"Back On The Chain Gang" single - UK release date announcement imminent

New Morrissey single release is imminent.

Confirmed via Morrissey Central. Song entitled: Back on the Chain Gang

Link:

Forthcoming UK single - Morrissey Central
August 25, 2018

44031_20180825_155650.jpg

Release date announcement imminent.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not rate any of his covers?
No, I really can't think of one I like. I often like his choice of songs, but a great cover should make you go, 'Oh, great cover', but his are mostly just a bit 'Meh'. They're just a bit workmanlike, and not adding anything other than it's Morrissey singing it.

Great quote, and it might explain (for me) why I feel many of Morrissey's covers are so lacklustre. He's just going through the motions because he's not feeling the words, since they're not his. (That's not to say we should let the band off the hook, mind you).

skin storm is great , thats entertainment is great , song for under the floorboards is great , Interlude is divine .... the recent covers are cheesy n naff but the earlier choices were on the button .... i think .

Moz has wilfully alienated himself from the music buying majority that an album of cover versions out for the xmas present buyers market will not resurrect his career I'm afraid. The same old dwindling bunch of sycophants will still buy it (including me) and thats it.

Sam Strikes Again (I strongly suspect). No self-respecting designer would turn in such a dog's breakfast... surely?
What do you mean Sam strikes again? When did he actually do a sleeve? None of the LIHS covers are his. Did I miss something?

"East West", bloody awful.

What do you mean Sam strikes again? When did he actually do a sleeve? None of the LIHS covers are his. Did I miss something?
I'm only speculating, because I cannot for the life of me think of any other explanation. I cannot see how a professional designer would put their name to this. Didn't Sam mock up another sleeve, and when people rubbished it on social media he said 'Of course it's not the actual sleeve' (or something)?

I like his Jam cover That's Entertainment but I was a fan of the Jam but not keen on Style Council. His live cover of Human Being New York Dolls was v good but then I'm not familiar with the original. My personal favourite cover is The Black Crowes cover of Oh Sweet Nuthin tribute to Lou Reed.

Very true, but then that's pretty much the case with all covers out there. There are very few covers that are actually better than the originals. Can't think of a single one, to be honest.

BTW, have you heard perpetual teenager Cher slaughter Abba's Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)? Criminal.
I would tend to agree, although Johnny Cash did a few I actually prefer: Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode), I Hung My Head (Sting - also does away with annoying time sig). The Beast in Me (Nick Lowe) is also pretty good. Madness's It Must Be Love completely overshadows Labi Siffri's original. And the Rufus Wainwright Hallelujah is the definitive version for me (sorry Leonard).

No, I haven't heard Cher's Gimme Gimme Gimme but can well imagine the horror as I went to see MM2 in the cinema :straightface:

Chain gang was a bit of a meh song originally so not sure if it's a good choice for a cover single release?

See some of my favorite icons are my generation's feminist icons. Progress.

I have pictures on my albums to prove it. I'm inoculated from your skepticism. Did you see the pictures of black people I posted on my website? Did you see the carefully placed feminist book behind me during my state of the union address?

By the way, are you aware of one of my most feminist songs, "Kick The Bride Down The Isle?" It's a counterpoint to my other most feminist song "All The Lazy Dykes;" which is a counterpoint to my third place feminist song, "Pretty Girls Make Graves." Of course that led to my most famous feminist song of all time: "You're The One For me Fatty" and its sister song celebrating the hilarious struggles of single motherhood called "Pregnant For The last Time."

All honoring womanhood in its varying degrees.

You're welcome.

skin storm is great , thats entertainment is great , song for under the floorboards is great , Interlude is divine .... the recent covers are cheesy n naff but the earlier choices were on the button .... i think .

Moz has wilfully alienated himself from the music buying majority that an album of cover versions out for the xmas present buyers market will not resurrect his career I'm afraid. The same old dwindling bunch of sycophants will still buy it (including me) and thats it.
Well, it's all subjective. I think Skin Storm is okay, That's Entertainment is boring and misses the point of the original, Song For Under The Floorboards is okay, Interlude is a divine arrangement and a lovely song but a really weird vocal pairing IMO - they didn't exactly sound like a couple in love, more like two people who wanted to poison each other, although that's hardly surprising :lbf: But I would agree these earlier ones are better than the current crop, which seem to lack much thought or effort.

I would also agree that a new album of covers is unlikely to attract lots of new listeners, but I'm still intrigued to see what he will pick (if indeed it is a covers album). To me, that's almost more interesting than hearing the songs - which I doubt will have well-worked, interesting arrangements. We can but hope, though.

I'm only speculating, because I cannot for the life of me think of any other explanation. I cannot see how a professional designer would put their name to this. Didn't Sam mock up another sleeve, and when people rubbished it on social media he said 'Of course it's not the actual sleeve' (or something)?
Was that the black and white sleeve for WPINOYB?

Was that the black and white sleeve for WPINOYB?
Oh, I don't know about that. I was thinking of one of the current crop from the LIHS era. There was definitely one (I think this year) which Sam revealed and then had to back track and say it wasn't the final cover.

No, I really can't think of one I like. I often like his choice of songs, but a great cover should make you go, 'Oh, great cover', but his are mostly just a bit 'Meh'. They're just a bit workmanlike, and not adding anything other than it's Morrissey singing it.

Exactly. That's why I prefer his covers of the songs I do not know. Since to the familiar songs he adds nothing but his voice.

Oh, I don't know about that. I was thinking of one of the current crop from the LIHS era. There was definitely one (I think this year) which Sam revealed and then had to back track and say it wasn't the final cover.

Wasn't that the "cover" that was with the Chain Gang single announcement in the spring?

Wasn't that the "cover" that was with the Chain Gang single announcement in the spring?
It could well have been. So Sam's ''obviously that's not the proper cover' protestations could have just meant 'I'm still tinkering with it'. I admit it would be odd for Sam to be designing record sleeves, but then Morrissey used to do it, so it's maybe not so odd. Maybe Morrissey is looking to save money :lbf:

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom