"Back On The Chain Gang" sleeve posted on Rough Trade

Now showing on (both including sleeve as already seen):

20180930_121202.jpg

Site blurb:
"Morrissey's Back on the Chain Gang. Available here on 7".
As the lead singer of the Smiths, arguably the most important indie band in Britain during the '80s, Morrissey's theatrical crooning and literate, poetic lyrics -- filled with romantic angst, social alienation, and cutting wit -- connected powerfully with a legion of similarly sensitive, disaffected youth. These fans turned the Smiths into stars in Britain, exerting tremendous pull over much of the country's guitar-based music for many years after their breakup, and even if the group remained underground cult artists in the States, they had a fan base that slowly, steadily grew larger over the years."

$10.99 via Rough Trade (US).

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/music/morrissey-back-on-the-chain-gang

20180930_121850.jpg

Site blurb:

"Morrissey presents a 7-inch single release of his cover of "Back On The Chain Gang," originally written by Chrissie Hynde and released by The Pretenders in 1982. It was recorded at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles, CA with Joe Chiccarelli, who produced Moz's last two albums World Peace Is None of Your Business and Low in High School, and features backing by Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Roger Manning (keyboards). It's joined here by a live version of "I Didn't Know What to Do" on the B-side."

$9.99 via Music Direct (US).
https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/Morrissey-Back-on-the-Chain-Gang-(Vinyl-7)

Regards,
FWD.

44453_Morrissey_Back_On.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Said it a couple of years ago but the issue is not Sam's ideas -- arguable -- but the execution. Graphic design is not as deep as its made out to be (typeface gurus have to be some of the most anal people on the planet), but it's far from something you whip up and put alongside professional work. I don't like the title on the cheek, but maybe it was contoured to her face as if she'd been branded it might work(?)
Back in the day even SPM worked with a designer when he chose images, how to crop them, typefaces and colors.
In that minor documentary The Jewel in the Crown they interview the sleeve designer for Southpaw Grammar, lol.

The two very important and beautiful things: 1. Morrissey's tribute to Germaine Greer. Why is she important? She makes the differentiation between equality (Impossible thing) and Freedom for all (=Why should women want to equal men? men themselves are imprisoned)(+men and women are different, let's start from that). 2. Morrissy'e tribute to Chrissie Hynde, a strong person, woman, unique creator, leader, honest, down-to-earth-sublime-artist(and of course vegetarian and animal activist). As usual, Morrissey is pointing us towards these cultural hero's for us to engage in what they had been producing into our culture for decades. He has always done that, and it's absolutely admirable and undervalued. Before you say anything about the good or not so good graphics, please write a 1000 words essay about the contribution of this great giant. These great giants. Please be appreciative.

There are so many great Ted moments.

I read here (so it must be true) that rather than poor ticket sales the issue was that there was a difference of opinion and a couple of them just walked off the tour. I don’t know if it’s true, but it doesn’t sound too far fetched.

I do know that the last time I looked just before the cancellation my local venue had sixteen tickets available of three thousand. Of course the other two thousand nine hundred and eight-four could all have been on Viagogo, but sold is sold.

I expect we will find out shortly when the next tour kicks off. I suppose we could take it in turns to stake out that record shop in Camden to see if Boz is there instead of rehearsing.

Can you do the first month, Peppermint? I’m busy... errrr... thinking of excuses not to go.
Sadly I live nowhere near London, otherwise, obviously, I would.

It's an interesting theory. If it were true, one could speculate that they've been wooed back by the promise of Morrissey shutting his gob, since things have been quite quiet on the Alt-Right front lately. He didn't even turn up at the For Britain conference, they had to make do with Katie Hopkins. Time, as they say, will tell.

Said it a couple of years ago but the issue is not Sam's ideas -- arguable -- but the execution. Graphic design is not as deep as its made out to be (typeface gurus have to be some of the most anal people on the planet), but it's far from something you whip up and put alongside professional work. I don't like the title on the cheek, but maybe it was contoured to her face as if she'd been branded it might work(?)
Back in the day even SPM worked with a designer when he chose images, how to crop them, typefaces and colors.
In that minor documentary The Jewel in the Crown they interview the sleeve designer for Southpaw Grammar, lol.
Exactly. I've worked alongside graphic designers for 30 years. You can knock something up yourself and think, that doesn't look too bad, but then they take it and tweak it and suddenly the whole thing looks 100 times better. That's the difference. And you're right, Moz worked with Jo Slee (and presumably others) on sleeves for years.

f***ing hell. amateur "graphic design" this is the most horrendous cover design I've ever seen.
there's clearly no quality control going on
i guess that explains the mediocre lyrics, ho-hum muzak.
anything will do.

What complete and utter GARBAGE. The qualite, layout and design are perfectly suited to the version.

Bunch of low-expectation-having twats around here, huh?

What complete and utter GARBAGE. The qualite, layout and design are perfectly suited to the version.

Bunch of low-expectation-having twats around here, huh?

DramaJ, good evening, its "quality".o_O

DramaJ, good evening, its "quality".o_O
The KING of remedial English and emojis is calling me out on a type-o?

You're the last person that should be commenting on language issues, li'l fella.

Your mom's calling you. Your canned spaghetti is ready. ...and she needs her laptop back. f***ing LOSER.

He’s off the chain gang. Actually I thought there were rumours that Morrissey’s Britain First support had driven a couple of the band regulars to decamp causing the logistical issues cited for the tour cancellation.

The KING of remedial English and emojis is calling me out on a type-o?

You're the last person that should be commenting on language issues, li'l fella.

Your mom's calling you. Your canned spaghetti is ready. ...and she needs her laptop back. f***ing LOSER.

DramaJ put the kabosh on the hysterics FFS. When you type, take note of the fact you are not
'singing' dont try to type words phonetically as if you were up there butchering Moz songs.:lbf:

L-I-G-H-T. good? dont type in l-o-i-g-h-t:rolleyes:

Where is the confirmation Sam did this sleeve? Other than conjecture I don't see any proof yet.

Where is the confirmation Sam did this sleeve? Other than conjecture I don't see any proof yet.
There is none. I freely admit, it was pure conjecture (based on his past efforts/increasing involvement in promo material/poor standard of artwork).

There is none. I freely admit, it was pure conjecture (based on his past efforts/increasing involvement in promo material/poor standard of artwork).

:rolleyes:
O brother, based on conjecture instead of her usual rocket science.:guitar:

No worries. I was just asking. I wasn't sure either way. I don't know who did the the other LIHS sleeves. There was no credit on them.

No worries. I was just asking. I wasn't sure either way. I don't know who did the the other LIHS sleeves. There was no credit on them.
Yes, not sure if that's revealing or not. You would think if Sam actually did them he would want his name all over it.

Does anyone else notice this photo of Germaine Greer resembles the artist LP who duets with Mr. M on the upcoming record?

The two very important and beautiful things: 1. Morrissey's tribute to Germaine Greer. Why is she important? She makes the differentiation between equality (Impossible thing) and Freedom for all (=Why should women want to equal men? men themselves are imprisoned)(+men and women are different, let's start from that). 2. Morrissy'e tribute to Chrissie Hynde, a strong person, woman, unique creator, leader, honest, down-to-earth-sublime-artist(and of course vegetarian and animal activist). As usual, Morrissey is pointing us towards these cultural hero's for us to engage in what they had been producing into our culture for decades. He has always done that, and it's absolutely admirable and undervalued. Before you say anything about the good or not so good graphics, please write a 1000 words essay about the contribution of this great giant. These great giants. Please be appreciative.
Morrissey cites and capitalizes on the good-doings of others for 2 reasons:
1. You'll buy a shitty pressing of a horrible cover song.
2. You'll buy a shitty pressing of a horrible cover-song - despite the awful hack-job - because of the brilliance of some other person's ample social and philosophical contributions.

Nothing here has ANYTHING to do with Morrissey. This f***ing clown steals his cashmere off the backs of real people, who've made REAL contributions to humanity.

Where I come from, we refer to people like that as selfish, try-hard hacks. The thoughtfulness of others, raped for personal gain. ...and underneath, hypocrisy gurgles and spews in its reprehensible cauldron of toddleresque bile.

What we have here are tiny minds, drinking the Kool-aid of a spoon-fed wanker who's - somehow - evaded the righteous shit-kicking he so richly deserves.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom