Ally Pally 05/11/09 added

Excellant news, only a 5 minute walk for me! unlike most on here i like the venue, small but not too small

Excellant news, only a 5 minute walk for me! unlike most on here i like the venue, small but not too small

Although it is getting on for 18 years since I was in Ally Pally, small is not a word that springs to mind when I think back?

I want to get tix for this gig but can someone please explain what's wrong with the venue? From the photos I've seen of it recently, it looks alright. Is it the size, or the sound or something else?

Thinking of that...Christmas gigs would be nice! Knowing Moz he'll probably announce a couple - after all the November gigs :lbf:

Do you reckon this will be another £40 (including booking, postage fees) ticket? If so, considering I am completely skint atm and won't be starting my job until september, what's the chance of waiting a couple of months and being able to get a ticket for £20 like happened with the Brixton shows, and what would you advise? :confused:

Do you reckon this will be another £40 (including booking, postage fees) ticket? If so, considering I am completely skint atm and won't be starting my job until september, what's the chance of waiting a couple of months and being able to get a ticket for £20 like happened with the Brixton shows, and what would you advise? :confused:

Prob will still be around £40 on the internet sites. Sometimes it is hard to tell but I think you should be ok waiting for AP tixs nearer the time.

i was at Stirling Albert Halls which was supposed to be sold out but there were some tixs on sale both with touts (grr) and the box office on the night.

I was also at the Academy in Glasgow 2 years ago to see Morrissey and had a spare tix as one of my kids was ill and I gave it away to an obvious Moz fan ... it made me feel all Noel Edmondsey at Christmastime.:blushing: :barf:

I want to get tix for this gig but can someone please explain what's wrong with the venue? From the photos I've seen of it recently, it looks alright. Is it the size, or the sound or something else?
It's gigantic. Seriously I've never seen a longer indoor venue in my life. It's longer than it is wide, which is a serious problem in terms of acoustics. If your anywhere further back than the first 15 or so rows, the sound is terrible.

Also, the stage is elevated and very far away from the barrier- so very little chance of a handshake from Mr Moz.

In addition it is a pain to get to via public transport.

I've been to classic car shows at Ally Pally but never a gig. Always seems a pain to get to plus it's not really a music venue as such. Moz obviously likes it.

it's a beautiful venue, but the sound is terrible.

I'll be giving this one a miss, crap venue and a pain to get home from.

I'd say the same for Brixton. It look's nice but has the muddiest P.A. I've ever heard for a venue of that calibre. Much compare the Apollo in Manchester for that sort of size and quality.

I'd say the same for Brixton. It look's nice but has the muddiest P.A. I've ever heard for a venue of that calibre. Much compare the Apollo in Manchester for that sort of size and quality.

Got em! Fairly unstressful. A whopping £81.95 all in from ticketmaster. They really get you on the fees don't they, f8ckers! Right then. Off to work!

muddy is exactly the word my husband used to describe the sound at brixton the other night, though I wondered if it was due to where we were stood more.

advantage of brixton is it takes me half an hour to get home :D

I see Ticketmaster are listing 'American Express Preferred Seating' tickets as well as normal standing ones.
What's the deal with these? I thought Ally Pally was all standing? Or are the first few rows going to be reserved for these American Express ones?

I imagine that those tickets are for the elevated stage area that Alexandra Palace often sets up. At an angle, close to the right of the stage.
I suppose that there must be a demand for it. As others have correctly stated, it's a long, thin venue. So, there is less of a chance of getting a clear(ish) view. Unless you are sat on a plastic school chair, on a shabby plywood staged section, surrounded by scaffold poles. Whilst everyone else wonders who the Hell you are to be sat up there....

Don't go for the seating there. I saw Bloc Party at this venue and they had an elevated platform set up on the left hand side of the venue about a quarter-half of the way back from the stage....I can only imagine how poor the view must have been. The seats were fold down plastic ones too.

im looking forward to this one

Same here. Not got my tickets yet, but after seeing my first Mozza gig at Brixton a few weeks ago, i'll be getting them asap.

I was speaking to a friend today who said he went to a brilliant gig at Ally Pally. I'll probably be there for the darts the month after as well :).

Back
Top Bottom