ARCANE OLD WARDROBE ends its run

Announcement from The Comtesse DeSpair:

I started Smiths Presumably Forever Ill and Motor Cycle Au Pair Boy (grouped together under the banner 'The Arcane Old Wardrobe') back in 1996. The sites were intended as a labor of love to share with other fans the articles and images I had ravenously collected since I first became a Smiths Apostle in 1984. Over the years, I've heard from many fans who expressed their appreciation for my little contribution to Moz fandom, and I have always held those kind words close to my heart.

However, it's time for me to admit that I don't have the energy or dedication to carry the torch of fandom any longer, or to keep this site remotely updated, and to turn over the reigns to those who do. I will be combining the interviews, reviews, and quotations from the site into Passions Just Like Mine. A new consolidated image gallery is also in the works, so don't despair. There is nothing here that won't be found out there, somewhere, eventually. And if you're on Facebook, I will still be running the Morrissey In Quotes Facebook page indefinitely.

Thank you to everyone who supported the site, assisted me by contributing articles/scans and transcribing interviews, and provided kind words over the last 17 years.

Yours In Smithdom,
The Comtesse DeSpair

P.S. I will leave the galleries up until November 2nd, so that you can grab any pics you'd like before they come down.

Smiths Gallery: http://foreverill.com/gallery/
Moz-solo Gallery: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/gallery/

Thanks Comtesse. I couldn't begin to count the hours I have logged on your sites throughout the years. :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Her sites were the places I went to online to check out pics and read about Morrissey and The Smiths when I first became a fan. Even printed many of those articles and still have them to this day. Glad that all her hard work will be preserved at PJLM.

I remember printing many a picture whilst I was at school to take home and hang on my bedroom wall from this site, thanks for that Comtesse. :bow:

Another person so disgusted at the person who wrote the autobiography that they don't want to stay around celebrating him anymore? Bad writing, a bad attitude, and a bad character. Was Judge Weeks really so wrong?

Thanks so much Comtesse.I`ve spent so much time on those sites.I very much appreciate your dedication.Thanks for everything!!!

One time I described a Morrissey poster I had hanging in my bedroom as a teenager wanting to see the image again and within 20 minutes she found it. She's like the human google image search for Morrissey pics. Thank you Comtesse. :flowers:

It's always been a very amazing site. The knowledge of it ending is very saddening :(

Another person so disgusted at the person who wrote the autobiography that they don't want to stay around celebrating him anymore? Bad writing, a bad attitude, and a bad character. Was Judge Weeks really so wrong?

Ah "the penguin classic" :rofl:

I enjoyed the site very much and visited many times. I never said thank you. I am sure there are thousands more who would say the same thing. Thank you! Well done.

Another person so disgusted with Morrissey, that they spend their time on Morrisey-Solo... pathetic

Another person so disgusted with Morrissey, that they spend their time on Morrisey-Solo... pathetic

After the years of trolling other famous people in interviews, dismissing the mass murder of children at concerts, personally abusing overweight people in his book and generally exhibiting bitterness, rudeness and an almost psychotic need to blame everyone else for his failure to become as big as Madonna, also demonstrating paranoia, haughty disregard and a lack of insight into his severe narcissism, Morrissey has in effect worked as a professional troll for a long time now; in fact since about 1990.

A little ironic, then, that he's so angry at criticism of his session musicians on this site - he criticised his own session musicians in interviews and the book, at least the ones employed in the early 90s - and personal criticism directed against his chubbiness and personal qualities. Yet he treats them as session musos, not me. He gets rid without informing. He chops and changes. He derides drummers and bassists in court cases. And as for his personal qualities, the nastiness is there for all to see in the book, as it is in a stream of interviews. He radiates cruelty and spite. Only the utter cult members would defend some of his more recent comments. Like you, for example.

The reasons so many people visit this site to insult Morrissey is that, actually, he has become contemptible, hypocritical and a parody of himself. The fact that he is a bad writer only compounds it all and makes him look ridiculous.

The book is so bad that it wouldn't have been published at all without his name attached. It's amateurish.

As for the closure of the site, I doubt the timing is coincidental.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom