"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
A-listed on both Radio 2 and Radio 6, his biggest radio hit since You Have Killed Me. Fact.

Wow, a radio hit, make sure you edit Wikipedia to make sure that everyone knows Morrissey had a massive radio hit. Meanwhile back in the, where did it land in the charts?

A-listed on both Radio 2 and Radio 6, his biggest radio hit since You Have Killed Me. Fact.

It got a lot more air play than YHKM. It was the most since First of the Gang (received about an equal amount) although the song wasn't as good.

For the umpteenth time, artists from Morrissey’s era don’t chart, it’s for young people who stream etc. When was the last chart hit from U2, R.E.M. or The Cure? Exactly.
Doesn’t mean they weren’t radio hits.
Different target groups etc.

Wow, a radio hit, make sure you edit Wikipedia to make sure that everyone knows Morrissey had a massive radio hit. Meanwhile back in the, where did it land in the charts?

So, why are you here?

You know who I am!
I thought you Portland Antifa's had been rounded up and sent to the border to feed the migrant caravan. I hear they prefer fresh meat from living humans being the cannibals they are.
I cannot wait until Trump gives orders to bomb Portland to pieces or makes the military to "accidentally" drop a bomb or two on the place.
What a shithole that place is and the cops show on tv makes me wonder if Portland can even be considered american.
I thought you was dead agin

Lovely cover of a great song, with a nod to Johnny. Seems like he's in a good place. Love the guitar-miming.

Based on....

Morrissey cultists are like Scientologists.

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Morrissey, and the Word was Morrissey. 2 The Word was with Morrissey in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light that never goes out. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 Morrissey was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the NME did not recognize him.

We are not like the crazy Scientologists... we are by far worse! :D

morrissey.jpg

MORRISSEY LIVES FOR YOUR SINS!

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Morrissey, and the Word was Morrissey. 2 The Word was with Morrissey in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light that never goes out. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 Morrissey was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the NME did not recognize him.

We are not like the crazy Scientologists... we are by far worse! :D

morrissey.jpg

MORRISSEY LIVES FOR YOUR SINS!

Oh my... Oh my. :eek:

Based on....

Oh Neal, you've cracked it! Well spotted. I knew it wasn't supposed to be TOTP (as some said), it looks nothing like it. Trippy female dancer: tick; posters on the wall: tick; singer who couldn't play guitar miming playing guitar: tick. At least he had the good sense to leave out the weird chick in the bowler hat.

Oh Neal, you've cracked it! Well spotted. I knew it wasn't supposed to be TOTP (as some said), it looks nothing like it. Trippy female dancer: tick; posters on the wall: tick; singer who couldn't play guitar miming playing guitar: tick. At least he had the good sense to leave out the weird chick in the bowler hat.

Steve Ellis can't play guitar?
Alan Bennett should've played the chick in the bowler hat.

To be fair, I don't know if he can or not... but from having a quick trawl, it doesn't look like it. He's listed pretty much everywhere as just 'vocalist'.
Oh, anything that involves more of Alan Bennett, doing anything at all, is a bonus in my book.

Oh wait, wasn´t Alan Bennett invited to take part in one of the new videos? I thought it was for Spent the day in bed. But maybe Moz had this vid in mind?

Oh wait, wasn´t Alan Bennett invited to take part in one of the new videos? I thought it was for Spent the day in bed. But maybe Moz had this vid in mind?

It was for Spent. Moz was supposed to be ill in bed, and Bennett was supposed to be one of his visitors.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom