Art-hounds - Album or Live?

• Total voters

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
Which version do you prefer?

After just reassessing the live version, I prefer it:

Last edited by a moderator:
The live version isn't the best quality in the world, but I did fall absolutely in love with the song based on those youtube videos. It's still my favorite track from the World Peace era, but I was a tiny tad bit disappointed with studio version the first time I heard it. Though it quickly grew on me.

I guess what colored my reaction the first time I heard the studio version was the flamenco introduction--which I thought the entire song was going to be in that style and I just thought "NNNOOOOOO WHAT HAS HE DONE!"

I guess what colored my reaction the first time I heard the studio version was the flamenco introduction--which I thought the entire song was going to be in that style and I just thought "NNNOOOOOO WHAT HAS HE DONE!"
I found the intro a bit jarring at first, too. I guess because it's in such sharp stylistic contrast to the rest of the song. But it grew on me as well and now I like the friction it creates. Also, not to be "that guy," but the intro is very much in the vein of 1920s/30s swing and big band and does not really resemble flamenco except in its use of horns. It actually reminds me a lot of the beginning of "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_YG9XBX04Y

As for the rest of the song, while I love the punch of the live version, the recorded version tops it for me. The crystal-clear production and separation of the instruments, the operatic strings, the ghostly, lilting vocal towards the end....so good.

Last edited:
Album by a country mile.
Had you asked about Bullfighter...

As for the rest of the song, while I love the punch of the live version, the recorded version tops it for me. The crystal-clear production and separation of the instruments, the operatic strings, the ghostly, lilting vocal towards the end....so good.

Agreed. The echo effects on the toms at the end are what the drums on the recorded version of "Speedway" should have sounded like. However, the synth strings, as often is the case, remain the rub.

thanks detritus cause i was soon gonna be that guy. also the drums on speedway are the best part of that song aside, slightly, from the massive hook

Should have been a single. Craps on most of WPINOYB and displays characteristic vitriol and humour. A lost opportunity.

P.

Copycat

Live was SO much better. Also, as someone who was at that Brixton gig, in the flesh it was even more powerful than you can hear on these youtube recordings.

For some reason, all the oomph and power of the guitars has been muted in the studio version. It's similar to what happened (albeit an even more extreme example ) when 'Mexico' was transformed from a kick-ass live song into something rather limp-wristed on record.

All they needed to do in studio for 'Art-hounds' was turn all the amps up to 11, and hit 'record', but for some reason they wussed out on it. It's still a good song, but it could have been great.

Should have been a single. Craps on most of WPINOYB and displays characteristic vitriol and humour. A lost opportunity.

P.

I agree with this.

Having said that, I greatly prefer the live arrangement.

And I still wish he'd changed the Aunt Mabel part.

But yeah, one of the best songs he's ever done.

P.

Very very true. And his wailing on the live seems have disappeared on the studio.

I found the intro a bit jarring at first, too. I guess because it's in such sharp stylistic contrast to the rest of the song. But it grew on me as well and now I like the friction it creates. Also, not to be "that guy," but the intro is very much in the vein of 1920s/30s swing and big band and does not really resemble flamenco except in its use of horns. It actually reminds me a lot of the beginning of "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_YG9XBX04Y

No, please be that guy. I know next to nothing about flamenco music so I was really grasping at straws with that comment. I do hear the big band/swing sound to it and that makes sense.

Thanks!:thumb:

P.

There a lot of missed opportunities for singles. That seems to be the story of Morrissey's solo career.

However, it is unquestionably Morrissey's best song in...along time. And I do agree with you that it is the most "characteristically" Morrissey song in sometime. I think lyrically its almost up there with his better works--I agree with someone else the "fat Aunt Mabel" comment brings it down a notch, as does the "shriveled and small." But other moments are solid gold. "Very funny, very witty, very lonely" and "Art hounds see the Greek ideal and gaze on what they'll never feel" come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom