."

I enjoyed this SO much. Thanks for posting the video :)

I feel so lucky having seen Alain and Morrissey together onstage.

"Having rescued Alain from the mad-death of his mind-crushing job at Camden Council, he would now cross continents rather than say a hello to me. When both Nancy Sinatra and Marianne Faithfull cover songs written by Alain and I, he has nothing to say, as if it had always been his due, and as if it could so easily have happened with any other co-writer from East Finchley. ‘Where were the New York Dolls from?’ asks Alain, as he trails away. I’m so confused by the question that I can’t utter any sound by way of reply."
Ummm, I know, that is what I referencing.

Al seems like a cool dude.
It was kind of goofy though when he said he didn't realize that We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful was lyrically great.
All that time he spent performin' it and now he sits down with Jonesy and realizes it?
Haha. Maybe he was busy researchin' where the New York Dolls were from.

Alan does seem a little dim, and those lyrics to his recent new song were awful, but Morrissey's comments here are a bit disingenuous. Faithful covered the dismal 'Kegs between Legs' song some time after Ringleader had been released i.e. when Alain and Morrissey were no longer in touch.
Also, Alain wrote most of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall, two of Morrissey's most acclaimed albums so one could argue that it was Alan who rescued Morrissey (from his early 90's nadir).
And Morrissey, it should be 'songs written by Alain and me' ya great thicko.

"Alain is a cool Dude" anyone who says this clearly doesn't know him. As I wish I had never found out. Should have remained a fan at a blissful ignorant distance away.

True, but it did sell most in the soundscan-era, when these figures became public.
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=08/03/05/1811210

That's more than a million sold in the US alone of records Alain co-wrote.

Not even to mention the 22 million today that stream First of the Gang to Die on Spotify, Morrissey's third biggest song.
and not to mention all the videos from Arsenal that played on MTV and his appearances live on MtV.

Wonder if Alain & Johnny Marr are at all mates? How awesome would it be to sit at a pub with them as they swapped Moz stories?

He wrote a lot of nice songs, but he was so cringy here. Laughing but so NOT funny. Enjoyed the studio and Lads talk, but the bits, UGH!

Wonder if Alain & Johnny Marr are at all mates? How awesome would it be to sit at a pub with them as they swapped Moz stories?

Fek not blood likely I reckon. For whatever reason John Maher just can't make it in Moz Angeles, even though he is a much better basketball player than Al. I reckon it's an easier and cheaper life for John in Portland, Oregon. The last place Al is going to be seen is in a "pub". Try the beach or Loma Alta Park (his favouuuurite place) mate inn n nn nnn n n nn it din't in n it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom