Best debut album

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
What do people think is the best debut album by a new band?

My top 10 picks would be obviously The Smiths, The Killers (but I think everything else they’ve done is quite shit), REM, The Strokes, Electronic, Oasis, Gene, Editors, The Beautiful South & Pet Shop Boys. Probably not in that order. But I don’t know what order they would be in.

A cupla debut album's that came out roundabout the same time as each other that I really rate are Doves 'The Last Broadcast' & Coldplay's 'Parachutes'. Coldplay bit by bit lost my interest tho. Gene's 'Olympian' is great too.

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

A cupla debut album's that came out roundabout the same time as each other that I really rate are Doves 'The Last Broadcast' & Coldplay's 'Parachutes'. Coldplay bit by bit lost my interest tho. Gene's 'Olympian' is great too.
Olympian is great album, and Gene a really underated & forgotten band. They just got lost in the mid-90s britpop explosion. And Martin Rossiter was a bit of a knobhead to be fair. Mind you,so was Liam Gallagher.

Olympian is great album, and Gene a really underated & forgotten band. They just got lost in the mid-90s britpop explosion. And Martin Rossiter was a bit of a knobhead to be fair. Mind you,so was Liam Gallagher.
Martin R. lost my respect when he wrote a really nasty online piece on Morrissey a few years back. They have a great discography and I saw them live several times & the gigs were excellant but Martin kinda blew it for me.
Never liked Oasis at the start because of their scummy attitude, f'n this and f'n that, two fingers up at every opportunity. I grew to appreciate the tunes but would never cite them as being a favourite band.

One of my favourites which I still listen to regularly, I alluded to it in another thread;
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (debuted 2006), which was followed up by another excellent album, Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007). I think they both went straight in at @ No.1, as most of their albums did/do.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favourites which I still listen to regularly, I alluded to it in another thread;
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (debuted 2006), which was followed up by another excellent album, Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007). I think they both went straight in at @ No.1, as most of their albums did.
You know when Arctic Monkeys first surfaced I thought it was Russ Abbott on lead vocals, I thought Alex Turner sang with a really exaggerated accent and never took to them because of that, they have had some catchy singles to be fair.

I know she's not a 'band' but Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (1978) is such a wonderful & beautiful debut album
Hard-Fi - Stars Of CCTV (2005) - love that album
Royal Blood - Royal Blood (2014) - stonking debut album

You know when Arctic Monkeys first surfaced I thought it was Russ Abbott on lead vocals, I thought Alex Turner sang with a really exaggerated accent and never took to them because of that, they have had some catchy singles to be fair.
He's from South Yorkshire (Sheffield) and they all talk like that. If you know the vernacular it helps with understanding what he's singing/talking about. I think he's a really talented guy, musically, and especially lyrically...plus his delivery is exceptional. Clever chap, despite being from Sheff. :cool:

Yeah I understand the accent thing from different regions but it seemed like he was really pushing that when singing, perhaps it was deliberate but I just found it funny listening to him.

Some of my fav debut albums....

ABC - The Lexicon of Love
Suede - Suede
U2 - Boy

All cracking albums, up there with the best of their back catalogues.

Martin R. lost my respect when he wrote a really nasty online piece on Morrissey a few years back. They have a great discography and I saw them live several times & the gigs were excellant but Martin kinda blew it for me.
Never liked Oasis at the start because of their scummy attitude, f'n this and f'n that, two fingers up at every opportunity. I grew to appreciate the tunes but would never cite them as being a favourite band.
Agree with you on both points, especially the Gallaghers. I got into them more once the peak of their fame passed. Noel’s solo stuff is great too. I hope they never reform.

A few that spring to mind for me are: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, Oasis - Definitely Maybe, The 1975 - The 1975, Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures and As you Were - Liam Gallagher.

Agree with you on both points, especially the Gallaghers. I got into them more once the peak of their fame passed. Noel’s solo stuff is great too. I hope they never reform.
Yeah I like Noel's band and Liam's solo stuff recently has been decent.

A few that spring to mind for me are: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, Oasis - Definitely Maybe, The 1975 - The 1975, Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures and As you Were - Liam Gallagher.
Ah, interesting choice putting Liam Gallagher in there. I didn’t consider debut albums by already established artists.

In that case, you’d have to have Viva Hate of course. And Noel Gallaghers debut as well I reckon. ‘Paper Monsters’ by Dave Gahan was great too. And ‘Grinderman’ by Grinderman, although that is effectively just Nick Cave & some of the Bad Seeds under a different name.

Generation Terrorists could have been on there too, but in my opinion it needed a few less songs. Still a great album though. Most bands never record something as great as Motorcycle Emptiness, let alone on their debut.

Generation Terrorists could have been on there too, but in my opinion it needed a few less songs. Still a great album though. Most bands never record something as great as Motorcycle Emptiness, let alone on their debut.
Yeah that is a great and ambitious debut, a double vinyl LP with gatefold sleeve...need to get that on the turntable 👍

Back
Top Bottom