Autobiography - legal action?

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Hearing rumours via Twitter that there may be a couple of people taking legal action regarding content of autobiography.

P.

Oh really,like who?

Suing for defamation surely. Gosh I'm not surprised in the slightest but Morrissey has a big ring binder with letters and emails in it so I would be careful if I were them.

Suing for defamation surely. Gosh I'm not surprised in the slightest but Morrissey has a big ring binder with letters and emails in it so I would be careful if I were them.

If it were published in the US there would probably be no law suit. People take advantage of the English libel and slander laws. It is so much harder to prove defamation of character in the US courts. The English laws need revised, imo. Many books aren't published in the UK for this very reason, unfortunately. Penguin Books has to be much more cautious about publishing content than an American publishing house does. But... of course Morrissey being British, would choose a British publisher. Imagine the controvery that would ensue if he hadn't.

If it were published in the US there would probably be no law suit. People take advantage of the English libel and slander laws. It is so much harder to prove defamation of character in the US courts. The English laws need revised, imo. Many books aren't published in the UK for this very reason, unfortunately. Penguin Books has to be much more cautious about publishing content than an American publishing house does. But... of course Morrissey being British, would choose a British publisher. Imagine the controvery that would ensue if he hadn't.

It's bad enough that he chose to spell many verbs with a 'z' as opposed to an 's'.
He used to care about these things.

It's bad enough that he chose to spell many verbs with a 'z' as opposed to an 's'.
He used to care about these things.

Yeah. I can see how this is bothersome to some/many/all Brits who treasure Moz as an English icon. I am certain the editor is aware of this idiosyncrasy. I think Moz is as well. I don't believe it is an oversight. Perhaps he is making a statement. He is British at heart but a part of him is American. He has resided here for many years and visited at least four times in his pre-Smiths days. So he obviously feels affiliated with the place. Christopher Hitchens was the same. And English Gentleman in love with America. Just a thought.

Yeah. I can see how this is bothersome to some/many/all Brits who treasure Moz as an English icon. I am certain the editor is aware of this idiosyncrasy.

To be honest, it doesn't read to me as if the text has been edited AT ALL, as these things would be very easy to amend for UK publication. Had an editor gone through this manuscript, I'm sure they would have fixed the typos (which are evident even on the 1st page), and tidied up some of the glaring present/past tense clashes (particularly when Morrissey manages to get so mangled he sometimes attempts both in the same sentence).

To be honest, it doesn't read to me as if the text has been edited AT ALL, as these things would be very easy to amend for UK publication. Had an editor gone through this manuscript, I'm sure they would have fixed the typos (which are evident even on the 1st page), and tidied up some of the glaring present/past tense clashes (particularly when Morrissey manages to get so mangled he sometimes attempts both in the same sentence).

Was just reading something about this... American publishers often Americanize the text when publishing British Imports. However, their British equivalents do not Anglicize American imports as frequently. So it DOES seem to be an issue about where the book is published and not who wrote it. The focus being the targeted audience. Maybe if it were published in both the UK and US simultaneously, or close to the same time, or even a guarantee of a US publication, then there would/should be two distinct versions. If there is no plan to publish in the US, maybe the spelling mashup was a compromise of sorts to please both British and American readers? I'm only guessing here.

I have to admit that I did not notice any of these spelling patterns. Of course I am not all that detail oriented. But if I noticed them I know that they would not bother me. However, when I read the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy I did notice that most words used the British spelling despite the fact that the books were written in the first person voice of an American girl. Haha. A bit unusual... but it did not irritate me. I got use to it.

Theres allways someone ready 2 drag someone thru the courts isnt there!

Morrissey has already been there done that when mike joyce sued him in court, "allegedly", for unpaid royalties on the smiths songs ect.

If morissey has told the truth in his book, which we can assume he has, he should have nothing 2 worry about!
Its not a crime 2 tell the truth!
Having said that, in the courts of "justice" we encounter so much injustice!!

Ive said this before and will say it again, the only real attribute you need 2 be a good advocate, is 2 be a very good and convincing liar!!! :(
And I know from bitter experience when they tried 2 assassinate my own good character in the divorse courts years ago ! :(

Last edited:
I believe Morrissey's use of the American spelling is a deliberate ploy which he knows will further wind up his detractors. Perhaps he believes the Americanized z (sic) reads better than the Anglicised s and underlines his refusal to play by normal rules?
I found it rather annoying, as a reader normally scans five to six words in front of the actual word being read the numerous usage of z causes a certain amount of personal disappointment.
Plus the fact I'm reading it on an e-book as I'm on holiday. 24 deg C and sunny today. Like every other day

Last edited:
I took found it really irritating that color isn't colour and glamor isn't glamour etc - it seemed strange for a British writer to be doing for a book released in the UK

I think the spelling thing is just about Morrissey wanting to show that his book isn't aimed particularly at the British market.

I took found it really irritating that color isn't colour and glamor isn't glamour etc - it seemed strange for a British writer to be doing for a book released in the UK

Do you seriously imagine anyone bothered to proof-read this drivel? They were too busy with their profit spreadsheets. Morrissey is NOT a serious author. And Penguin have reduced themselves to ridicule.

Do you seriously imagine anyone bothered to proof-read this drivel? They were too busy with their profit spreadsheets. Morrissey is NOT a serious author. And Penguin have reduced themselves to ridicule.

Why dont you just shut the f*** up?!

Morrissey is NOT a serious author. And Penguin have reduced themselves to ridicule.

If Morrissey wrote a second book, a lot of people would buy it. He's a serious author now. That's how it works in the book world.

Well I have just proof read your comment and just rated it zilch-

Back
Top Bottom